I-Cubs Fold Aces
RENO, NV - Iowa and Reno combined for 15 runs on 25 hits but the I-Cubs (25-38) tipped the scales to take an 8-7 victory over the Aces (30-36), Wednesday at Greater Nevada Field.
Mark Zagunis and Mike Freeman used the first four pitches of the game to thump back-to-back singles off former I-Cub Jake Buchanan, setting the tone for Iowa's offense in the game. Taylor Davis brought in both runners with a single and Iowa captured a 2-0 lead in the first.
Christian Walker helped the Aces with one swing of the bat, punching his sixth homer of the season with a two-run shot to even the score in the bottom of the frame.
Iowa skipped to a 5-2 edge with a three-run third as the team batted around. Davis hit in his third run of the game, followed by a two-RBI single from Jacob Hannemann.
The I-Cubs and Aces traded runs throughout the game as at least one run scored in six of the nine innings played. Iowa collected hits from all eight position players as four I-Cubs notched multi-hit games in Davis, Hannemann, Zagunis and Freeman.
Reno made it interesting - pulling within a run with a two-run seventh - but Iowa was able to hang on for its 12th one-run victory of the season.
Brad Markey (2-2) collected the win with 1.2 scoreless innings. Dillon Maples logged the save for the second-consecutive game to notch his fifth of the season.
Iowa and Reno play the middle contest of the three-game set tomorrow at 9:05 p.m. CT. Follow the action on www.iowacubs.com, AM 940, or MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Express Walkoff River Cats 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Martini's Blast Leads Sounds to Comeback Win - Nashville Sounds
- 'Birds Storm Back Late to Win in Extras - Memphis Redbirds
- Solid Pitching, Late Offensive Spurt Propel Cakes to Thursday Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno falls 4-1 Thursday night in NOLA - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Even Series with 4-1 Win Thursday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- "Coming to Fresno" & "WonderDogs" Highlight Upcoming Grizz Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-33) at El Paso Chihuahuas (33-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 14, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OKC Dodgers to Air 15 Games Through YurView on Cox - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds' Brad LaRosa Named Pacific Coast League Athletic Trainer for Triple-A All-Star Game - Nashville Sounds
- Field Staffs Announced for 2018 Triple-A Baseball All-Star Game - PCL
- Pevey to Manage PCL in Triple-A All-Star Game - Iowa Cubs
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony June 15 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (39-27) at Albuquerque Isotopes (32-33) - Memphis Redbirds
- Emily Rose Hollins To Celebrate "Home Run For Life" Saturday With OKC Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Begin Homestand with 6-2 Win over Las Vegas - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- I-Cubs Fold Aces - Iowa Cubs
- Eighth-Inning Rally Lifts Rainiers Over Storm Chasers, 5-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Chasers Fall Late in Tacoma, 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Walk-Off over Nashville to Complete Rally - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late-Game Troubles Doom Sounds Again - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Take Road Trip Opener - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Fall Just Short in 7-5 Loss to River Cats - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.