Four Solo Shots Not Enough as Bats Nipped by Saints
ST. PAUL, Minn. - Jose Barrero, Alejo Lopez, Mike Moustakas, and TJ Friedl combined to record a season-high four home runs, but the St. Paul Saints scored two runs in the bottom of the eighth on a single into left and an errant throw to the plate to defeat the Louisville Bats 5-4 on Tuesday night at CHS Field.
The Bats plated a run in each of the opening two frames to secure an early lead. After St. Paul starter Ian Hamilton induced a pair of groundouts to open the game, Barrero sent a deep fly ball over the left-field wall for his team-high eighth home run of the season. Lopez returned to the dish to lead off the second, taking a first-pitch strike before driving on solo shot on his own to make it 2-0.
St. Paul answered with Ben Rortverdt solo home run in the home half of the second to cut the lead to one. The Saints would then plate two more in the fifth on a pair of singles to take a 3-2 lead.
Louisville tied the game at three when Reds' rehabber Moustakas connected on a shot that cleared the ballpark to give the Bats' their third home run of the night.
St. Paul ambushed the bullpen for three-straight singles in the decisive eighth. On the go-ahead hit, left fielder Braxton Lee seeded a throw to the plate. However, as backstop Chris Okey leapt to catch the throw and apply the tag, St. Paul's base runner collided with Okey to score safely and allow what proved to be the winning run in Drew Maggi cross home as well.
Friedl pulled the Bats within one on a solo shot in the ninth, but St. Paul's reliever Nick Vincent recorded the final out to preserve the win.
The two teams return to CHS Field on Wednesday for an afternoon game starting at 2:05 p.m. ET. Reds' top-prospect Nick Lodolo is set to make his Triple-A debut against St. Paul's LHP Andrew Albers (4-4, 4.44).
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from August 3, 2021
- Bisons Fall to IronPigs, 6-1 - Buffalo Bisons
- Four Solo Shots Not Enough as Bats Nipped by Saints - Louisville Bats
- Iowa Takes Series Opener - Iowa Cubs
- Indians Drop Series Opener to Iowa - Indianapolis Indians
- Sounds Spoil Pinto's Quality Start - Toledo Mud Hens
- Weston Wilson's Late Single Key in Sounds Win - Nashville Sounds
- Saints Make It a Big Diehl with Seventh Straight Series Opening Victory, 5-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Worcester Gets Better of RailRiders in Series Opener - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Dunand Powers Shrimp to Last-At-Bat Win over Norfolk - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Bandy, Fitzgerald Go Deep as WooSox Win Fourth in a Row - Worcester Red Sox
- Gozzo, Pigs roll Buffalo in series opener - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pinto Homers in Fourth Straight, Bulls Bash 'Birds 5-2 - Durham Bulls
- Braymer Pitches Wings Past Mets Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Redbirds Fall Short in Series Opener at Durham - Memphis Redbirds
- Vance Worley Provides Solid Start, But Mets Fall to Red Wings in Series Opener, 3-1 - Syracuse Mets
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - August 3, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Voit Joins RailRiders on Rehab Assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (37-39) at Iowa Cubs (32-43) - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Announce Updated Masking Protocols - Rochester Red Wings
- Top Prospect Lodolo Promoted to Louisville - Louisville Bats
- August 3 Game Notes: Iowa at Indianapolis - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: August 3, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Red Wings Announce Schedule Update - Rochester Red Wings
- Saints to Honor 2019 Championship Team on August 5 - St. Paul Saints
- Inaugural Polar Park Food Truck & Craft Beer Festival Set for Saturday, October 2, 5-9 p.m. - Worcester Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.