Bees Take Road Trip Opener
The Salt Lake Bees took the lead in the ninth inning and held on for a 4-3 win over the Oklahoma City Dodgers on Wednesday night in the opening game of a three game series.
With one out, Sherman Johnson tripled to left center and then scored on a fielder's choice off of the bat of Francisco Arcia, as Johnson broke for the plate on the contact play and beat the throw to the plate with a headfirst slide. The Bees grabbed a 1-0 lead in the first, as the Angels' Kole Calhoun, with Salt Lake on an injury rehab assignment, homered to open the game. Oklahoma City came back with three runs, two unearned in the bottom of the first for a 3-1 lead.
The Bees pulled to within one on a run scoring ground out in the third by Dustin Ackley. Salt Lake tied the game in the sixth on a double by Rymer Liriano, who took third on a wild pitch and scored on a sacrifice fly by Johnson. After giving up the three runs in the first, the Bees pitching staff allowed no runs and just three hits over the final eight innings. Starter Osmer Morales went five and one-third innings and gave up three runs on four hits with four strikeouts and three walks. Ralston Cash tossed one and one-third scoreless innings. Eduardo Paredes (1-0) earned the win by pitching a scoreless eighth and Akeel Morris picked up his third save by not giving up a run in the ninth. The Dodgers threatened with a leadoff walk and a wild pitch that put the tying run at second base with no outs, but Morris went strikeout, ground out and fly out to close out the game. Alberto Triunfel led Salt Lake with two hits in his Triple-A debut.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Express Walkoff River Cats 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Martini's Blast Leads Sounds to Comeback Win - Nashville Sounds
- 'Birds Storm Back Late to Win in Extras - Memphis Redbirds
- Solid Pitching, Late Offensive Spurt Propel Cakes to Thursday Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno falls 4-1 Thursday night in NOLA - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Even Series with 4-1 Win Thursday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- "Coming to Fresno" & "WonderDogs" Highlight Upcoming Grizz Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-33) at El Paso Chihuahuas (33-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 14, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OKC Dodgers to Air 15 Games Through YurView on Cox - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds' Brad LaRosa Named Pacific Coast League Athletic Trainer for Triple-A All-Star Game - Nashville Sounds
- Field Staffs Announced for 2018 Triple-A Baseball All-Star Game - PCL
- Pevey to Manage PCL in Triple-A All-Star Game - Iowa Cubs
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony June 15 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (39-27) at Albuquerque Isotopes (32-33) - Memphis Redbirds
- Emily Rose Hollins To Celebrate "Home Run For Life" Saturday With OKC Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Begin Homestand with 6-2 Win over Las Vegas - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- I-Cubs Fold Aces - Iowa Cubs
- Eighth-Inning Rally Lifts Rainiers Over Storm Chasers, 5-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Chasers Fall Late in Tacoma, 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Walk-Off over Nashville to Complete Rally - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late-Game Troubles Doom Sounds Again - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Take Road Trip Opener - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Fall Just Short in 7-5 Loss to River Cats - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.