Falcons' Blatny named CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week
March 13, 2006 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today that Springfield Falcons left wing Zdenek Blatny has been named the CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending March 12, 2006. In four games last week, Blatny scored four goals and added five assists as the Falcons went 2-1-1-0.
In a week where Springfield's offense recorded 10 goals, Blatny had a hand in nine of them. He began by registering two power-play goals and tallying an assist in a 5-3 loss at Albany on Wednesday night, then assisted on both goals in Friday's 2-1 win over Hartford, and on Saturday scored the game-tying goal in what would be a 3-2 overtime loss to Providence. Finally, Blatny had a goal and two assists in regulation and converted on his shootout attempt to help Springfield to a 4-3 victory over Lowell on Sunday.
In recognition of his achievement, Blatny will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Falcons home game.
Blatny, 25, was a third-round draft choice by Atlanta in 1999 and is currently in his fifth professional season. He has recorded 16 goals and 32 assists for 48 points in 50 AHL games this season, including 18 points in 15 games since joining Springfield last month in a trade from the Boston Bruins organization. A native of Brno, Czech Republic, Blatny has notched 43 goals and 67 assists in 224 career AHL contests with Springfield, Providence and Chicago, and was a member of the Wolves' Calder Cup championship team in 2002.
Other nominees for CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week include Albany center Nicklas Bergfors, Binghamton left wing Denis Hamel, Bridgeport forward Rob Collins, Chicago center Kip Miller, Grand Rapids center Donald MacLean, Hamilton goaltender Jaroslav Halak, Hershey goaltender Frederic Cassivi, Houston left wing Patrick O'Sullivan, Manitoba right wing Jesse Schultz, Norfolk center Jason Morgan, Omaha center David Moss, Peoria goaltender Reinhard Divis, Portland goaltender Jani Hurme, Providence left wing Eric Healey, Rochester forward Daniel Paille, Syracuse goaltender Martin Prusek, Toronto forward John Pohl and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton goaltender Andy Chiodo.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 13, 2006
- Team Heads Out East for Three Games This Week - Peoria Rivermen
- Knights win third straight, beat Rampage 5-3 - Abbotsford Heat
- Rampage falls to Knights - San Antonio Rampage
- 'Dogs edged by Stars in shootout - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Stars defeat Hamilton in shootout - Iowa Chops
- Portland Pirates weekly report - Portland Pirates
- Busy week features three games versus conference powers - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monarchs report - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals enter home stretch - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rullier to Monarchs, Smyth to Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Lowell struggles through winless week - Albany Devils
- Aeros acquire Mauldin, Bernakevitch - Houston Aeros
- Monarchs Loan Smyth, Bernakevitch; Receive Rullier, Daigle - Manchester Monarchs
- Barons add two defensemen - Cleveland Barons
- On the road again - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Acquire Defenseman Dustin Wood -- Left Wing Greg Mauldin Loaned to Houston - Syracuse Crunch
- Today is AHL Clear Day - Iowa Chops
- Pouliot recalled by Oilers - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Nashville Reassigns Klein, Zanon - Milwaukee Admirals
- Popovic Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- First teams punch tickets to 2006 Calder Cup Playoffs - AHL
- Senators release Jamieson; sign two from college ranks - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons' Blatny named CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Blatny Named AHL Player of the Week - Springfield Falcons
- Cleveland Barons Weekly Report - Cleveland Barons
- Binghamton Senators Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins land veteran defenseman Terry Virtue - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins clinch playoff spot with more than a month to play - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals and Sound Tigers close out season series, Wolf Pack come to Scope - Norfolk Admirals
- Rampage GameDay - San Antonio Rampage
- Graham moves up from Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Bulldogs face Stars tonight - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Paddock reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Moose Release Matt Craig - Manitoba Moose
- Magic number is seven - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.