Express Fall Just Short in 7-5 Loss to River Cats
ROUND ROCK, Texas - In a battle of contrasting scoring styles, the Sacramento River Cats (32-34) endured a comeback attempt by the Round Rock Express (29-36) to pick up a 7-5 victory on Wednesday night at Dell Diamond. While Sacramento did the majority of their damage in one inning, Round Rock spread their punches across five separate one-run frames.
Round Rock starter RHP Deolis Guerra (2-2, 6.75) was handed the loss after allowing three earned runs over the first 1.1 innings of play in what was scheduled to be a bullpen game for the Express pitching staff. On the opposing end, River Cats starter RHP Taylor Hill (1-1, 7.36) was awarded his first win of the season for tossing 5.0 frames of four-run ball.
After the E-Train jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first on a pair of doubles by DH Willie Calhoun and 1B Tommy Joseph, Sacramento's bats responded by posting a six-run frame in the second on four hits and three walks. 2B Chase d'Arnaud and RF Eury Perez reached on a couple of walks before C Ronnie Freeman blasted a three-run homer off Guerra to pull ahead 3-1.
The inning continued as 3B Orlando Calixte then singled, moved to second on an error, and later scored on a two-bagger off the bat of CF Steven Duggar to make it 4-1. Finally, CF Gregor Blanco capped off the rally when he connected on a two-run home run off Round Rock reliever RHP Adrian Sampson, extending the gap to 6-1.
The Express would cut the River Cats' advantage in half to 6-3 over the next two frames as Calhoun brought a run to the plate on his second double of the evening in the third before CF Drew Robinson launched a solo dinger off Hill in the fourth. The towering shot was Robinson's first round-tripper since he returned to club last weekend following a 16-day stint on the disabled list.
Round Rock's bullpen combination of LHP Brady Feigl, LHP Brandon Mann, RHP Tayler Scott and RHP R.J. Alvarez held Sacramento to just one run from the third through the ninth, allowing six hits while racking up seven strikeouts.
Although the E-Train offense came just short of completing the comeback, Joseph and Calhoun would add to their individual lines in the latter half of the game. Joseph knocked his second RBI double of the ballgame in the fifth while Calhoun completed his three-hit outing on a run-scoring single in the seventh.
Round Rock will look to rebound in tomorrow's rematch against the River Cats RHP Austin Bibens-Dirkx (2-3, 4.31) scheduled to face RHP Casey Kelly (6-5, 5.12). First pitch at Dell Diamond is set for 7:05 p.m. CDT.
For more information on the Express, visit RoundRockExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter!
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Express Walkoff River Cats 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Martini's Blast Leads Sounds to Comeback Win - Nashville Sounds
- 'Birds Storm Back Late to Win in Extras - Memphis Redbirds
- Solid Pitching, Late Offensive Spurt Propel Cakes to Thursday Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno falls 4-1 Thursday night in NOLA - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Even Series with 4-1 Win Thursday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- "Coming to Fresno" & "WonderDogs" Highlight Upcoming Grizz Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-33) at El Paso Chihuahuas (33-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 14, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OKC Dodgers to Air 15 Games Through YurView on Cox - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds' Brad LaRosa Named Pacific Coast League Athletic Trainer for Triple-A All-Star Game - Nashville Sounds
- Field Staffs Announced for 2018 Triple-A Baseball All-Star Game - PCL
- Pevey to Manage PCL in Triple-A All-Star Game - Iowa Cubs
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony June 15 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (39-27) at Albuquerque Isotopes (32-33) - Memphis Redbirds
- Emily Rose Hollins To Celebrate "Home Run For Life" Saturday With OKC Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Begin Homestand with 6-2 Win over Las Vegas - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- I-Cubs Fold Aces - Iowa Cubs
- Eighth-Inning Rally Lifts Rainiers Over Storm Chasers, 5-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Chasers Fall Late in Tacoma, 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Walk-Off over Nashville to Complete Rally - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late-Game Troubles Doom Sounds Again - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Take Road Trip Opener - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Fall Just Short in 7-5 Loss to River Cats - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- RS3 Strategic Hospitality Expands to Comerica Center
- Houston Astros Announce Dell Diamond Caravan Attendees
- "Talkin' Baseball with Mike Capps" Returns to the Airwaves
- Round Rock Express to Hold National Anthem Tryouts
- Houston Astros Caravan Visits Dell Diamond on January 22