Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony June 15
RENO, Nev. - The Reno Aces will host Saint Mary's "Home Run for Life" ceremony, featuring Carol Davison, a cancer survivor, on Friday, June 15 when the Aces take on the Iowa Cubs at 7:05 p.m. at Greater Nevada Field.
Since 2014, the Aces and Saint Mary's have been partnered to showcase the "Home Run for Life" program. Once a month, a brave individual in the Northern Nevada community is honored by taking a ceremonial trip around the bases with each team lining the baselines. The ceremony symbolizes the end of a battle against adversity. Individuals honored had overcome a significant medical event in their life with the help of Saint Mary's personnel.
In 2016, Carol felt a lump in her left breast. After getting an appointment with her doctor and having a mammogram, she was told that it was "just a cyst and there was nothing to worry about." At the time, the lump was only the size of a quarter.
In June 2017, that quarter size lump grew to the size of an "Aces" baseball. Carol then had a biopsy and was diagnosed with invasive lobular carcinoma. By this time, surgery was not an option. Her medical oncologist sent her to Saint Mary's Center for Cancer to undergo 8 treatments of Chemotherapy, to shrink the tumor before they could remove it. The chemotherapy did its job to shrink her tumor but, was causing severe liver damage, so she could not finish all 8 treatments.
During the chemotherapy treatments, she also developed a blot clot in her lungs and was diagnosed with Factor 5, a blood clotting disorder. She continues to have a IVC filter to catch the blood clots before they enter her lungs.
After 2 lumpectomies and 36 treatments of radiation, at Saint Mary's Carol is now cancer free.
Davison will round the bases commemorating her "Home Run for Life" in the middle of the second inning Friday night. The Reno Aces and Iowa players and staff will be lined up along each baseline to greet Davison as she makes her way toward home plate while her story of adversity and triumph is publicly announced to the stadium crowd.
Greater Nevada Field gates open at 6:05 p.m. on Friday, June 15. Tickets are on-sale now at www.renoaces.com or by calling (775) 334-7000. Follow the club all season long on Twitter (@Aces) or like the team on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Express Walkoff River Cats 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Martini's Blast Leads Sounds to Comeback Win - Nashville Sounds
- 'Birds Storm Back Late to Win in Extras - Memphis Redbirds
- Solid Pitching, Late Offensive Spurt Propel Cakes to Thursday Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Fresno falls 4-1 Thursday night in NOLA - Fresno Grizzlies
- Dodgers Even Series with 4-1 Win Thursday - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- "Coming to Fresno" & "WonderDogs" Highlight Upcoming Grizz Homestand - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (30-33) at El Paso Chihuahuas (33-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 14, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OKC Dodgers to Air 15 Games Through YurView on Cox - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds' Brad LaRosa Named Pacific Coast League Athletic Trainer for Triple-A All-Star Game - Nashville Sounds
- Field Staffs Announced for 2018 Triple-A Baseball All-Star Game - PCL
- Pevey to Manage PCL in Triple-A All-Star Game - Iowa Cubs
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony June 15 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (39-27) at Albuquerque Isotopes (32-33) - Memphis Redbirds
- Emily Rose Hollins To Celebrate "Home Run For Life" Saturday With OKC Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Begin Homestand with 6-2 Win over Las Vegas - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- I-Cubs Fold Aces - Iowa Cubs
- Eighth-Inning Rally Lifts Rainiers Over Storm Chasers, 5-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Chasers Fall Late in Tacoma, 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chihuahuas Walk-Off over Nashville to Complete Rally - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Late-Game Troubles Doom Sounds Again - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Take Road Trip Opener - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Fall Just Short in 7-5 Loss to River Cats - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.