Reno Aces Game Notes
Today's Game: Taylor Clarke looks to build off his recent dominance. Clarke finished the month of May 5-1 with a 2.08 ERA and has started June on a similar path, (0-0, 1.42 ERA). Reno, coming off an 8-7 loss last night, will lean on the bats of Socrates Brito and Christian Walker tonight. Both 40-man roster guys homered last night against the Iowa Cubs, finishing 5-for-8 with three runs scored and four RBI combined.
Last Game: The Aces returned to Greater Nevada Field on Wednesday night and lost, 8-7, to the Iowa Cubs. Reno scored seven runs on twelve hits, but it wasn't enough for Reno to pick up the win. Offensively, the aces were led by Sócrates Brito who went 3-for-4 with a home run and 2 RBI. Jake Buchanan got the start for manager Greg Gross and the Aces. Buchanan went 5.0 innings and allowed 7 runs on 11 hits. The loss moves the Aces to a record of 30-36 on the season, 9.5 games back of first place.
The Return of the Freeman: Mike Freeman returned to Greater Nevada Field for the first time since 8/28/16. Freeman played 272 games for the Aces between 2014 and 2016. Freeman ranks 4th all-time in Aces history with 301 total hits, 4th all-time with 957 AB's, 5th all-time with 172 runs scored and second all-time with 18 triples. The veteran infielder went 2-for-5 tonight with 3 runs scored.
MVP is Back, Jack: Christian Walker belted his 38th home run as a member of the Reno Aces, and his sixth of the 2018 campaign. Walker's 455-foot home run last night came during the bottom of the first inning against Iowa right-hander Daury Torrez. Last night's home run moves Walker into a tie for fourth place with Zach Borenstein and Cole Gillespie on the Aces all-time home run list. Only Peter O'Brien (50), Mike Jacobs (55), and Brandon Allen (55) have more.
A New Era: On this day in 1974, Nolan Ryan, threw an unbelievable 235 pitches, whiffed 19 batters in 13 innings, including Cecil Cooper six consecutive times, in the Angels' 4-3 victory over Boston in 15 innings in Anaheim. The right-hander's performance will be the first of three 19-strikeout outings the Texan throws this season. Aces pitchers have gone over 100 pitches just two times. Below is the top-10 list of most pitches thrown by an Aces pitcher this season.
Aces top-10 pitch counts of 2018
1. Bradin Hagens, 101 - 5/31/18 vs. LV 2. Clay Buchholz, 100 - 5/8/18 vs. ABQ
3. Troy Scribner, 99 - 5/29/18 @ SL 4. Taylor Clarke, 98 -5/23/18 @ FRE
t5. Jake Buchanan, 97 - 5/4/18 vs. TAC t5. Anthony Vasquez, 97 - 6/9/18@ MEM
t7. Taylor Clarke, 96 - 6/8/18 @ MEM t7. Jake Buchanan, 96 - 6/1/18 vs. LV
t9. Jake Buchanan, 95 - 4/23/18 vs. FRE t9. Anthony Vasquez, 95 - 5/27/18 @ SL
t9. Alex Young, 95 - 5/30/18 vs. LV
Bigger than Baseball: The Reno Aces will host Saint Mary's "Home Run for Life" ceremony, featuring Carol Davison, a cancer survivor, on Friday, June 15 when the Aces take on the Iowa Cubs at 7:05 p.m. at Greater Nevada Field. Since 2014, the Aces and Saint Mary's have been partnered to showcase the "Home Run for Life" program. Once a month, a brave individual in the Northern Nevada community is honored by taking a ceremonial trip around the bases with each team lining the baselines. The ceremony symbolizes the end of a battle against adversity. Individuals honored had overcome a significant medical event in their life with the help of Saint Mary's personnel.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Express Walkoff River Cats 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Martini's Blast Leads Sounds to Comeback Win - Nashville Sounds
- 'Birds Storm Back Late to Win in Extras - Memphis Redbirds
- Solid Pitching, Late Offensive Spurt Propel Cakes to Thursday Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno falls 4-1 Thursday night in NOLA - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Even Series with 4-1 Win Thursday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- "Coming to Fresno" & "WonderDogs" Highlight Upcoming Grizz Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-33) at El Paso Chihuahuas (33-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 14, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OKC Dodgers to Air 15 Games Through YurView on Cox - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds' Brad LaRosa Named Pacific Coast League Athletic Trainer for Triple-A All-Star Game - Nashville Sounds
- Field Staffs Announced for 2018 Triple-A Baseball All-Star Game - PCL
- Pevey to Manage PCL in Triple-A All-Star Game - Iowa Cubs
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony June 15 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (39-27) at Albuquerque Isotopes (32-33) - Memphis Redbirds
- Emily Rose Hollins To Celebrate "Home Run For Life" Saturday With OKC Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Begin Homestand with 6-2 Win over Las Vegas - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- I-Cubs Fold Aces - Iowa Cubs
- Eighth-Inning Rally Lifts Rainiers Over Storm Chasers, 5-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Chasers Fall Late in Tacoma, 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Walk-Off over Nashville to Complete Rally - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late-Game Troubles Doom Sounds Again - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Take Road Trip Opener - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Fall Just Short in 7-5 Loss to River Cats - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- Reno Ice Rink Opens Next Week
- JAKKS Pacific Donates Toys to Reno Aces & Reno 1868 FC
- Aces, Greater Nevada Field to Host World Series Watch Party
- Aces Program at Greater Nevada Field Raises More Than $61,000
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Slaughter House Halloween Attraction