Game Preview: Stingrays at Icemen, May 15 at 7 PM
SC Stingrays at Jacksonville Icemen
Saturday, May 15, 2021 at the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena at 7 PM
Broadcast Info: Watch live on FloHockey | Listen via Mixlr
About Today's Game: With just 10 games remaining on their 2020-21 schedule, the South Carolina Stingrays will look to get even in their weekend road series against the Jacksonville Icemen Saturday night after falling 3-2 in the opener Friday. SC came into the series after back-to-back wins over the Indy Fuel earlier this week that included a 3-goal comeback in the third period on Wednesday for their 26th win courtesy of an overtime strike by defender Zach Malatesta. Jacksonville didn't fare as well Wednesday night, falling to the Florida Everblades in Estero by a score of 3-2. Saturday's matchup will be the 15th time the two clubs face-off during the current season. So far SC has won six of those contests and gained points in 10 of the outings with a 6-4-4 record. The Rays' offense has come alive recently, averaging just under four goals per game in their last 10 outings to bring their season rate to 3.02 goals per game which ranks sixth in the ECHL. After their win Friday, the Icemen are in fifth place in the Eastern Conference standings with a points percentage at .552. Jacksonville ranks sixth in the ECHL on defense, allowing just 2.91 goals per game. SC sits in sixth place in the Eastern Conference with a points percentage of .542.
Scouting the Icemen: Through 58 games, Jacksonville is in fifth place in the Eastern Conference standings with a record of 29-23-3-3 (.552). Forwards Ara Nazarian and Nick Saracino lead the club in scoring with 42 points apiece. Nazarian has a team-high 18 goals, while Saracino is the top assist-man with 27 helpers. Nazarian is the lone Icemen skater to suit up for all of the team's games so far this year. Forward Pascal Aquin has 17 tallies, while Mike Szmatula has lit the lamp 16 times and second-year attacker Christopher Brown has 13 goals and 27 points. Team captain Wacey Rabbit has registered 24 points in 41 games on seven goals and 17 helpers. Defender Trevor Hamilton leads the team's blueliners with 28 points (4g, 24a). In net, Charles Williams has played 30 games and has a goals-against average of 2.70, while Kyle Keyser was re-assigned to the club on Thursday from the AHL's Providence Bruins and has a 2.42 GAA in 16 ECHL appearances this season.
Upcoming Home Games
Wednesday, May 26 vs. Greenville, 7:05 p.m.
Friday, May 28 vs. Wheeling, 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, May 29 vs. Wheeling, 6:05 p.m.
Tuesday, June 1 vs. Wheeling, 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, June 5 vs. Jacksonville, 6:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from May 15, 2021
- Fournier Sets New Franchise High in Loss to RC - Wichita Thunder
- Strong Special Teams End Rush Skid, Force Rubber Match - Rapid City Rush
- Mavs Win on Blades Tribute Night - Kansas City Mavericks
- Grizzlies Winning Streak Extends to 6 - Utah Grizzlies
- Rays Battle Back to Earn 4-2 Win in Jacksonville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rauhauser Scores Late, Rabbits Win 2-1 Thriller in Wheeling - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Late rally by Solar Bears falls short in 3-2 loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Revenge of the Blades - Florida Everblades
- Guindon Shines, But Greenville Gets Late Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Game Preview vs. Allen Americans - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Icemen, May 15, 2021 - Jacksonville Icemen
- ECHL Transactions - May 15 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: Saturday Night in Tulsa - Utah Grizzlies
- Blades Look for Road Rebound - Florida Everblades
- Game Day Preview: Allen at Kansas City, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Icemen, May 15 at 7 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Nailers, 7:10 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Closer to Clinching Playoff Spot with Win vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.