Yard Goats Beat Fisher Cats in Extra Innings 3-1
Manchester, NH - Yard Goats outfielder Manny Melendez ripped a two-out two-run double in the 10th inning to lead Harford to a 3-1 victory over the New Hampshire Fisher Cats on Saturday night at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium in Manchester, New Hampshire. It was the Yard Goats first extra inning victory as the Rockies affiliate got back to .500 for the first time April 24th. Bret Boswell hammered a solo home run in the second inning to give the Yard Goats an early lead but New Hampshire tied the game with a solo home run by Gunnar Heidt in the seventh. Hartford pitching has allowed one or less runs in four of the past five games. The Yard Goats will have a chance to get over .500 for the first time this season with a victory tomorrow afternoon.
Hartford left-hander Ty Culbreth fired six shutout innings becoming the fifth consecutive starter to not surrender an earned run in a start, extending the streak to 30.2 innings. Yard Goats pitching combined for 12 strikeouts while winning for the fourth time in five games. Culbreth registered a season-high eight strikeouts.
After stranding two runners in the first inning, the Yard Goats got a run on a solo home run by Bret Boswell in the second. Fisher Cats starter Hector Perez retired the first two hitters of the inning before Boswell stepped to the plate. The Yard Goats second baseman hit a rocket over the right center field fence to give Hartford a 1-0 lead. It was his third homer of the season.
Ty Culbreth was terrific and permitted only three singles in six scoreless frames. He retired the first ten batters and 12 of the first 13 men. Rayan Gonzalez surrendered a solo homer to Gunnar Height who tied the game at 1-1 in the seventh. Heath Holder took over in the eighth and sat down all six batters faced.
The Yard Goats scored a pair of runs in the 10th inning to take a 3-1 lead. Arvicent Perez was the runner at second base to start the inning off Bryan Baker. Bret Boswell and Vance Vizcaino walked to load the bases. Manny Melendez then cracked a double down the left field line, scoring Perez and Boswell and giving the Yard Goats a 3-1 lead. Hartford closer Ben Bowden retired all three batters and earned his Eastern League leading 9th save.
The Yard Goats wrap up the four game weekend series on Sunday afternoon in Manchester, New Hampshire at 1:35PM. RHP Rico Garcia will start for the Yard Goats and LHP Zach Logue will pitch for the Fisher Cats. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and 100.9 FM and streamed on newsradio.1410.com and MiLB.com.
May 4, 2019
Final: 10 innings Hartford Yard Goats 3, New Hampshire Fisher Cats 1
WP: Heath Holder (2-1)
LP: Bryan Baker (1-1)
SV: Ben Bowden (9)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 4, 2019
- Top Pick Stifles Bowie in Chill of Erie Night - Bowie Baysox
- Gatos Feroces de New Hampshire Outlasted by Los Chivos de Hartford on Saturday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Yard Goats Beat Fisher Cats in Extra Innings 3-1 - Hartford Yard Goats
- Richmond Pitchers Get Squirrly, Curve Wins Third Straight - Altoona Curve
- Sardinas Powers Sens to 6-5 Win over Trenton - Harrisburg Senators
- Senators Rally for 6-5 Decision on Saturday - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins and RubberDucks Washed Out - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks-Fightin Phils Postponed Saturday; Doubleheader Sunday at 1:05 p.m. - Akron RubberDucks
- Ponies Pull out Extra Inning Win at Hadlock - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Binghamton Takes It, 5-4 in 10 Innings - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #24: Rumble Ponies (14-9) vs. Sea Dogs (8-16) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 4th vs. Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Seven-Run Seventh Leads Ponies to Doubleheader Split - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- 'Dogs and Ponies Split Twinbill - Portland Sea Dogs
- Four-Run Ninth Completes Comeback Win for Curve - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Yard Goats to Host 2019 Winter FanFest at Dunkin'Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Win Top Community Award from Minor League Baseball
- Hartford Yard Goats Selected to Host 2021 Eastern League All-Star Game
- Yard Goats to Once Again Host Connecticut's Largest Halloween Trick Or Treat Event
- Yard Goats Recognized for Two Major Awards by Eastern League