Goaltending Duel Ends in Stars Defeat
WINNIPEG, Manitoba - The Texas Stars, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, were blanked by the Manitoba Moose and goaltender Mikhail Berdin with 34 saves and a 2-0 decision. Stars netminder Philippe Desrosiers made 31 saves on 32 shots in the game as the pair of netminders held the game scoreless into the third period.
The Stars and Moose traded chances throughout the contest, both ringing the post in the first period. Forward Joel L'Esperance had the best chance of the game for Texas, sending a shot off the cross bar during an early Stars power play. The effort was as close as the Stars would come with the rookie Moose netminder standing tall for 60 minutes of hockey. Manitoba was held away from Desrosiers for much of the game but the netminder held the Moose at bay even through a pair of power plays and an early third period surge.
For the first time this season, Texas entered the third period in a scoreless situation. The first goal came after Marko Dano beat out an icing call and forced Desrosiers to wrap the puck around the boards. The Moose forward sent a backhand pass across the slot to a wide open Logan Shaw who used a backhanded move to open the scoring 4:50 into the third period. It was the only shot to beat a goaltender in the game.
Texas fought feverishly to tie the score in the final 15 minutes of play but came up short. The Stars eventually required an extra attacker in the final two minutes of play. Moose winger Seth Griffith quickly notched the extra tally on the empty net after a Stars timeout. Berdin countered with a few late saves against the Stars including a last second sprawling stop on Michael Mersch in the crease to earn the win.
The Stars continue their road trip with a Tuesday night matchup against the Rockford IceHogs at 7:00 p.m. from the BMO Harris Bank Center.
3 Stars presented by Dahill Office Technology Corporation
1. Mikhail Berdin (MB)
2. Seth Griffith (MB)
3. Philippe Desrosiers (TEX)
The Texas Stars are the primary development affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, and travel to Rockford for a Tuesday night matchup to end their four game road trip. Full-season, 24-game and 12-game ticket packages for the 2018-19 campaign are on sale now. For more information, call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit TexasStars.com.
Images from this story
Texas Stars Goaltender Philippe Desrosiers faces the Manitoba Moose
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 10, 2019
- Bears Sweep Checkers in Weekend Series with 2-1 Win - Hershey Bears
- Herr's Game-Winner Lifts Reign Late - Ontario Reign
- Wolves Hand Griffins Rare Home Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Checkers Drop 2-1 Contest to Streaking Bears - Charlotte Checkers
- Barracuda Fall Late in Ontario, 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Berdin, Moose Blank Texas, 2-0 - Manitoba Moose
- Brown Scores Overtime Winner to Beat Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Wolves Vault Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Finish Weekend with 5-2 Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devils Sweep Monsters with 4-3 OT Win - Binghamton Devils
- Wolf Pack Beaten by Lehigh Valley, 5-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Fritz scores game-winner in overtime as Bridgeport sweeps two-game series against Comets - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Defeat Crunch in 4-0 in McIntyre's First Shutout of the Season - Providence Bruins
- Goaltending Duel Ends in Stars Defeat - Texas Stars
- Monsters Fall to Devils in Overtime, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Earn Road Point in Overtime Loss to Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Crunch Shutout by Bruins, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies and Senators Meet for Sunday Showdown - Toronto Marlies
- Canucks Recall Forward Zack MacEwen - Utica Comets
- Florida Panthers Recall F Jamie McGinn from Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Corban Knight Loaned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Condors Bid for 12 Straight Wins Tonight at Home - Bakersfield Condors
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Sign Defenceman Logan Roe - Manitoba Moose
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, February 10 - Belleville Senators
- Wolves Win Matinee in Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Game Preview: Checkers at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Kile Scores Twice in Rocket's 6-3 Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gulls Beaten by Bakersfield Buzzsaw - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Historic Run Continues in 7-1 Rout of San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
- Thrilling Comeback Thwarted as Tucson Tops Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Stuns San Antonio with 3-2 Win in Overtime - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.