OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 14, 2018
Salt Lake Bees (39-27) vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers (37-24)
Los Angeles Angels vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
Game #62 of 140/Home #31 of 70 (23-7)
Pitching Probables: SL-RHP Felix Pena (1-2, 3.51) vs. OKC-RHP Tyler Pill (1-1, 5.06)
Thursday, June 14, 2018 | Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark | Oklahoma City, Okla. | 7:05 p.m. CT
Radio: KGHM AM-1340 The Game, 1340thegame.com, iHeartRadio - Alex Freedman
Today's Game: The Oklahoma City Dodgers try to even their series against the Salt Lake Bees at 7:05 p.m. on a $2 Thursday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, featuring $2 Pepsi products, bottled water and select beer. The Dodgers are in the midst of a stretch of 14 straight games against Pacific Conference opponents and are 4-4 so far.
Last Game: Salt Lake scored the go-ahead run in the top of the ninth inning for a 4-3 win against the Dodgers Wednesday night at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. The teams played to a 3-3 tie through eight innings, and with one out in the top of the ninth, Sherman Johnson tripled to left-center field. Francisco Arcia came up to bat next and hit into a fielder's choice that allowed Johnson to score from third base for a Bees' lead. Kyle Garlick drew a leadoff walk in the bottom of the ninth and went to second base with none out after a wild pitch, but Bees pitcher Akeel Morris retired the next three Dodgers batters for his third save of the season. Salt Lake took the game's first lead one batter into the game when rehabbing Los Angeles Angels outfielder Kole Calhoun homered out to right field for a 1-0 advantage. With two on and none out in the bottom of the first, Kyle Farmer single to left field, and Rymer Liriano committed a two-base throwing error, allowing two runs to score for a 2-1 OKC lead. Farmer then scored on a groundout by Edwin Ríos to make it 3-1. The Bees scored once in the third inning and then knotted the game, 3-3, on Johnson's sacrifice fly in the sixth. OKC reliever Brian Schlitter (2-1) pitched the ninth inning and was charged with the loss for the Dodgers. Bees reliever Eduardo Paredes (1-0) picked up the win, tossing a scoreless eighth inning.
Today's Probable Pitcher: Tyler Pill (1-1) makes his eighth start of the season for the Dodgers tonight and third since rejoining OKC May 31 from Double-A Tulsa...He picked up his first win last time out June 7 in Sacramento, allowing three runs on 10 hits over 6.0 innings. He issued two walks and recorded four strikeouts in OKC's 10-6 victory. Although the River Cats had plenty of traffic on the basepaths, Pill limited them to 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position...Prior to rejoining OKC, Pill appeared in two games with Double-A Tulsa. He started for the Drillers May 25 at Corpus Christi, pitching five shutout innings...Pill started his season in the Arizona Diamondbacks organization with Triple-A Reno and was acquired by the Dodgers in a trade for cash considerations April 17...He signed with Arizona in January, and prior to that, spent his entire career in the New York Mets organization...Pill made his MLB debut last season with the Mets May 27, 2017 against Pittsburgh and made seven appearances (three starts) in the Majors (0-3, 5.32 ERA)...Pill was selected by the Mets in the fourth round of the 2011 MLB Draft out of Cal State Fullerton...Tonight is his fifth career start against the Bees and first not in a Las Vegas 51s uniform. He's 0-2 with a 4.43 ERA against the Bees in his career and most recently pitched against Salt Lake July 1, 2017 (3.0 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, BB, 3 K, L).
Against the Bees: 2018: 0-1 2017: 3-1 All-time: 48-49 At OKC: 27-22
The Dodgers and Bees are meeting for their lone series of the season and playing at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark for the first time since 2016...Since OKC became affiliated with the Dodgers, the team owns a 9-4 advantage against the Bees in the PCL's version of the Freeway Series. OKC has taken three of four from the Bees in each of the past three seasons, marking the first time that's happened since the teams started playing each other in 1998...The Dodgers won three of four games Aug. 7-10, 2017 in Salt Lake, losing the opening game, but winning the final three meetings. Tim Locastro went 7-for-17, and Alex Verdugo and a rehabbing Adrián González each had four RBI and a home run...In the last meeting at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark, the Dodgers won the four-game series, 3-1, taking the first three games before Salt Lake won the finale to avoid a series sweep May 19-22, 2016.
