Grizz Win 3-1 with Biggest Maverik Center Crowd of Season
West Valley City, Utah - A crowd of 8412 at Maverik Center on Guns and Hoses Night saw the Utah Grizzlies get goals from Mitch Maxwell, Taylor Richart and Travis Barron in a 3-1 win over the Wichita Thunder on Saturday night.
Grizzlies scored first at Mitch Maxwell cleaned up in the crease on a Sasha Larocque shot 54 seconds into the game. Captain and 2020 All-Star Taylor Richart scored a power play goal with 2:48 left in the first. Utah led 2-0 after 1, outshooting Wichita 13 to 8. On the night Utah outshot Wichita 36 to 18.
Thunder's Spencer Dorowicz scored his 11th of the season 10:50 into the second period.
Mason McDonald stopped a penalty shot by Garrett Schmitz 12:07 into the third. He also stopped a 3 on 1 and a Patrik Parkkonen breakaway in the second half of the third period. McDonald stopped 17 of 18 to pick up the victory for the second straight night.
Travis Barron gets an empty net goal with 5 seconds left to complete the scoring. Utah went 2 for 6 on the power play while Wichita went 0 for 3 on the man advantage. Yuri Terao had 2 assists for the Grizzlies, who have standings points in 19 of their last 22 games.
Grizzlies next game is a 1 pm Martin Luther King Matinee against the division rival Idaho Steelheads. It's a Maverik Monday, where tickets are buy one get one free when you show your Maverik Adventure Card at the box office. Tickets are available at utahgrizzlies.com or at the Maverik Center Box Office.
1. Taylor Richart (Utah) - 1 goal.
2. Mitch Maxwell (Utah) - 1 goal.
3. Yuri Terao (Utah) - 2 assists.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 19, 2020
- Mackin and Power Play Smear Railers, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- Rush Fall in Finale against Cincinnati - Rapid City Rush
- Railers Skid Hits Three Games in 5-1 Loss in Reading - Worcester Railers HC
- Solar Bears Score Late to Edge Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Behind Lacouvee, Mariners Blank Beast - Maine Mariners
- Cyclones Head into All-Star Break with Series Win over Rush - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Beast Shutout as Mariners Avoid Weekend Sweep - Brampton Beast
- ECHL Transactions - January 19 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Notes: at Cincinnati - Rapid City Rush
- Royals Acquire G Tirone - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Furgele Dealt to Greenville - Maine Mariners
- Swamp Rabbits Acquire Furgele from Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals and Railers Tangle for Sunday-Monday Set - Reading Royals
- Thunder Closes Western Swing with 3-1 Loss at Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Weather Storm, Explode in Third to Defeat Idaho - Tulsa Oilers
- Controversial Third Period Dooms Rush against Cyclones - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Offense Explodes in 8-2 Win over Kansas City - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win 3-1 with Biggest Maverik Center Crowd of Season - Utah Grizzlies
- Walleye Rally to Defeat Komets in Shootout - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads Fall 3-1 in Home Weekend Finale Sellout to Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.