Barber Nets Hat-Trick, Bears Rally Past Pens
(Wilkes-Barre, PA) - Riley Barber notched a hat-trick and rallied the Hershey Bears to a thrilling 4-2 win over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Friday night at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza. The win extended Hershey's win streak to 10 games, and set a new franchise record with points in 16 consecutive games.
After a scoreless opening period, Barber opened the scoring for the Bears. Zach Trotman and Joseph Blandisi were penalized 30 seconds apart early in the second period, and Hershey hit pay-dirt on the man-advantage. Three seconds after the ensuing 5-on-3 turned into a 5-on-4, Barber blasted a shot underneath Penguins goaltender Tristan Jarry at 2:47 for his 22nd of the season.
Later in the second period, Ryan Haggerty answered for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton with a pair of goals on Vitek Vanecek. At 9:08, Haggerty avoided pressure along the right wing and walked into the high-slot. A quick release beat a screened Vanecek to even the score at 1-1. Haggerty scored his 15th of the season at 14:58 after a flubbed clearing attempt along the half-boards near the blue line. Hershey trailed 2-1 after 40 minutes 21-20 lead in shots.
Into the third period, the Chocolate and White wasted little time to draw even. Only 55 seconds into the third, Jayson Megna tied the game at 2-2 on a nifty breakaway goal. On a 2-on-1 rush, Liam O'Brien feathered a flat, head-man pass to Megna slipping behind the defense. He buried a forehand-backhand move off the bottom of the cross-bar and into the cage for his 13th goal of the season.
In the later stages of regulation, Barber lifted the Bears to a lead with late-game heroics. Forechecking in the offensive end, Barber went bar-down on Jarry after receiving a crisp feed from Mike Sgarbossa at the 16:19 mark. The Pens burned their lone timeout and benched Jarry in favor for the extra attacker in the final minute. Barber scored the hat-trick into the empty net at 19:57 to lift Hershey to a 4-2 win. It's his second career hat-trick, and first since Jan. 30, 2016 against the Syracuse Crunch.
The Bears were 0-11-0-0 when trailing on the road after 40 minutes before tonight's dramatic win. Hershey improved their overall record to 30-20-0-3. The Chocolate and White return to the ice tomorrow, Feb. 23 versus the Rockford IceHogs at Giant Center. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m. Ticket information is available online at HersheyBears.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2019
- Iowa Falls in the Shootout to San Jose 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Finish Homestand with Shootout Victory against Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Blank Manitoba in Dominant 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Moose Shut out by Laval - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Pull off Wild Comeback, Stun Comets in Overtime for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Rally for Point, Fall in Shootout to Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Vande Sompel scores game-winner in Bridgeport's 13th overtime victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barracuda Down Wild in Shootout Behind Gambrell's Heroics - San Jose Barracuda
- Barber Nets Hat-Trick, Bears Rally Past Pens - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Hold off Springfield, 3-2 in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Shutout Marlies, 1-0, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Point in OT Loss to Cleveland - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Fall 5-4 to Sound Tigers in Overtime - Providence Bruins
- Sens Move Point Streak to 14 - Belleville Senators
- Haggerty Tallies Twice, But Penguins Fall to Hershey, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dalpe Dazzles in Return, Nets Two for Monsters in 3-2 OT Win over Ads - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Stumble at Home to Senators, 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Charlotte Holds off Phantoms 2-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Fleury Lifts Checkers over Phantoms 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Near-Miracle Comes up Just Short for T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Fall in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Eight - Utica Comets
- Marlies and Crunch Clash in North Division Battle - Toronto Marlies
- Sabres Recall O'Regan, Wilson - Rochester Americans
- Blackhawks Recall Jokiharju on Emergency Basis - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Trade Forward Vincent Praplan to the Florida Panthers - San Jose Barracuda
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Julius Bergman to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Goaltender Jonas Johansson Undergoes Successful Season-Ending Surgery - Rochester Americans
- Hogberg Backstopping Belleville on Playoff Push - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Reschedule Crunch at Your Service at Turning Stone Resort Casino for April 1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Panthers Acquire F Vincent Praplan from San Jose Sharks - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Detroit Recalls Sateri, Assigns Ehn and Reassigns Fulcher - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Acquire Abramov as Part of Duchene Trade - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Recall Defenseman Justin Wade from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Cleveland Monsters
- Ottawa Recalls Batherson and Brown - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Comets Sign Mike Szmatula to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Face Third Straight Three-In-Three Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Devils, February 22 - Belleville Senators
- Wild Sets Franchise Record for Home Wins with 4-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Outlasted by Wild, 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bears Announce Roster for 2021 Training Camp
- Hershey Bears Announce Schedule for 2020-21 Season
- Bears Ink Defenders O'Gara and Willcox to Professional Tryouts
- Bruce Boudreau Brings USPHL Junior Hockey Team to Hershey
- Hershey Bears to Host GIANT Drive-Thru Teddy Bear Toss Saturday, January 23