Devils Stumble at Home to Senators, 5-3
BINGHAMTON - The Binghamton Devils surrendered three goals in the third period in a 5-3 loss to the Belleville Senators at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena on Friday night.
Belleville opened the scoring 9:00 into the game after the Devils took a tripping penalty. Senators forward Jack Rodewald had a Nick Paul slap shot deflect off of his skate and into the net with the man advantage for a 1-0 lead.
After they were unable to solve Belleville goaltender Marcus Hogberg on consecutive odd-man rushes, the Devils got a good bounce of their own to even the score at one-apiece with 2:52 remaining in the first period. Brandon Gignac's shot from the wall banked off of Nathan Bastian as he crashed the net and found its way past Hogberg. John Ramage registered an assist on the goal as well. Mackenzie Blackwood was called upon to make a save on a 2-on-1 with 45 seconds left in the period and held the game at 1-1 heading into the second period.
Belleville took the lead back at 10:36 in the second period as Joseph LaBate redirected Erik Burgdoerfer's shot from the blue line past Blackwood. The Senators lead wouldn't last long, as John Quenneville scored his 16th goal of the season 47 seconds later. Nick Lappin won a battle along the wall and found a wide-open Quenneville in the slot who fired a wicked wrister past Hogberg to make it a 2-2 game. The teams remained tied at two as they horn called an end to the middle frame.
Belleville scored 4:38 into the third period on a 4-on-3 powerplay opportunity. Jordan Murray gathered a pass from the circle and fired a wrist shot under the bar and past Blackwood, making it a 3-2 score.
The Senators then tacked on a shorthanded goal with 8:14 remaining to take a two-goal lead. Rodewald took a pass from the goal line from Chase Balisy, pulled a toe-drag, and roofed the puck past Blackwood.
The Devils fought back to make it 4-3 with just under six minutes remaining in the game, as a bouncing puck found its way to the tape of Lappin, who lifted the puck over a sprawling Hogberg. Josh Jacobs and Ryan Murphy tallied assists.
However, Nick Paul beat Blackwood on a sharp angle shot from the boards 1:55 later, giving the Senators another two-goal lead and an eventual 5-3 win.
The Binghamton Devils return home tomorrow against Utica for Mascot Mania presented by McDonald's. Join the New Jersey Devils mascot, NJ Devil, and all of Devil Dawg's friends for Mascot Mania at 7:05 p.m. Kids 12 and under get tickets for just $10. Call or text "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Binghamton Devils full season memberships are now available for the 2019-20 season! Get great benefits such as FREE New Jersey Devils NHL tickets,exclusive access to Devils players, a brand new referral program, gift cards, and much more! For information on becoming a member, text "MEMBER" to 607-722-7367.
For more information, including pricing, group outings, taking a limo to the game, fan experiences, and much more, visit www.binghamtondevils.com or call the Devils front office at 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils left wing Eric Tangradi (left) against the Belleville Senators
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2019
- Iowa Falls in the Shootout to San Jose 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Finish Homestand with Shootout Victory against Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Blank Manitoba in Dominant 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Moose Shut out by Laval - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Pull off Wild Comeback, Stun Comets in Overtime for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Rally for Point, Fall in Shootout to Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Vande Sompel scores game-winner in Bridgeport's 13th overtime victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barracuda Down Wild in Shootout Behind Gambrell's Heroics - San Jose Barracuda
- Barber Nets Hat-Trick, Bears Rally Past Pens - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Hold off Springfield, 3-2 in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Shutout Marlies, 1-0, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Point in OT Loss to Cleveland - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Fall 5-4 to Sound Tigers in Overtime - Providence Bruins
- Sens Move Point Streak to 14 - Belleville Senators
- Haggerty Tallies Twice, But Penguins Fall to Hershey, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dalpe Dazzles in Return, Nets Two for Monsters in 3-2 OT Win over Ads - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Stumble at Home to Senators, 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Charlotte Holds off Phantoms 2-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Fleury Lifts Checkers over Phantoms 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Near-Miracle Comes up Just Short for T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Fall in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Eight - Utica Comets
- Marlies and Crunch Clash in North Division Battle - Toronto Marlies
- Sabres Recall O'Regan, Wilson - Rochester Americans
- Blackhawks Recall Jokiharju on Emergency Basis - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Trade Forward Vincent Praplan to the Florida Panthers - San Jose Barracuda
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Julius Bergman to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Goaltender Jonas Johansson Undergoes Successful Season-Ending Surgery - Rochester Americans
- Hogberg Backstopping Belleville on Playoff Push - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Reschedule Crunch at Your Service at Turning Stone Resort Casino for April 1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Panthers Acquire F Vincent Praplan from San Jose Sharks - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Detroit Recalls Sateri, Assigns Ehn and Reassigns Fulcher - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Acquire Abramov as Part of Duchene Trade - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Recall Defenseman Justin Wade from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Cleveland Monsters
- Ottawa Recalls Batherson and Brown - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Comets Sign Mike Szmatula to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Face Third Straight Three-In-Three Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Devils, February 22 - Belleville Senators
- Wild Sets Franchise Record for Home Wins with 4-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Outlasted by Wild, 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Binghamton Devils Stories
- Binghamton Devils Re-Sign Ryan Schmelzer to AHL Contract
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Street Named Devils' 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Devils, Americans, Comets, and Crunch to Host Blood Drives
- AHL Suspends Season - Statement from the Binghamton Devils