Frustrating Weekend Concludes with Kalamazoo Win
WHEELING, WV- The weekend was a challenging one for the Wheeling Nailers, who finished things up on Sunday afternoon at WesBanco Arena. The Kalamazoo Wings opened up a big lead with a three-goal second period, and went on to a 5-1 win, led by two goals from Raymond Brice and 31 saves by Jason Pawloski. Justin Almeida was the lone goal scorer for Wheeling.
One goal was scored in the first period, and it was a fortuitous marker for the visiting Wings. Tyler Rockwell tossed the puck toward the net from the right point, and his shot ended up finding a path into the net, with a possible deflection taking place on the way.
Kalamazoo added to its lead with a big middle frame, while getting some help from the iron, as the Nailers hit four posts to that point in the contest. At the 5:27 mark, the Wings got their second goal of the day, when Raymond Brice's backhander from the trapezoid banked off of Stefanos Lekkas' right skate and dribbled into the cage. Kyle Blaney followed that by stepping in and roofing a wrist shot from the bottom of the left circle on the man advantage, then Brice netted his second of the period 1:06 later from low on the right side, as the Wings carried a four-goal advantage into the break.
The visitors tacked on one more goal in the third period, as Logan Lambdin lit the lamp, before Justin Almeida collected the lone tally for the Nailers in a 5-1 final.
Jason Pawloski picked up his first ECHL win for Kalamazoo, as he blocked away 31 of the 32 shots he faced. Stefanos Lekkas suffered the loss for Wheeling, as he allowed five goals on 29 shots, before Brody Claeys finished the game with eight stops.
The Nailers will travel to Orlando for three games against the Solar Bears on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Friday and Saturday will start at 7:00, then Sunday will begin at 3:00. Wheeling's next homestand is a three-game weekend on January 21st, 22nd, and 23rd. Friday is a Frosty Friday against Kalamazoo at 7:10, Saturday is First Responders Night against Iowa at 7:10, then Sunday will feature a post game skate with even-numbered players, following the 4:10 tilt against Iowa. Season memberships, single game tickets, and partial packages are available, and fans can get more information by calling (304) 234-GOAL. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley.
Images from this story
Wheeling Nailers forward Justin Almeida (left) vs. the Kalamazoo Wings
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 10, 2022
- Early Goals Down Stingrays in Orlando - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavs Complete Comeback Win in Overtime in Iowa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavs Drop Game Two of Military Appreciation Weekend - Kansas City Mavericks
- Nolan Valleau Loaned to Stockton Heat - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 10 - ECHL
- Rabbits Add Forward with Eastman Signing - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fournier Returns to Wichita; Manchurek Signed - Wichita Thunder
- Bear Bites - Solar Bears Update - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mariners and Arcadia Expand Support for Make-A-Wish Maine Throughout January - Maine Mariners
- MLK Night this Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Jiggs McDonald to Serve as Keynote Speaker at 2022 ECHL Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony - Jacksonville Icemen
- Jiggs McDonald to Serve as Keynote Speaker at 2022 ECHL Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony - ECHL
- Grizzlies Weekly: Big Homestand Beginning Friday - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. South Carolina Stingrays: January 10, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Weekly - January 10, 2022 - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Everblades Head to Greenville for Rabbit Season - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Weekly, January 10 - Wichita Thunder
- Rockford Signs Defenseman Mike Lee to PTO - Indy Fuel
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 12 - Indy Fuel
- Weekly Roundup: Glads Break out Brooms - Atlanta Gladiators
- Toledo Walleye Weekly No. 12: January 10, 2022 - Toledo Walleye
- Frustrating Weekend Concludes with Kalamazoo Win - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.