Rainiers Edge Express 3-2
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express (42-28) suffered a narrow 3-2 loss to the Tacoma Rainiers (33-38) in game three of their four-game series on Monday night at Dell Diamond. Express CF Drew Ferguson posted an impressive night at the plate going 3-5 with two triples and an RBI.
Round Rock RHP Brandon Bielak (0-3, 9.17) suffered a tough-luck loss after an impressive start in which he allowed one run on three hits. The righty fanned five hitters in his 6.0 innings of work. On the winning side, Tacoma RHP Reggie McClain (2-1, 4.08) held the E-Train to 2.1 scoreless innings while punching out three.
Rehabbing Houston Astros 2B Jose Altuve finished 1-4 with a triple, a walk and two strikeouts in the third start of his current major league rehab assignment, this time as Round Rock's designated hitter.
Rainiers RF John Andreoli fueled the visitors' win as he broke a scoreless tie with a solo home run in the fourth inning. Andreoli burned Round Rock for the second time in the seventh as he notched another homer, this time a two-run shot, scoring C Jose Lobaton who previously worked a walk along the way.
The E-Train threated a late rally, pulling within 3-2 in the eighth inning. To lead off the frame, RF Kyle Tucker drew a walk before stealing both second and third base. Tucker then had plenty of time to run home as Ferguson sent his second triple of the night deep into left field. The next at-bat, Ferguson scored a run of his own on an AJ Reed groundout.
In the ninth, 2B Alex De Goti reached base after being hit by a pitch prior to Altuve and SS Josh Rojas working back-to-back walks to load the bases. However, Tacoma RHP Parker Markel worked around the bases-loaded jam to secure Tacoma's first win of the series.
Round Rock aims for a series win in Tuesday night's game three while Tacoma hopes to settle for a split. Express RHP Akeem Bostick (4-2, 6.02) is scheduled to start opposite Rainiers LHP Sean Nolin (1-1, 6.75). First pitch at Dell Diamond is set for 7:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 18, 2019
- Sounds Stung by Bees in Doubleheader Sweep - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Use Offensive Explosion to Complete Sweep - San Antonio Missions
- Rainiers Edge Express 3-1 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
- Perez Legs out Inside-The-Park Home Run as Rainiers Win Second-Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aviators Complete Four-Game Sweep with 12-1 Rout of Memphis - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs Reno Aces - San Antonio Missions
- I-Cubs Sink River Cats - Iowa Cubs
- New Orleans Defeats Albuquerque, 10-6, in Final Matchup - Albuquerque Isotopes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds Finish Series with Las Vegas - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (28-41) vs. Salt Lake Bees (31-37) - Nashville Sounds
- Seven-Time All-Star Kimbrel Joins I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Swinging the Bat with Confidence - San Antonio Missions
- Las Vegas Host Sacramento from June 20-24 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Grizzlies Blank Chasers 8-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (29-42) vs Las Vegas Aviators (39-32) - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Offense crushes six home runs in loss to Cubs - Sacramento River Cats
- I-Cubs Earn 10-8 Victory in Sacramento - Iowa Cubs
- Fresno clicks on all cylinders in 8-0 triumph over Omaha - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Prevail in Tight Contest in El Paso - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Oklahoma City Rallies past Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Memphis Dropped by Las Vegas, 15-6 - Memphis Redbirds
- Rainiers Edge Express 3-2 - Round Rock Express
- Missions Keep Cruising, Claim Fifth Straight Victory - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Express RHP Brandon Bielak Fuels Lopsided 13-0 Victory over Baby Cakes
- New Orleans Stuns Round Rock in 6-5 Walkoff Defeat
- Express Bested by Redbirds 10-4 in Series Finale
- Round Rock Express, RS3 Turf and ECHO Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Playing Fields at Pflugerville Little League
- Los Lonely Boys to Perform First Concert at Brushy Creek Amphitheater