Barracuda Outlasted by Wild, 4-3
Des Moines, IA - For just the second time in franchise history the San Jose Barracuda (28-13-2-4) battled the Iowa Wild (28-16-6-4) (Minnesota Wild) at the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines and despite erasing three separate one-goal deficits, San Jose would give up a late power-play tally and fall 4-3 to the Wild on Thursday night.
After San Jose failed to score on a four-minute power-play at 4:09, the Wild found a way to draw first blood at 11:12 as Mitch McLain (7) moved in un-harassed to the high-slot before snapping a shot past Antoine Bibeau at 11:12. Just 16 seconds later, veteran sniper T.J. Hensick (1) bounced in his first as a member of Team Teal to even the score at 1-1.
In the second, Iowa regained its lead as Mike Kapla (2) pounded a one-timer past Bibeau from atop the left circle at 9:42. 48 seconds later the Barracuda would again answer as San Jose held in an Iowa clearing attempt before Dylan Gambrell (12) poked a loose puck past Kaapo Kahkonen from atop the crease. After Nate Prosser was called for boarding at 11:18, Cal O'Reilly (9) would bury a two-on-one shorthanded feed from Kyle Rau, but John McCarthy (8) would tie the game 59 seconds later as Prosser's penalty was near it expiration. The tally for San Jose's captain extended the Barracuda's power-play goal streak to five games and snapped McCarthy's 18-game goalless drought.
In the third, after the Barracuda were called for interference penalty, Matt Read (14) swiped in a blocker-save rebound along the left side of San Jose's net at 15:07 to make it 4-3. The Barracuda would pull Bibeau with under two minutes to play but failed to tie the game.
Bibeau's (11-8-5) stellar effort went without fruit as San Jose's netminder suffered the hard-luck loss after giving up four goals on 31 shots. Kahkonen (16-9-6) earned his second win over San Jose by making 31 saves on 34 shots.
The Barracuda are back in action on Friday in Iowa as they look for redemption against the Wild. Puck drop is set for 4 p.m. PT and you can listen to all the broadcast action on the Sharks + SAP Center App, sjbarracuda.com/listen and watch at watchtheahl.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2019
- Iowa Falls in the Shootout to San Jose 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Finish Homestand with Shootout Victory against Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Blank Manitoba in Dominant 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Moose Shut out by Laval - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Pull off Wild Comeback, Stun Comets in Overtime for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Rally for Point, Fall in Shootout to Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Vande Sompel scores game-winner in Bridgeport's 13th overtime victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barracuda Down Wild in Shootout Behind Gambrell's Heroics - San Jose Barracuda
- Barber Nets Hat-Trick, Bears Rally Past Pens - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Hold off Springfield, 3-2 in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Shutout Marlies, 1-0, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Point in OT Loss to Cleveland - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Fall 5-4 to Sound Tigers in Overtime - Providence Bruins
- Sens Move Point Streak to 14 - Belleville Senators
- Haggerty Tallies Twice, But Penguins Fall to Hershey, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dalpe Dazzles in Return, Nets Two for Monsters in 3-2 OT Win over Ads - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Stumble at Home to Senators, 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Charlotte Holds off Phantoms 2-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Fleury Lifts Checkers over Phantoms 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Near-Miracle Comes up Just Short for T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Fall in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Eight - Utica Comets
- Marlies and Crunch Clash in North Division Battle - Toronto Marlies
- Sabres Recall O'Regan, Wilson - Rochester Americans
- Blackhawks Recall Jokiharju on Emergency Basis - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Trade Forward Vincent Praplan to the Florida Panthers - San Jose Barracuda
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Julius Bergman to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Goaltender Jonas Johansson Undergoes Successful Season-Ending Surgery - Rochester Americans
- Hogberg Backstopping Belleville on Playoff Push - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Reschedule Crunch at Your Service at Turning Stone Resort Casino for April 1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Panthers Acquire F Vincent Praplan from San Jose Sharks - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Detroit Recalls Sateri, Assigns Ehn and Reassigns Fulcher - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Acquire Abramov as Part of Duchene Trade - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Recall Defenseman Justin Wade from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Cleveland Monsters
- Ottawa Recalls Batherson and Brown - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Comets Sign Mike Szmatula to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Face Third Straight Three-In-Three Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Devils, February 22 - Belleville Senators
- Wild Sets Franchise Record for Home Wins with 4-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Outlasted by Wild, 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.