Fresno clicks on all cylinders in 8-0 triumph over Omaha
Fresno, California - The Fresno Grizzlies (35-35) conquered the Omaha Storm Chasers (34-37) 8-0 from Chukchansi Park. Five pitchers combined to throw the fourth shutout by Fresno this season. Joe Ross (2-0) earned the win after five frames of two-hit ball. George Kontos, Henderson Alvarez III, Dakota Bacus and Fernando Rodney followed Ross with four perfect innings. The last baserunner for Omaha came with one out in the fifth.
The Grizzlies offense mustered 11 hits with six going for extra-bases. Collin Cowgill tripled and scored the first run on an Andrew Stevenson sacrifice fly. In the sixth, Matt Reynolds made it 2-0 after powering his seventh homer of the year off the scoreboard in left-center. Later in the frame, Raudy Read launched a two-run clout to left field, his 10th of the 2019 campaign.
An inning later, Jose Marmolejos cleared the bags with a double to left-center. Stevenson, Wilmer Difo and Jake Noll plated the runs. Noll added three hits and two runs on the evening. Marmolejos enjoyed a four-RBI contest, his second in seven games. In that span, he has tallied 13 RBI. Collin Cowgill recorded two rips in the victory.
Storm Chasers lefty Jake Kalish (4-4) suffered the decision after four-plus frames of work. Josh Staumont opened for Omaha, hurling two innings. Brett Phillips reached base twice in the loss.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- Pitching staff (9.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K)
- 1B Jose Marmolejos (2-3, 2B, 4 RBI)
- 3B Jake Noll (3-4, 2B, 2 R)
- SS Matt Reynolds (2-4, HR, RBI, R)
- C Raudy Read (1-4, HR, 2 RBI, R)
Top Performers: Omaha Storm Chasers (Kansas City Royals)
- RF Brett Phillips (1-2, BB)
- RHP Josh Staumont (2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Tuesday June 18 Omaha Storm Chasers (Home) RHP Kyle McGowin (Fresno) vs. RHP Arnaldo Hernandez (Omaha) 7:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: The five pitchers who appeared in Fresno's 8-0 win Monday night against Omaha have 1,425 games of MLB experience. Joe Ross (67 games, 48 starts), George Kontos (350 relief outings), Henderson Alvarez III (95 starts) and Fernando Rodney (913 games out of the bullpen) are the recipients of this feat. The one arm without big league time yet, Dakota Bacus, lowered his ERA to 0.99.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 18, 2019
- Sounds Stung by Bees in Doubleheader Sweep - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Use Offensive Explosion to Complete Sweep - San Antonio Missions
- Rainiers Edge Express 3-1 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Perez Legs out Inside-The-Park Home Run as Rainiers Win Second-Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aviators Complete Four-Game Sweep with 12-1 Rout of Memphis - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- I-Cubs Sink River Cats - Iowa Cubs
- New Orleans Defeats Albuquerque, 10-6, in Final Matchup - Albuquerque Isotopes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Finish Series with Las Vegas - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (28-41) vs. Salt Lake Bees (31-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Seven-Time All-Star Kimbrel Joins I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Swinging the Bat with Confidence - San Antonio Missions
- Las Vegas Host Sacramento from June 20-24 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Grizzlies Blank Chasers 8-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-42) vs Las Vegas Aviators (39-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Offense crushes six home runs in loss to Cubs - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Earn 10-8 Victory in Sacramento - Iowa Cubs
- Fresno clicks on all cylinders in 8-0 triumph over Omaha - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Prevail in Tight Contest in El Paso - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City Rallies past Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Memphis Dropped by Las Vegas, 15-6 - Memphis Redbirds
- Rainiers Edge Express 3-2 - Round Rock Express
- Missions Keep Cruising, Claim Fifth Straight Victory - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Hoover deals six innings of one-run ball, Grizzlies beat Aces 3-2
- Grizzlies/Tacos/Lowriders Return Home for Six Games, July 23-28
- Crowe dazzles as Fresno outlasts Reno 8-5 in 11 innings
- Recycle E-Waste at Chukchansi Park on August 3
- Grizzlies avoid sweep in classic Albuquerque slugfest