Thrilling Comeback Thwarted as Tucson Tops Hogs
ROCKFORD, Ill. - Jordan Schroeder and Dennis Gilbert scored within 40 seconds of each other late in the third period to erase a 3-1 deficit, but Robbie Russo capitalized on the power play with just 2:20 remaining in regulation to tip the Tucson Roadrunners over the Rockford IceHogs 5-3 on Saturday night at the BMO Harris Bank Center. The defeat snapped the IceHogs' win streak at a season-high six straight games.
Rockford treated a near-sellout crowd of 5,957 to a thriller of a finish, drawing even at 11:08 in the final frame.
Schroeder sparked the comeback with a rip from the left side on a cross-ice feed from Dylan Sikura. The forward blasted the puck top shelf past netminder Adin Hill for his 11th goal of the season and the Hogs' eighth power-play goal of the series.
Gilbert followed suit just 40 seconds later, and with the Hogs trailing just 3-2, completed the comeback with a well-placed shot from the left circle that went just outside the reach of Hill. The tally was the first of Gilbert's AHL career and secured him his first point streak of his rookie campaign.
Rockford continued to pressure Hill late into the third before going a man down on an interference call at 15:55 in the stanza. The Hogs successfully killed off the first 1:45 of the power play, but Russo wired a puck in from just in front of the blue line to help Tucson escape with the win.
Hill stopped 27 of 30 pucks in the victory for the Roadrunners, while Rockford goaltender Anton Forsberg made 34 saves on 38 shots in the defeat.
Next Home Game: Tuesday, Feb. 12 vs. Texas | 7 p.m.
The IceHogs' six-game homestand rolls on with a Fas Fuel Winning Weekdays matchup against the Texas Stars at the BMO Harris Bank Center. Fans can redeem their ticket stub from last Wednesday's contest (Feb. 6) for a FREE ticket of equal or lesser value to Tuesdays' game against Texas. Select craft beers will also be on sale for just $5 throughout Tuesday's matchup.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 10, 2019
- Bears Sweep Checkers in Weekend Series with 2-1 Win - Hershey Bears
- Herr's Game-Winner Lifts Reign Late - Ontario Reign
- Wolves Hand Griffins Rare Home Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Checkers Drop 2-1 Contest to Streaking Bears - Charlotte Checkers
- Barracuda Fall Late in Ontario, 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Berdin, Moose Blank Texas, 2-0 - Manitoba Moose
- Brown Scores Overtime Winner to Beat Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Wolves Vault Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Finish Weekend with 5-2 Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devils Sweep Monsters with 4-3 OT Win - Binghamton Devils
- Wolf Pack Beaten by Lehigh Valley, 5-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Fritz scores game-winner in overtime as Bridgeport sweeps two-game series against Comets - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Defeat Crunch in 4-0 in McIntyre's First Shutout of the Season - Providence Bruins
- Goaltending Duel Ends in Stars Defeat - Texas Stars
- Monsters Fall to Devils in Overtime, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Earn Road Point in Overtime Loss to Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Crunch Shutout by Bruins, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies and Senators Meet for Sunday Showdown - Toronto Marlies
- Canucks Recall Forward Zack MacEwen - Utica Comets
- Florida Panthers Recall F Jamie McGinn from Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Corban Knight Loaned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Condors Bid for 12 Straight Wins Tonight at Home - Bakersfield Condors
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Sign Defenceman Logan Roe - Manitoba Moose
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, February 10 - Belleville Senators
- Wolves Win Matinee in Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Game Preview: Checkers at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Kile Scores Twice in Rocket's 6-3 Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gulls Beaten by Bakersfield Buzzsaw - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Historic Run Continues in 7-1 Rout of San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
- Thrilling Comeback Thwarted as Tucson Tops Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Stuns San Antonio with 3-2 Win in Overtime - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- IceHogs Sign Hobey Baker Finalist and Two-Time Big-10 Champion Cale Morris for 2020-21 Season
- IceHogs Defenseman of the Year Cody Franson Returns to Club for Upcoming Season
- Stateline Teachers, Today Is the Last Day to Enter to Win $100 with the IceHogs and BMO Harris Bank
- Former IceHogs Johns and Rutta Collide in 2020 Stanley Cup Final
- Stateline Teachers: Win $100 with the IceHogs and BMO Harris Bank =F0=9F=8D=8E