P-Bruins Fall 5-4 to Sound Tigers in Overtime
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins fell 5-4 to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in overtime Friday night. The P-Bruins got their goals Paul Carey, Gemel Smith, and Jordan Szwarz from while Zane McIntyre made his 33rd start of the season in net.
The Providence Bruins took the first period by storm when Paul Carey lit the lamp with an unassisted goal at 5:13 to give the P-Bruins a 1-0 lead. Bridgeport showed their resilience and tied the game at 14:13 when Connor Jones snuck the puck past McIntyre and into the net. The helpers on the play were Jeff Kubiak and Josh Ho-Sang as the Sound Tigers made the score 1-1. Providence continued their fast pace and strong defense when Gemel Smith potted their second goal of the game at 17:08, with assists by Emil Johansson and Zach Senyshyn. The P-Bruins entered the first intermission with a 2-1 lead.
The second period started with Bridgeport switching out goalie Christopher Gibson for Jeremy Smith. Jeff Kubiak tallied their second goal of the game making the score 2-2, with helpers Ben Holmstrom and Kyle Burroughs. The P-Bruins broke the tie when Jordan Szwarz netted a goal at 12:22, with assists from Jakub Zboril and Stempniak. The Sound Tigers quickly countered that goal with another at the end of the second. Chris Bourque potted Bridgeport's third goal of the game assisted by Sebastian Aho and Matt Lorito at 18:43, making it a 3-3 tie heading into the third period.
The P-Bruins started off the 3rd period strong with a defensive edge but after two unsuccessful power plays Bridgeport's Aho tallied their fourth goal of the game at 11:34 with helpers Ho-Sang and Michael Dal Colle. Providence continued to fight back when Carey netted his second goal of the night tying the game 4-4 at 13:19. The Sound Tigers redeemed themselves in overtime when Mitchell Vande Sompel netted the final goal at 1:09 in overtime, with helpers Michael Dal Colle and Josh Ho-Sang, to give his team a 5-4 overtime win.
McIntyre stopped 22 shots while Gibson stopped 12 shots and Smith stopped 18. Providence was 1/6 on the power play and 5-7 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are back at the Dunk on Sunday afternoon February 24th when they take on the the Hartford Wolfpack at 3:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2019
- Iowa Falls in the Shootout to San Jose 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Finish Homestand with Shootout Victory against Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Blank Manitoba in Dominant 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Moose Shut out by Laval - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Pull off Wild Comeback, Stun Comets in Overtime for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Rally for Point, Fall in Shootout to Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Vande Sompel scores game-winner in Bridgeport's 13th overtime victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barracuda Down Wild in Shootout Behind Gambrell's Heroics - San Jose Barracuda
- Barber Nets Hat-Trick, Bears Rally Past Pens - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Hold off Springfield, 3-2 in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Shutout Marlies, 1-0, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Point in OT Loss to Cleveland - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Fall 5-4 to Sound Tigers in Overtime - Providence Bruins
- Sens Move Point Streak to 14 - Belleville Senators
- Haggerty Tallies Twice, But Penguins Fall to Hershey, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dalpe Dazzles in Return, Nets Two for Monsters in 3-2 OT Win over Ads - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Stumble at Home to Senators, 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Charlotte Holds off Phantoms 2-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Fleury Lifts Checkers over Phantoms 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Near-Miracle Comes up Just Short for T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Fall in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Eight - Utica Comets
- Marlies and Crunch Clash in North Division Battle - Toronto Marlies
- Sabres Recall O'Regan, Wilson - Rochester Americans
- Blackhawks Recall Jokiharju on Emergency Basis - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Trade Forward Vincent Praplan to the Florida Panthers - San Jose Barracuda
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Julius Bergman to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Goaltender Jonas Johansson Undergoes Successful Season-Ending Surgery - Rochester Americans
- Hogberg Backstopping Belleville on Playoff Push - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Reschedule Crunch at Your Service at Turning Stone Resort Casino for April 1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Panthers Acquire F Vincent Praplan from San Jose Sharks - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Detroit Recalls Sateri, Assigns Ehn and Reassigns Fulcher - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Acquire Abramov as Part of Duchene Trade - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Recall Defenseman Justin Wade from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Cleveland Monsters
- Ottawa Recalls Batherson and Brown - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Comets Sign Mike Szmatula to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Face Third Straight Three-In-Three Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Devils, February 22 - Belleville Senators
- Wild Sets Franchise Record for Home Wins with 4-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Outlasted by Wild, 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Set Franchise Record with 12th Consecutive Win
- P-Bruins Tie Franchise Record, Beat Hershey Bears, 3-2, in Shootout
- P-Bruins Win 10th Straight Game, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 4-2
- P-Bruins Extend Win Streak to Nine Games, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 2-1, in Overtime
- P-Bruins Win Eighth Straight Game, Top Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-2