Fournier Sets New Franchise High in Loss to RC
WICHITA, Kan. - Tyler Coulter scored a power play goal with nine minutes left in the contest and Rapid City held on for a 3-2 win over Wichita on Saturday night at INTRUST Bank Arena.
Stefan Fournier set a new ECHL franchise-high with two points while Beau Starrett added a goal and an assist. Evan Weninger suffered the loss in his return to the lineup, stopping 30 shots.
Cedric Montminy put the Rush on the board at 1:59 of the first. He put home a rebound off a shot from Johnny Coughlin for his 16th of the season. At 10:23, Avery Peterson scored on the power play and increased the lead to 2-0.
In the second, Fournier caught a pass from Starrett near the crease and beat David Tendeck to cut the lead to 2-1. At 15:43, Starrett tied the game at two as he found a rebound near the left post and slid it past Tendeck for his 14th of the season.
Coulter scored the game winner at 11:12 of the third. Jacob Graves was called for a high stick at 10:45. Coulter tipped a shot from David Quenneville that got through Weninger for his 21st of the season and a 3-2 lead.
Wichita lifted Weninger with two minutes left to put Ian Scott in the game. He was then pulled after entering for just 40 seconds and the extra attacker came out for the Thunder. Wichita couldn't find the tying goal and fell 3-2.
Wichita's win streak ends at four games while Rapid City snaps a six-game losing skid. The Thunder's magic number remains at one despite the loss.
Fournier recorded a goal and an assist and is now the franchise leader in points for the Thunder since joining the ECHL with 109. Starrett has points in six-straight. Dickman and Peters also added helpers.Â Weninger made his first start since March 24.
The Thunder closes their three-game set against Rapid City tomorrow afternoon at 4:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from May 15, 2021
- Fournier Sets New Franchise High in Loss to RC - Wichita Thunder
- Strong Special Teams End Rush Skid, Force Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- Mavs Win on Blades Tribute Night - Kansas City Mavericks
- Grizzlies Winning Streak Extends to 6 - Utah Grizzlies
- Rays Battle Back to Earn 4-2 Win in Jacksonville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rauhauser Scores Late, Rabbits Win 2-1 Thriller in Wheeling - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Late rally by Solar Bears falls short in 3-2 loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Revenge of the Blades - Florida Everblades
- Guindon Shines, But Greenville Gets Late Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Game Preview vs. Allen Americans - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Icemen, May 15, 2021 - Jacksonville Icemen
- ECHL Transactions - May 15 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: Saturday Night in Tulsa - Utah Grizzlies
- Blades Look for Road Rebound - Florida Everblades
- Game Day Preview: Allen at Kansas City, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Icemen, May 15 at 7 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Nailers, 7:10 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Closer to Clinching Playoff Spot with Win vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.