Grizzlies Blank Chasers 8-0
Grizzlies first baseman Jose Marmolejos drove in four runs while five Fresno pitchers combined for a two-hit shutout, including four perfect frames of relief, in an 8-0 victory over the Omaha Storm Chasers on Monday evening at Chukhansi Park.
RF Andrew Stevenson lofted a sacrifice fly in the third to begin Fresno's scoring. The 1-0 advantage would remain until the sixth, when the Grizzlies plated four scores, highlighted by homers from SS Matt Reynolds and C Raudy Read . Marmolejos one inning later smashed a bases-clearing double to left to extend the margin to eight.
Fresno 3B Jake Noll (3-4, 2 R, 2B) posted a game-high three hits, with Marmolejos (2-3, 2B, 4 RBI), Reynolds (2-4, R, HR, RBI) and CF Collin Cowgill (2-3, 3B, BB) adding multi-hit efforts as well. Omaha R Brett Phillips (1-2, BB) and C Nick Dini (1-3) were the lone Storm Chasers hitters to record a hit. 3B Kelvin Gutierrez saw his 25-game on-base streak snapped with Omaha in the defeat.
Grizzlies starter Joe Ross (5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, BB, 4 K) earned the victory by tossing the first five scoreless innings, with relievers George Kontos (1.0 IP), Henderson Alvarez (1.0 IP), Dakota Bacus (1.0 IP) and Fernando Rodney (1.0 IP) combining for the final four perfect frames. Storm Chasers lefty Jake Kalish (4.2 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 3 BB, K) suffered the defeat after Josh Staumont (2.0 IP, H, BB, 2 K) opened the game with two shutout frames, his fifth straight scoreless outing.
The two teams are set to complete their four-game set on Tuesday evening, with first pitch scheduled for 9:05pm CT. RHP Arnaldo Hernandez is anticipated to toe the rubber for Omaha in the series finale, while RHP Austin Voth (3-5, 4.40) is expected to get the nod for the Grizzlies.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 18, 2019
- Sounds Stung by Bees in Doubleheader Sweep - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Use Offensive Explosion to Complete Sweep - San Antonio Missions
- Rainiers Edge Express 3-1 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Perez Legs out Inside-The-Park Home Run as Rainiers Win Second-Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aviators Complete Four-Game Sweep with 12-1 Rout of Memphis - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- I-Cubs Sink River Cats - Iowa Cubs
- New Orleans Defeats Albuquerque, 10-6, in Final Matchup - Albuquerque Isotopes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Finish Series with Las Vegas - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (28-41) vs. Salt Lake Bees (31-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Seven-Time All-Star Kimbrel Joins I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Swinging the Bat with Confidence - San Antonio Missions
- Las Vegas Host Sacramento from June 20-24 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Grizzlies Blank Chasers 8-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-42) vs Las Vegas Aviators (39-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Offense crushes six home runs in loss to Cubs - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Earn 10-8 Victory in Sacramento - Iowa Cubs
- Fresno clicks on all cylinders in 8-0 triumph over Omaha - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Prevail in Tight Contest in El Paso - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City Rallies past Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Memphis Dropped by Las Vegas, 15-6 - Memphis Redbirds
- Rainiers Edge Express 3-2 - Round Rock Express
- Missions Keep Cruising, Claim Fifth Straight Victory - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.