Solar Bears Score Late to Edge Stingrays
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - Trevor Olson scored with less than two minutes remaining to give the Orlando Solar Bears (16-16-5-1) a 2-1 decision at the hands of the South Carolina Stingrays (30-6-3-1) on Sunday afternoon at the North Charleston Coliseum.
Forward Dan DeSalvo had the lone goal of the contest for South Carolina, while goaltender Logan Thompson turned aside 28 Orlando shots in a losing effort.
The Solar Bears grabbed the lead at 12:55 of the first when Johno May scored to make it 1-0.
Neither team was able to get on the board in the second despite a total of eight minor penalties that were called in the frame.
However, just 13 seconds into the third, DeSavlo took a long stretch pass from Cole Ully and raced in alone on a breakaway in the Orlando zone. He then beat goaltender Zachary Fucale with a shot to the top right corner of the net to even the score at 1-1. The goal also came with a second assist from defender Tom Parisi.
With the game even in the final minutes, Olson picked up a loose puck in the SC zone and fired a quick shot past Thompson to give the Solar Bears the lead for good at 2-1.
The Rays had the only power play goal of the game and finished 1-for-5 on the man-advantage. Orlando ended at 0-for-3 on the power play in the contest. The Solar Bears outshot the Stingrays 30-27 and Fucale earned the win with 26 saves.
South Carolina heads to Norfolk next weekend for two games with the Admirals beginning Friday night at 7:35 p.m. at the Norfolk Scope.
- Tickets for all of the team's upcoming 2019-20 home contests are on sale now via Ticketmaster.
Images from this story
Dan DeSalvo of the South Carolina Stingrays vs. the Orlando Solar Bears
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 19, 2020
- Mackin and Power Play Smear Railers, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- Rush Fall in Finale against Cincinnati - Rapid City Rush
- Railers Skid Hits Three Games in 5-1 Loss in Reading - Worcester Railers HC
- Solar Bears Score Late to Edge Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Behind Lacouvee, Mariners Blank Beast - Maine Mariners
- Cyclones Head into All-Star Break with Series Win over Rush - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Beast Shutout as Mariners Avoid Weekend Sweep - Brampton Beast
- ECHL Transactions - January 19 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Notes: at Cincinnati - Rapid City Rush
- Royals Acquire G Tirone - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Furgele Dealt to Greenville - Maine Mariners
- Swamp Rabbits Acquire Furgele from Maine - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals and Railers Tangle for Sunday-Monday Set - Reading Royals
- Thunder Closes Western Swing with 3-1 Loss at Utah - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Weather Storm, Explode in Third to Defeat Idaho - Tulsa Oilers
- Controversial Third Period Dooms Rush against Cyclones - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Offense Explodes in 8-2 Win over Kansas City - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win 3-1 with Biggest Maverik Center Crowd of Season - Utah Grizzlies
- Walleye Rally to Defeat Komets in Shootout - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads Fall 3-1 in Home Weekend Finale Sellout to Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.