Checkers Drop 2-1 Contest to Streaking Bears
HERSHEY, PA - Despite an abundance of chances throughout the night by the Checkers it was the Bears who found the net twice, handing Charlotte another loss.
While the game stood at 1-1 late in the second, the Bears took advantage of a five-on-three power play, breaking the tie that ultimately lifted the Bears over Charlotte.
A turnover in the slot gave the home team their first tally late in the first period. Although the Bears rookie netminder Ilya Samsonov was relentless, Nicolas Roy was able to tap one in during the middle frame, tying the game at one.
While the Checkers saw many opportunities to score, including a shot clinking off the crossbar by Patrick Brown on one of five unsuccessul power plays on the night, the Bears were able to keep Charlotte at bay and seal the 2-1 victory.
The Checkers are now winless in eight of their last 10 games, logging a 2-4-3-1 record over that stretch ... This is the first time that the Checkers have gone winless in consecutive road games since Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 in Providence ... Hershey joins Toronto as the only teams to have winning records against the Checkers this season ... The Checkers now have a points percentage below .700 for the first time this season ... The Checkers have scored one third-period goal in their last five games ... Alex Nedeljkovic suffered his first regulation loss tonight since Dec. 2 ... Spencer Smallman missed the game due to injury ... Zack Stortini, Roland McKeown and Steven Lorentz were healthy extras
The Checkers continue their road trip with a three-in-three weekend that starts Friday in Springfield.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 10, 2019
- Bears Sweep Checkers in Weekend Series with 2-1 Win - Hershey Bears
- Herr's Game-Winner Lifts Reign Late - Ontario Reign
- Wolves Hand Griffins Rare Home Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Checkers Drop 2-1 Contest to Streaking Bears - Charlotte Checkers
- Barracuda Fall Late in Ontario, 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Berdin, Moose Blank Texas, 2-0 - Manitoba Moose
- Brown Scores Overtime Winner to Beat Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Wolves Vault Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Finish Weekend with 5-2 Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devils Sweep Monsters with 4-3 OT Win - Binghamton Devils
- Wolf Pack Beaten by Lehigh Valley, 5-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Fritz scores game-winner in overtime as Bridgeport sweeps two-game series against Comets - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Defeat Crunch in 4-0 in McIntyre's First Shutout of the Season - Providence Bruins
- Goaltending Duel Ends in Stars Defeat - Texas Stars
- Monsters Fall to Devils in Overtime, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Earn Road Point in Overtime Loss to Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Crunch Shutout by Bruins, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies and Senators Meet for Sunday Showdown - Toronto Marlies
- Canucks Recall Forward Zack MacEwen - Utica Comets
- Florida Panthers Recall F Jamie McGinn from Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Corban Knight Loaned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Condors Bid for 12 Straight Wins Tonight at Home - Bakersfield Condors
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Sign Defenceman Logan Roe - Manitoba Moose
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, February 10 - Belleville Senators
- Wolves Win Matinee in Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Game Preview: Checkers at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Kile Scores Twice in Rocket's 6-3 Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gulls Beaten by Bakersfield Buzzsaw - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Historic Run Continues in 7-1 Rout of San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
- Thrilling Comeback Thwarted as Tucson Tops Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Stuns San Antonio with 3-2 Win in Overtime - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.