'Dogs and Ponies Split Twinbill
Portland, Maine - The Sea Dogs (8-16) and Binghamton Rumble Ponies (7-17) split a doubleheader on Friday night at Hadlock Field. Binghamton won game one 12-5 and Portland took game two 5-3.
Game 1 Recap
After a two hour and three minute delay prior to game one, it was Binghamton who had the last laugh in a back-and-forth game, scoring seven runs in the top of the seventh to pull away from the Sea Dogs with a 12-5 win.
Binghamton jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the third, but Portland tied it up in the bottom of the inning on a three-run homer by Luke Tendler, his first of the season.
The Sea Dogs took their first lead the very next inning on a two-run home run from Jeremy Rivera in his first game since being activated from the injured list.
Binghamton tied things up at five on a two-out, two-run double by Barrett Barnes off of Tanner Houck. Barnes finished the game with three hits and five RBIs.
Houck (ND) went 5.1 innings in his start and allowed five earned runs on nine hits while striking out four and walking three.
Everything changed in the seventh. The Rumble Ponies sent 12 men to the plate and scored seven runs on six hits, three hit batters, and a Sea Dogs' error. Andrew Schwaab (L, 1-1) was charged with all seven runs in 1.1 innings and was the losing pitcher.
PJ Conlon (W, 1-0) earned the win and pitched a perfect sixth for Binghamton, he struck out two.
Game 2 Recap
The Sea Dogs were able to answer behind a gutty start from Daniel McGrath and some early offense to take game two 5-3.
The Sea Dogs got on the board quickly on an RBI single by Luke Tendler with two outs in the first, then Portland extended their lead with a four-run second that featured a two-run double from Brett Netzer and RBI singles by CJ Chatham and Jerry Downs.
Binghamton slowly chipped away over the next four innings, scoring a run in the third, fifth, and sixth to trim Portland's lead to 5-3. But the Ponies stranded the bases loaded in both the fifth and sixth innings.
Daniel McGrath (W, 1-0) dug deep in a spot start, hurling 5.1 innings and allowing three runs (two earned) on five hits while walking four and striking out four. The southpaw threw a season-high 95 pitches.
Ryder Ryan (L, 0-1) allowed five runs on five hits in 1.1 innings in his start for Binghamton.
Portland and Binghamton continue their six-game series on Saturday afternoon at 1:00 PM from Hadlock Field. LHP Darwinzon Hernandez (1-1, 5.97) makes his fourth start of the season for Portland. LHP David Peterson (1-2, 3.71) starts for Binghamton. Radio coverage on the WPEI U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network begins at 12:45 PM. The game is available on the tune-in app and MiLB.TV.
Tickets for Saturday's game can be purchased at 207-879-9500 or seadogs.com. Book your nine inning vacation today!
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 4, 2019
- Top Pick Stifles Bowie in Chill of Erie Night - Bowie Baysox
- Gatos Feroces de New Hampshire Outlasted by Los Chivos de Hartford on Saturday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Yard Goats Beat Fisher Cats in Extra Innings 3-1 - Hartford Yard Goats
- Richmond Pitchers Get Squirrly, Curve Wins Third Straight - Altoona Curve
- Sardinas Powers Sens to 6-5 Win over Trenton - Harrisburg Senators
- Senators Rally for 6-5 Decision on Saturday - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins and RubberDucks Washed Out - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks-Fightin Phils Postponed Saturday; Doubleheader Sunday at 1:05 p.m. - Akron RubberDucks
- Ponies Pull out Extra Inning Win at Hadlock - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Binghamton Takes It, 5-4 in 10 Innings - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #24: Rumble Ponies (14-9) vs. Sea Dogs (8-16) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 4th vs. Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Seven-Run Seventh Leads Ponies to Doubleheader Split - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- 'Dogs and Ponies Split Twinbill - Portland Sea Dogs
- Four-Run Ninth Completes Comeback Win for Curve - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Sea Dogs Stories
- Wade Fires Seven Scoreless in a 4-0 Win over New Hampshire
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 16th at New Hampshire
- Bruins' Matt Grzelcyk Coming to Hadlock on August 7th
- Joey Curletta Goes 2-For-4 in 2-0 Loss at New Hampshire
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 15th at New Hampshire