Eighth-Inning Rally Lifts Rainiers Over Storm Chasers, 5-3
TACOMA, Wash. - The Tacoma Rainiers (33-33) used an eighth-inning rally to defeat the Omaha Storm Chasers (29-35) by a final score of 5-3 Wednesday night at Cheney Stadium.
Left fielder Ian Miller (2x4, BB), catcher Mike Marjama (2x4, R, RBI) and center fielder Andrew Aplin (2x3, R, RBI, BB) led the way for the Tacoma on offense as the Rainiers improved to 30-0 when leading after eight innings.
Rainiers starter Ross Detwiler allowed two earned runs across six innings while striking out two Omaha hitters.
Omaha got on the board first during the top half of the fourth when Frank Schwindel lifted a sacrifice fly to right field to score Adalberto Mondesi. Cam Gallagher then lined an RBI single to center to score Jorge Bonifacio and extend the Storm Chasers' lead to 2-0.
The Rainiers answered with a three-run bottom of the sixth to take a 3-2 lead. Catcher Mike Marjama lined an RBI-single to center to score designated hitter Chris Herrmann. Center fielder Andrew Aplin then smacked an RBI-double to right field to score right fielder John Andreoli and knot the game at 2-2. Second baseman Danny Muno capped the rally with a sacrifice fly to score Marjama and give Tacoma a 3-2 advantage.
Omaha evened the score at 3-3 in the top half of the eighth when Jack Lopez homered to left center field.
Tacoma reclaimed the lead in the bottom of the eighth when a single from third baseman Seth Mejias-Brean got past Bonifacio in right field and allowed Aplin to score from first and make it 4-3 Tacoma. Muno then doubled down the left field line to score Mejias-Brean and extend the Rainiers' lead to 5-3.
Right hander Ryan Garton (S, 2) tossed a scoreless ninth inning and captured his second save of the season.
The Rainiers and Storm Chasers return to action Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. for game two of the current three-game series. Righty Rob Whalen (7-3, 4.50) will take the mound for Tacoma and right hander Heath Fillmyer (3-5, 5.87) will get the start for Omaha.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2018 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Express Walkoff River Cats 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Martini's Blast Leads Sounds to Comeback Win - Nashville Sounds
- 'Birds Storm Back Late to Win in Extras - Memphis Redbirds
- Solid Pitching, Late Offensive Spurt Propel Cakes to Thursday Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno falls 4-1 Thursday night in NOLA - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Even Series with 4-1 Win Thursday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- "Coming to Fresno" & "WonderDogs" Highlight Upcoming Grizz Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-33) at El Paso Chihuahuas (33-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 14, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OKC Dodgers to Air 15 Games Through YurView on Cox - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds' Brad LaRosa Named Pacific Coast League Athletic Trainer for Triple-A All-Star Game - Nashville Sounds
- Field Staffs Announced for 2018 Triple-A Baseball All-Star Game - PCL
- Pevey to Manage PCL in Triple-A All-Star Game - Iowa Cubs
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony June 15 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (39-27) at Albuquerque Isotopes (32-33) - Memphis Redbirds
- Emily Rose Hollins To Celebrate "Home Run For Life" Saturday With OKC Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Begin Homestand with 6-2 Win over Las Vegas - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- I-Cubs Fold Aces - Iowa Cubs
- Eighth-Inning Rally Lifts Rainiers Over Storm Chasers, 5-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Chasers Fall Late in Tacoma, 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Walk-Off over Nashville to Complete Rally - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late-Game Troubles Doom Sounds Again - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Take Road Trip Opener - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Fall Just Short in 7-5 Loss to River Cats - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Tacoma Rainiers to Become La Familia de Tacoma for Five Games to Celebrate Latin Culture in the South Sound
- Tacoma Rainiers and Minor League Baseball to Announce Five-Game Copa De La Diversion Rebrand on Monday, March 18
- Tickets to be Available on Saturday, February 23 for First Tacoma Rainiers Homestand
- Daren Brown Returns to Lead Rainiers Field Staff in 2019
- Ashley Schutt Named Pacific Coast League Woman Executive of the Year