Home Cooking: Despite Wednesday's loss, the Dodgers still have the best home winning percentage in the Minors with their 23-7 record (.767). They also have the third-most home wins in the Minors behind Double-A Corpus Christi (25-11) and Low-A Bowling Green (24-9)...Of their 23 home wins, the Dodgers have trailed at some point in 12 of those games, and have trailed in the eighth inning or later seven times. They also have four comeback wins at home after trailing by three or more runs...OKC is slashing .309/.372/.481 at home, scoring an average of six runs per game on an average of 10.7 hits per game. The team has scored eight-plus runs in 10 games and collected 14 or more hits in seven games. They've also scored at least four runs in an inning 12 times...Last night snapped a streak with at least four runs scored in nine straight home games, but the Dodgers have scored at least four runs in 10 of the last 12 at The Brick...Tonight they'll look to avoid losing three consecutive home games for the second time this season (previously May 7-9).
Pumping the Brakes: The Dodgers had scored at least four runs in 12 straight games until being held to three runs last night. And prior to Monday in Fresno, the team had notched 11 or more hits in seven straight games, but they've been held to a total of 11 hits over the past two games combined, going 11-for-66 (.167), which includes 3-for-18 with runners in scoring position...Wednesday's five-hit output was the team's lowest at home this season over 30 games. Last night also marked just the third time all season the Dodgers failed to collect an extra-base hit and the first time since May 7 vs. Colorado Springs.
Teach Me How to Dougie: Alex Verdugo did not play last night but has hit safely in eight straight games, going 14-for-37 (.378) with five RBI and three runs scored. He has also hit safely in 19 of his last 20 games, going 31-for-85 (.365) with 11 runs scored and nine RBI...Verdugo ranks second on the team with 52 hits despite playing in just 39 of the team's 61 games.
Give Me Some Mora: Angelo Mora went 0-for-4 last night, snapping an eight-game hitting streak. Over the nine-game stretch Mora is 17-for-39 (.436) with 11 RBI and six runs scored. Since June 3, he leads the PCL in hits and ranks third in batting average and tied for third in RBI. Over his last five games, he is 10-for-22 with four extra-base hits and seven RBI.
Ya Better Call Taijeron: Travis Taijeron did not play Wednesday, but he has hit safely in six of his last seven games. During the seven-game stretch, he is batting .355 (11-for-31) with five extra-base hits, five RBI and six runs scored.
Around The Horn: Edwin Ríos collected his sixth RBI over the last three games Wednesday and has driven in 10 runs over his first 15 games with OKC this season...Yesterday the Dodgers scored three runs in the first inning after scoring three runs in the first inning over the previous 19 games combined...The Dodgers have allowed 63 runs through their first 11 games of June -- third-most in the PCL behind Las Vegas (92) and New Orleans (66)...OKC's opponent has scored in the first or second inning in 18 of the last 21 games, including the last nine straight...Last night was the sixth time an opponent notched a last at-bat win and the second straight time it's happened at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Express Walkoff River Cats 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Martini's Blast Leads Sounds to Comeback Win - Nashville Sounds
- 'Birds Storm Back Late to Win in Extras - Memphis Redbirds
- Solid Pitching, Late Offensive Spurt Propel Cakes to Thursday Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno falls 4-1 Thursday night in NOLA - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Even Series with 4-1 Win Thursday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- "Coming to Fresno" & "WonderDogs" Highlight Upcoming Grizz Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-33) at El Paso Chihuahuas (33-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 14, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OKC Dodgers to Air 15 Games Through YurView on Cox - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds' Brad LaRosa Named Pacific Coast League Athletic Trainer for Triple-A All-Star Game - Nashville Sounds
- Field Staffs Announced for 2018 Triple-A Baseball All-Star Game - PCL
- Pevey to Manage PCL in Triple-A All-Star Game - Iowa Cubs
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony June 15 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (39-27) at Albuquerque Isotopes (32-33) - Memphis Redbirds
- Emily Rose Hollins To Celebrate "Home Run For Life" Saturday With OKC Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Begin Homestand with 6-2 Win over Las Vegas - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- I-Cubs Fold Aces - Iowa Cubs
- Eighth-Inning Rally Lifts Rainiers Over Storm Chasers, 5-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Chasers Fall Late in Tacoma, 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Walk-Off over Nashville to Complete Rally - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late-Game Troubles Doom Sounds Again - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Take Road Trip Opener - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Fall Just Short in 7-5 Loss to River Cats - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- OKC Dodgers Baseball Foundation Helps Provide Winter Coats to Area Elementary Students
- OKC Dodgers MVP Program Now Available Statewide in Oklahoma, Presented by Devon Energy
- Traxxas Monster Truck Tour at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark Postponed
- OKC Dodgers Announce 2019 Schedule
- Redbirds Rally Twice Sunday to Clinch Conference Title