Charlotte Holds off Phantoms 2-1
Charlotte, NC - The Lehigh Valley Phantoms traveled to Charlotte, North Carolina for the first time since last May's playoff series victory and epic five overtime game but this time the Charlotte Checkers exacted their revenge in the form of a 2-1 victory on Friday night at Bojangles' Coliseum.
Mike Vecchione (12th) scored shorthanded for the Phantoms from Corban Knight and Mark Friedman but the Checkers rallied with goals by Nick Schilkey (12th) in the first period and Hayden Fleury (2nd) in the middle period. Alex Lyon turned in a 32-save effort that includes several dazzlers in the second frame to keep the Phantoms close. But Alex Nedeljkovic pushed aside 25 Phantoms' drives in his league-leading 25th win of the season.
Vecchione's breakaway conversion with under 5:00 remaining in the first period was good for the team's sixth shorthanded goal of the year. Knight made a sharp pass to set up the drive and the Charlotte netminder came way out for an aggressive poke-check try but missed. After Vecchione dodged to the right of Nedeljkovic he deposited the puck into the entirely empty-net. Knight's assist gives him six points in four games since arriving to the Phantom two weeks ago after sitting out four months following shoulder surgery in October.
Greg Carey had a close-call in the third period in the Phantoms efforts to even the score but Nedeljkovic just barely got a glove on the drive to deflect it away.
Hulking defenseman Samuel Morin was back in the lineup for the second game of his conditioning rehab stint. He eventually dropped the gloves with Josiah Didier with under a minute left in his first fight in a year. This was also the same arena in which Morin took his knee injury back on May 9 at the beginning of the game that would eventually go five overtimes.
The Lehigh Valley Phantoms and Charlotte Checkers will rematch on Saturday at 6:00 with broadcast coverage on 790-WAEB and the Phantoms 365 app.
The Phantoms return to PPL Center on Saturday, March 2 against the Utica Comets on Game Show Night. Then the Phantoms will host the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on Sunday ,March 3 at 3:05 p.m. on Youth Jersey Day for the first 2,000 kids age 14 and younger. Tickets are available at PPLCenter.com
Lehigh Valley Phantoms 1 at Charlotte Checkers 2 - Status: Final
Friday - Bojangles' Coliseum
Lehigh Valley 1 0 0 - 1
Charlotte 1 1 0 - 2
1st Period-1, Lehigh Valley, Vecchione 12 (Knight, Friedman), 15:08 (SH). 2, Charlotte, Schilkey 12 (Roy, Carrick), 19:16. Penalties-Schilkey Cha (slashing), 8:25; Aube-Kubel Lv (cross-checking), 14:57; Poturalski Cha (holding), 19:56.
2nd Period-3, Charlotte, Fleury 2 (Poturalski, Didier), 11:26. Penalties-Vorobyev Lv (roughing), 15:04.
3rd Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Morin Lv (fighting), 19:09; Didier Cha (fighting), 19:09.
Shots on Goal-Lehigh Valley 6-8-12-26. Charlotte 9-17-8-34.
Power Play Opportunities-Lehigh Valley 0 / 2; Charlotte 0 / 2.
Goalies-Lehigh Valley, Lyon 11-11-2 (34 shots-32 saves). Charlotte, Nedeljkovic 25-6-4 (26 shots-25 saves).
Referees-Sean Fernandez (72), Jeremy Tufts (78).
Linesmen-Scott Senger (28), Ben Shiley (21).
Follow the action @LVPhantoms on Twitter, on AHLTV or the Phantoms365 App.
Tickets for each and every Phantoms home game throughout the 2018-19 season are available online at pplcenter.com, by calling 610-347-TIXX  or in-person at the QNB Box Office [7th & Hamilton].
Images from this story
Lehigh Valley Phantoms center Mike Vecchione
Lehigh Valley Phantoms battle the Charlotte Checkers
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2019
- Iowa Falls in the Shootout to San Jose 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Finish Homestand with Shootout Victory against Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Blank Manitoba in Dominant 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Moose Shut out by Laval - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Pull off Wild Comeback, Stun Comets in Overtime for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Rally for Point, Fall in Shootout to Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Vande Sompel scores game-winner in Bridgeport's 13th overtime victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barracuda Down Wild in Shootout Behind Gambrell's Heroics - San Jose Barracuda
- Barber Nets Hat-Trick, Bears Rally Past Pens - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Hold off Springfield, 3-2 in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Shutout Marlies, 1-0, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Point in OT Loss to Cleveland - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Fall 5-4 to Sound Tigers in Overtime - Providence Bruins
- Sens Move Point Streak to 14 - Belleville Senators
- Haggerty Tallies Twice, But Penguins Fall to Hershey, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dalpe Dazzles in Return, Nets Two for Monsters in 3-2 OT Win over Ads - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Stumble at Home to Senators, 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Charlotte Holds off Phantoms 2-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Fleury Lifts Checkers over Phantoms 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Near-Miracle Comes up Just Short for T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Fall in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Eight - Utica Comets
- Marlies and Crunch Clash in North Division Battle - Toronto Marlies
- Sabres Recall O'Regan, Wilson - Rochester Americans
- Blackhawks Recall Jokiharju on Emergency Basis - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Trade Forward Vincent Praplan to the Florida Panthers - San Jose Barracuda
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Julius Bergman to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Goaltender Jonas Johansson Undergoes Successful Season-Ending Surgery - Rochester Americans
- Hogberg Backstopping Belleville on Playoff Push - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Reschedule Crunch at Your Service at Turning Stone Resort Casino for April 1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Panthers Acquire F Vincent Praplan from San Jose Sharks - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Detroit Recalls Sateri, Assigns Ehn and Reassigns Fulcher - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Acquire Abramov as Part of Duchene Trade - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Recall Defenseman Justin Wade from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Cleveland Monsters
- Ottawa Recalls Batherson and Brown - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Comets Sign Mike Szmatula to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Face Third Straight Three-In-Three Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Devils, February 22 - Belleville Senators
- Wild Sets Franchise Record for Home Wins with 4-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Outlasted by Wild, 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.