Phantoms Finish Weekend with 5-2 Victory
Lehigh Valley, Pa. - The Lehigh Valley Phantoms (26-19-3-2) got their revenge against the Hartford Wolf Pack (20-25-3-3) with a 5-2 victory to close out the 3-game weekend. Colin McDonald and Connor Bunnaman each potted two goals and Corban Knight and Greg Carey each had two. Mike McKenna made 33 saves in net for the Phantoms.
The Phantoms struck first in this one, taking a 1-0 lead just five minutes in. Greg Carey put a shot on goal that sent a rebound floating up into the air. Luckily, Reece Willcox came flying in to bat the puck out of mid-air and down through the five hole of Halverson for his second goal of the season.
Lehigh Valley went up 2-0 just a minute later as Colin McDonald skated through the zone and ripped a laser into the upper right corner for his fifth of the season.
Hartford was able to get one back with a power play chance with 1:34 remaining in the first. After a shot from the point hit a body in front, the loose puck trickled over to Peter Holland, who was able to pop the rebound into an open net and score for the second straight night to make it a 2-1 game. Holland has been the Phantom killer this season, totaling five goals and nine points in just five games against Lehigh Valley.
With Bunnaman and Andersson in the box for matching minors two minutes into the middle frame, John Gilmour was able to take advantage of the extra room on the ice as he weaved through the neutral zone and fired a shot up and over McKenna to tie the game at two.
The Phantoms quickly regained the lead as Corban Knight won a battle along the boards and put a centering feed right on the tape of Connor Bunnaman to give the Phantoms a 3-2 lead.
Bunnaman scored his second goal of the game less than five minutes later, as he once again was able to bury a perfect pass from Corban Knight. This marks the first multi-goal game of Bunnaman's career and the he now ranks second on the team with 14 goals so far in his rookie campaign.
Lehigh Valley kept the offense going, as Colin McDonald took a feed from Mike Vecchione and sniped one short side past Halverson for his second goal of the game to make it 5-2 in the second period. The Connecticut native now has three goals and seven points in five games against Hartford this season.
Five was all the needed as Mike McKenna made 17 saves in the third period to hold off the Hartford attack and the Phantoms picked up the 5-2 victory. Lehigh Valley went 2/4 on the power play.
1: F Colin McDonald (LV) - 2 goals
2: F Connor Bunnaman (LV) - 2 goals
3: F Corban Knight (LV) - 2 assists
LV - (5:08) Reece Willcox (2) (Carey, Palmquist); (6:07) Colin McDonald (5) (Friedman, Jehtera)
HFD - (18:26) Peter Holland (19) (Brickley, Butler)
LV - (4:09) Connor Bunnaman (13) (Knight, Samuelsson); (8:49) Connor Bunnaman (14) (Knight, Carey); (12:32) Colin McDonald (6) (Vecchione, Twarynski)
HFD - (2:46) John Gilmour (16) (Lindgren, Meskanen)
LV - None
HFD - None
NEXT TIME OUT: Lehigh Valley will return to the ice next Friday, February 15 as they host the Bridgeport Sound Tigers for You Can Play! Night. The Phantoms are 2-1-1 against the Sound Tigers this season.
Follow the action @LVPhantoms on Twitter, on AHLTV or the Phantoms365 App.
Tickets for each and every Phantoms home game throughout the 2018-19 season are available online at pplcenter.com, by calling 610-347-TIXX  or in-person at the QNB Box Office [7th & Hamilton].
Images from this story
Lehigh Valley Phantoms right wing Colin McDonald
Lehigh Valley Phantoms exchange congratulations after a goal
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 10, 2019
- Bears Sweep Checkers in Weekend Series with 2-1 Win - Hershey Bears
- Herr's Game-Winner Lifts Reign Late - Ontario Reign
- Wolves Hand Griffins Rare Home Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Checkers Drop 2-1 Contest to Streaking Bears - Charlotte Checkers
- Barracuda Fall Late in Ontario, 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Berdin, Moose Blank Texas, 2-0 - Manitoba Moose
- Brown Scores Overtime Winner to Beat Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Wolves Vault Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Finish Weekend with 5-2 Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devils Sweep Monsters with 4-3 OT Win - Binghamton Devils
- Wolf Pack Beaten by Lehigh Valley, 5-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Fritz scores game-winner in overtime as Bridgeport sweeps two-game series against Comets - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Defeat Crunch in 4-0 in McIntyre's First Shutout of the Season - Providence Bruins
- Goaltending Duel Ends in Stars Defeat - Texas Stars
- Monsters Fall to Devils in Overtime, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Earn Road Point in Overtime Loss to Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Crunch Shutout by Bruins, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies and Senators Meet for Sunday Showdown - Toronto Marlies
- Canucks Recall Forward Zack MacEwen - Utica Comets
- Florida Panthers Recall F Jamie McGinn from Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Corban Knight Loaned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Condors Bid for 12 Straight Wins Tonight at Home - Bakersfield Condors
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Sign Defenceman Logan Roe - Manitoba Moose
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, February 10 - Belleville Senators
- Wolves Win Matinee in Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Game Preview: Checkers at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Kile Scores Twice in Rocket's 6-3 Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gulls Beaten by Bakersfield Buzzsaw - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Historic Run Continues in 7-1 Rout of San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
- Thrilling Comeback Thwarted as Tucson Tops Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Stuns San Antonio with 3-2 Win in Overtime - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley Phantoms Stories
- T.J. Brennan Reflects on 700 Pro Games and Rekindled Love for Hockey
- Phantoms Power Play
- Flyers Loan Defenseman Andy Welinski to Lehigh Valley
- Farabee Scores in Second Straight Game as Phantoms Earn Point
- Phantoms Young Talent Shines in 4-1 Victory over Penguins