Indians Drop Series Opener to Iowa
DES MOINES, IOWA - The Indianapolis Indians fell behind early and never saw the lead as the Iowa Cubs took the series opener on Tuesday night, 5-1.
Iowa (33-43) took the lead in the bottom of the third inning when Abiatal Avelino hit a bases-loaded double to center field to score two runs. With runners on second and third and one out, Alfonso Rivas grounded out to second baseman Tucupita Marcano which allowed one run to score and gave the I-Cubs a 3-0 lead.
After six scoreless innings, the Indians (37-40) scored their sole run of the game. Marcano reached base on a feilder's choice followed by an RBI double to shallow right field from Bligh Madris.
The I-Cubs tacked on two more insurance runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to extend their lead to 5-1.
Beau Sulser (L, 5-5) earned his third quality start of the season but ultimately took the loss giving up three runs on seven hits in six innings of work. Joe Biagini (W, 2-5) shut down the Indians offense and earned the win throwing 5.1 scoreless innings with five strikeouts.
The Indians will face Iowa again tomorrow for a doubleheader with the first game scheduled for 5:08 PM ET and game two starting 30 minutes after the conclusion of game one. LHP Justin Steele (1-0, 1.21) is set to take the mound for the I-Cubs for game one and RHP Cory Abbott (1-5, 7.21) will toe the rubber for game two. The Indians have yet to name their probable starting pitchers for the doubleheader.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from August 3, 2021
- Bisons Fall to IronPigs, 6-1 - Buffalo Bisons
- Four Solo Shots Not Enough as Bats Nipped by Saints - Louisville Bats
- Iowa Takes Series Opener - Iowa Cubs
- Indians Drop Series Opener to Iowa - Indianapolis Indians
- Sounds Spoil Pinto's Quality Start - Toledo Mud Hens
- Weston Wilson's Late Single Key in Sounds Win - Nashville Sounds
- Saints Make It a Big Diehl with Seventh Straight Series Opening Victory, 5-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Worcester Gets Better of RailRiders in Series Opener - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Dunand Powers Shrimp to Last-At-Bat Win over Norfolk - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Bandy, Fitzgerald Go Deep as WooSox Win Fourth in a Row - Worcester Red Sox
- Gozzo, Pigs roll Buffalo in series opener - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pinto Homers in Fourth Straight, Bulls Bash 'Birds 5-2 - Durham Bulls
- Braymer Pitches Wings Past Mets Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Redbirds Fall Short in Series Opener at Durham - Memphis Redbirds
- Vance Worley Provides Solid Start, But Mets Fall to Red Wings in Series Opener, 3-1 - Syracuse Mets
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - August 3, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Voit Joins RailRiders on Rehab Assignment - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (37-39) at Iowa Cubs (32-43) - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Announce Updated Masking Protocols - Rochester Red Wings
- Top Prospect Lodolo Promoted to Louisville - Louisville Bats
- August 3 Game Notes: Iowa at Indianapolis - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: August 3, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Red Wings Announce Schedule Update - Rochester Red Wings
- Saints to Honor 2019 Championship Team on August 5 - St. Paul Saints
- Inaugural Polar Park Food Truck & Craft Beer Festival Set for Saturday, October 2, 5-9 p.m. - Worcester Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Castro's Two-Homer Day Leads Indy in Loss
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (57-63) at Omaha Storm Chasers (67-54)
- Cruz Hits First Triple-A Homer in Indians Loss
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (57-62) at Omaha Storm Chasers (66-54)
- Indians Select Indy RBI as Triple-A Final Stretch Beneficiary