Barracuda Fall Late in Ontario, 4-3
Ontario, Ca - The San Jose Barracuda (26-11-24) put a franchise record 55 shots on net on Sunday afternoon against the Ontario Reign (15-23-4-2) (Los Angeles Kings) at Citizens Business Bank Arena but a late Reign goal proved to be the difference as the Barracuda fell 4-3 in regulation.
After San Jose was called for the first penalty of the game, Phillip Maillet (10) made quick work of the advantage as he ripped a short-side snipe off the post and in from atop the right dot at 10:07. The Barracuda would answer at 15:30 when Jayden Halbgewachs bounced a shot off of Jon Martin (9) and in at 15:30. Jake Middleton (3) would then give the Barracuda their first lead at 17:24 with a right-point shot, snapping an 18-game goalless drought. But less than 30 seconds later at 17:40, Maillet would again cash in on the PP as he tipped a Matt Roy shot past Antoine Bibeau.
In the second, San Jose outshot Ontario 23-to-seven despite killing off three more Reign power plays and the game remained tied at 2-2 through 40 minutes.
In the third, on their fourth man-advantage, Francis Perron (15) snapped in the go-ahead goal at 12:36, but again, the Reign found a way to tie the game up as Brett Sutter (13) bounced in a shot from along the right side at 16:48. With under a minute left, Ontario would take their first lead since the first period as Zach Mitchell drew San Jose's defense as he moved down the right wing and swung a no-look pass to an uncovered Sam Herr (6) in the slot and Herr ripped in what would turn out to be the game-winner at 19:22.
Bibeau suffered the loss (10-6-5) and had his six-game point streak snapped after allowing four goals on 37 shots, while Cal Peterson (6-12-3) earned the win by making 52 saves on 55 shots
The Barracuda return to SAP Center on Tuesday when the Tucson Roadrunners come to town. Catch all the exciting broadcast action on AM 1220 KDOW, the Sharks + SAP Center App and watch on AHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 10, 2019
- Bears Sweep Checkers in Weekend Series with 2-1 Win - Hershey Bears
- Herr's Game-Winner Lifts Reign Late - Ontario Reign
- Wolves Hand Griffins Rare Home Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Checkers Drop 2-1 Contest to Streaking Bears - Charlotte Checkers
- Barracuda Fall Late in Ontario, 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Berdin, Moose Blank Texas, 2-0 - Manitoba Moose
- Brown Scores Overtime Winner to Beat Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Wolves Vault Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Finish Weekend with 5-2 Victory - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devils Sweep Monsters with 4-3 OT Win - Binghamton Devils
- Wolf Pack Beaten by Lehigh Valley, 5-2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Fritz scores game-winner in overtime as Bridgeport sweeps two-game series against Comets - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Defeat Crunch in 4-0 in McIntyre's First Shutout of the Season - Providence Bruins
- Goaltending Duel Ends in Stars Defeat - Texas Stars
- Monsters Fall to Devils in Overtime, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Earn Road Point in Overtime Loss to Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Crunch Shutout by Bruins, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies and Senators Meet for Sunday Showdown - Toronto Marlies
- Canucks Recall Forward Zack MacEwen - Utica Comets
- Florida Panthers Recall F Jamie McGinn from Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Corban Knight Loaned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Condors Bid for 12 Straight Wins Tonight at Home - Bakersfield Condors
- Flyers Recall Justin Bailey from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Sign Defenceman Logan Roe - Manitoba Moose
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, February 10 - Belleville Senators
- Wolves Win Matinee in Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Game Preview: Checkers at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Kile Scores Twice in Rocket's 6-3 Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Gulls Beaten by Bakersfield Buzzsaw - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Historic Run Continues in 7-1 Rout of San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
- Thrilling Comeback Thwarted as Tucson Tops Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Stuns San Antonio with 3-2 Win in Overtime - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.