Admirals Earn Point in OT Loss to Cleveland
CLEVELAND - Zac Dalpe scored twice, including the game-winner 16 seconds into overtime, as the Cleveland Monsters edged the Milwaukee Admirals 3-2 in the first of two weekend games at Quicken Loans Arena on Friday night.
Justin Kirkland and Yakov Trenin scored second period goals for the for the Admirals, who picked up points for the second time in three games as part of a seven-game road swing.
Kole Sherwood, who returned after a call-up to Monsters parent club Columbus, netted one of the two power play tallies (6:07, second) for Cleveland.
Kirkland got the scoring started right as the Admirals' second power play of the night expired when he powered in from the left circle to lift in his sixth goal of the season at 3:23 mark of the second period.
At the 15:24 mark of the second, Trenin was sent in on a break off a pass by Anthony Richard from the neutral zone - Trenin kept the puck flat, deked and scored a forehand shot over the right shoulder of Monsters netminder Jean-Francois Berube for his 10th of the season to give the Admirals a 2-1 lead.
Dalpe tied the game at 2-2 and got the first of his two goals on the Monsters' second power play chance of the night at 18:06 of the second period he took a dump-in off the back boards behind the goal and played it to the front, where it took a deflection and went into the back of the net with Admirals goalie Tom McCollum going the other way.
Berube made 23 saves on 25 Admirals shots, while McCollum turned aside 32 of 35 for Milwaukee.
The Monsters finished 2-for-2 on the power play against the third-rated penalty kill unit in the AHL. The Admirals were 0-for-2.
The teams will meet again in Cleveland on Sunday at 2 p.m. CT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2019
- Iowa Falls in the Shootout to San Jose 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Finish Homestand with Shootout Victory against Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Blank Manitoba in Dominant 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Moose Shut out by Laval - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Pull off Wild Comeback, Stun Comets in Overtime for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Rally for Point, Fall in Shootout to Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Vande Sompel scores game-winner in Bridgeport's 13th overtime victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barracuda Down Wild in Shootout Behind Gambrell's Heroics - San Jose Barracuda
- Barber Nets Hat-Trick, Bears Rally Past Pens - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Hold off Springfield, 3-2 in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Shutout Marlies, 1-0, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Point in OT Loss to Cleveland - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Fall 5-4 to Sound Tigers in Overtime - Providence Bruins
- Sens Move Point Streak to 14 - Belleville Senators
- Haggerty Tallies Twice, But Penguins Fall to Hershey, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dalpe Dazzles in Return, Nets Two for Monsters in 3-2 OT Win over Ads - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Stumble at Home to Senators, 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Charlotte Holds off Phantoms 2-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Fleury Lifts Checkers over Phantoms 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Near-Miracle Comes up Just Short for T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Fall in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Eight - Utica Comets
- Marlies and Crunch Clash in North Division Battle - Toronto Marlies
- Sabres Recall O'Regan, Wilson - Rochester Americans
- Blackhawks Recall Jokiharju on Emergency Basis - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Trade Forward Vincent Praplan to the Florida Panthers - San Jose Barracuda
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Julius Bergman to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Goaltender Jonas Johansson Undergoes Successful Season-Ending Surgery - Rochester Americans
- Hogberg Backstopping Belleville on Playoff Push - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Reschedule Crunch at Your Service at Turning Stone Resort Casino for April 1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Panthers Acquire F Vincent Praplan from San Jose Sharks - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Detroit Recalls Sateri, Assigns Ehn and Reassigns Fulcher - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Acquire Abramov as Part of Duchene Trade - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Recall Defenseman Justin Wade from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Cleveland Monsters
- Ottawa Recalls Batherson and Brown - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Comets Sign Mike Szmatula to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Face Third Straight Three-In-Three Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Devils, February 22 - Belleville Senators
- Wild Sets Franchise Record for Home Wins with 4-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Outlasted by Wild, 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.