Moose Shut out by Laval
The Manitoba Moose (25-24-3-2) were shut out, 3-0, by the Laval Rocket (22-24-5-4) on Friday evening at Place Bell. An early power play pushed the Rocket into the lead as Cale Fleury fired one in from the point 4:42 into the game. The Moose had a chance of their own with the man advantage minutes later, but it was Laval scoring during the opportunity. Nikita Jevpalovs sent a cross-crease feed to Lukas Vejdemo who redirected the puck up and over Eric Comrie for a shorthanded tally at 6:42. The Manitoba power play got another chance in the late stages of the period, but couldn't connect on a five-on-three opportunity as Laval took a 2-0 lead to the intermission.
Laval started the middle frame with a five-on-three advantage, but the Moose were able to shut down the power play opportunity. Just 20 seconds after the penalty expired, Laval made it 3-0 on a Maxim Lamarche point shot. The goal drew the ire of the Moose with a Laval forward standing deep in the blue paint as Comrie attempted to make the save. The Manitoba penalty kill came up with another big stop late in the period, canceling out a second Laval five-on-three power play.
The Moose controlled the third period, outshooting Laval 11-2 in the frame, but were unable to find a way past Michael McNiven. The Laval netminder made 24 saves for his second shutout of the season.
JC Lipon led the Moose with five shots on goal.
First time the Moose have been shut out since Dec. 1 (4-0 at Bakersfield).
Marko Dano has recorded a shot in 26 consecutive games. What's Next?
The Moose and Rocket go right back at it Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. CT in a game that can be heard on TSN 1290, moosehockey.com/listenlive and the Moose App. Tune in to the pre-game show starting at 1:45 p.m. CT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2019
- Iowa Falls in the Shootout to San Jose 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Finish Homestand with Shootout Victory against Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Blank Manitoba in Dominant 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Moose Shut out by Laval - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Pull off Wild Comeback, Stun Comets in Overtime for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Rally for Point, Fall in Shootout to Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Vande Sompel scores game-winner in Bridgeport's 13th overtime victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barracuda Down Wild in Shootout Behind Gambrell's Heroics - San Jose Barracuda
- Barber Nets Hat-Trick, Bears Rally Past Pens - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Hold off Springfield, 3-2 in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Shutout Marlies, 1-0, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Point in OT Loss to Cleveland - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Fall 5-4 to Sound Tigers in Overtime - Providence Bruins
- Sens Move Point Streak to 14 - Belleville Senators
- Haggerty Tallies Twice, But Penguins Fall to Hershey, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dalpe Dazzles in Return, Nets Two for Monsters in 3-2 OT Win over Ads - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Stumble at Home to Senators, 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Charlotte Holds off Phantoms 2-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Fleury Lifts Checkers over Phantoms 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Near-Miracle Comes up Just Short for T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Fall in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Eight - Utica Comets
- Marlies and Crunch Clash in North Division Battle - Toronto Marlies
- Sabres Recall O'Regan, Wilson - Rochester Americans
- Blackhawks Recall Jokiharju on Emergency Basis - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Trade Forward Vincent Praplan to the Florida Panthers - San Jose Barracuda
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Julius Bergman to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Goaltender Jonas Johansson Undergoes Successful Season-Ending Surgery - Rochester Americans
- Hogberg Backstopping Belleville on Playoff Push - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Reschedule Crunch at Your Service at Turning Stone Resort Casino for April 1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Panthers Acquire F Vincent Praplan from San Jose Sharks - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Detroit Recalls Sateri, Assigns Ehn and Reassigns Fulcher - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Acquire Abramov as Part of Duchene Trade - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Recall Defenseman Justin Wade from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Cleveland Monsters
- Ottawa Recalls Batherson and Brown - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Comets Sign Mike Szmatula to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Face Third Straight Three-In-Three Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Devils, February 22 - Belleville Senators
- Wild Sets Franchise Record for Home Wins with 4-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Outlasted by Wild, 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.