Comets Earn Road Point in Overtime Loss to Bridgeport
Bridgeport, CT - The Utica Comets picked up a point but fell 5-4 in overtime to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on Sunday at Webster Bank Arena.
Just under five minutes into the game, the Comets faced their first deficit after Travis St. Denis earned his 11th of the year on a top-corner wrist shot. Utica only trailed for about six minutes before drawing even while operating on their first power play of the game. Reid Boucher steered the puck to the middle of the ice where Tanner Kero re-directed the feed into the back of the net for his 18th tally of the season. Before the end of the period, Bridgeport's Otto Koivula slipped behind the defense and deposited a try to generate a 2-1 Sound Tigers' lead at the break.
The second period continued the back-and-forth theme as each team exchanged goals yet again. With Utica on a man-advantage, Luke Schenn was provided space at the left-side circle where he unloaded a one-timer that flew over the pad of Christopher Gibson and pulled the Comets square for the second time. Just over four minutes later, Bridgeport snatched the edge right back, courtesy of Steve Bernier's deflection.
Early in the third period, the Comets roared back and tied the game at three, as Jonathan Dahlen one-touched a backhand into the roof of the goal following a Brendan Woods centering pass. Less than two minutes later, Utica propelled into the lead for the first time on the night with a shorthanded strike from Brendan Gaunce. Earning a takeaway on a forecheck, Gaunce twisted a backhand over the right leg of Gibson and registered his third shorthanded goal of the season.
Midway through the third period and pressuring the Comets, the Sound Tigers tied the game at four on the back of Ben Holmstrom's third of the year. Holmstrom's late goal forced a three-on-three overtime session that saw Tanner Fritz tally the game winner with a one-timer, 2:28 into the frame.
The Comets are back at it Wednesday night when they host the Laval Rocket. Puck drop at the Adirondack Bank Center is at 7 p.m. Fans are encouraged to use the ticket exchange site, StubHub!. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 10, 2019
- Bears Sweep Checkers in Weekend Series with 2-1 Win - Hershey Bears
- Herr's Game-Winner Lifts Reign Late - Ontario Reign
- Wolves Hand Griffins Rare Home Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Checkers Drop 2-1 Contest to Streaking Bears - Charlotte Checkers
- Barracuda Fall Late in Ontario, 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Berdin, Moose Blank Texas, 2-0 - Manitoba Moose
- Brown Scores Overtime Winner to Beat Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Wolves Vault Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Finish Weekend with 5-2 Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devils Sweep Monsters with 4-3 OT Win - Binghamton Devils
- Wolf Pack Beaten by Lehigh Valley, 5-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Fritz scores game-winner in overtime as Bridgeport sweeps two-game series against Comets - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Defeat Crunch in 4-0 in McIntyre's First Shutout of the Season - Providence Bruins
- Goaltending Duel Ends in Stars Defeat - Texas Stars
- Monsters Fall to Devils in Overtime, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Earn Road Point in Overtime Loss to Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Crunch Shutout by Bruins, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies and Senators Meet for Sunday Showdown - Toronto Marlies
- Canucks Recall Forward Zack MacEwen - Utica Comets
- Florida Panthers Recall F Jamie McGinn from Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Corban Knight Loaned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Condors Bid for 12 Straight Wins Tonight at Home - Bakersfield Condors
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Sign Defenceman Logan Roe - Manitoba Moose
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, February 10 - Belleville Senators
- Wolves Win Matinee in Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Game Preview: Checkers at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Kile Scores Twice in Rocket's 6-3 Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gulls Beaten by Bakersfield Buzzsaw - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Historic Run Continues in 7-1 Rout of San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
- Thrilling Comeback Thwarted as Tucson Tops Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Stuns San Antonio with 3-2 Win in Overtime - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.