Dwight Helminen Recalled To Carolina
ALBANY, NY - The Albany River Rats announced today that center Dwight Helminen has been recalled to their parent club, the Carolina Hurricanes of the National Hockey League.
Helminen, who signed a one-year two-way NHL contract with Carolina this summer, was recalled on an emergency basis after rookie center Brandon Sutter suffered an injury during the Hurricanes' 4-3 win over the New York Islanders Saturday night at Nassau Coliseum. With only eleven healthy forwards on Carolina's roster, it looks promising that Helminen will make his NHL debut on Tuesday night, October 28th, when the Hurricanes travel to Montreal for a 7:30 pm face off with the Montreal Canadiens at the Bell Centre.
Helminen, 25, has four points (2 goals, 2 assists) in six games with the River Rats this season. The Hancock, MI, native spent last season playing for JYP Jyvaskyla of Finland's SM-Liiga, totaling 45 points (20g, 25a) in 52 games. Originally drafted by the Edmonton Oilers in the eighth round of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, Helminen has earned 107 points (51g, 56a) in 204 career AHL games with Hartford and Albany. He becomes the first River Rats player to be recalled to Carolina during the 2008-09 season; in 2007-08 the Hurricanes called-up ten different River Rats players, with five of those players making their NHL debuts.
Albany returns to action on Friday, October 31st when they welcome their former captain Keith Aucoin and the Hershey Bears to the Times Union Center for a 7:00 pm Halloween night face off. This weekend the River Rats hit the road for a pair of games in Connecticut. Saturday Albany travels to Hartford for a 7:00 pm game against the Wolf Pack and Sunday, November 2nd the Rats are back at the Arena at Harbor Yard at 4:00 pm for their third game of the year against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
River Rats flex ticket packages and individual game tickets are on sale now at the River Rats office and the Times Union Center Box Office. For more information please contact the Albany River Rats at (518) 487-2244 or online at www.albanyriverrats.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 27, 2008
- Flames Win Two Of Three On Eastern Swing - Abbotsford Heat
- Defense Producing Points - Syracuse Crunch
- Columbus Reassigns Defenseman Kyle Wharton - Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Announce Details of RE/MAX Realty Plus 'Hottest Property of the Month' Award - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Houston Aeros specials this week include Happy Hour, Halloween and Election - Houston Aeros
- Amerks Players Out And About This Week - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Canadiens Assign Mathieu Carle To Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Abdelkader and Leino Power Griffins' Fast Start - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Newcomers Helping Griffins To Quick Start - AHL
- Hamilton Hosts Hershey And Lake Erie; Travels To Rochester And Toronto This Week - Hamilton Bulldogs
- "Be a Leader" Community Service Day Set For Wednesday - Worcester Sharks
- Lowell Splits for Second Straight Week - Albany Devils
- Pirates weekly - Portland Pirates
- Tomas Kana and T.J. Fast Assigned to Alaska - Peoria Rivermen
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- San Jose Sharks recall forward Jamie McGinn from Worcester - Worcester Sharks
- River Rats Weekly - Albany River Rats
- Flames' Keetley named Reebok/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Rivermen Weekly - Peoria Rivermen
- Houston Aeros Weekly - Houston Aeros
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Begin Six-Game Homestand This Weekend - Rochester Americans
- Rivermen to Visit Children's Hospital of Illinois - Peoria Rivermen
- Hawks Recall Barker, Hogs And Fresno Swap Forwards - Rockford IceHogs
- Hog Talk Tonight At Cousin's Bar And Grill - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs' winning way continue in week three - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Ready for Home Cooking after Two Weeks in the Wild West - Norfolk Admirals
- Dwight Helminen Recalled To Carolina - Albany River Rats
- Grand Week For The Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Hit The Road In Week Three - Manitoba Moose
- Monarchs Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Bears Score League Leading 44 Goals In First Eight Games - Hershey Bears
- Sharks can't buy goals at the end of four game home stand - Worcester Sharks
- San Jose Sharks Reassign Forward Brad Staubitz To Worcester - Worcester Sharks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.