Binghamton Takes It, 5-4 in 10 Innings
Portland, Maine - The Binghamton Rumble Ponies (15-9) emerged victorious in a back-and-forth game, defeating the Sea Dogs (8-17) 5-4 in 10 innings on Saturday afternoon at Hadlock Field.
Binghamton used a sac bunt and an intentional walk to put runners on the corners against Adam Lau in the 10th. After Barrett Barnes stole second, Ali Sanchez hit a bounding ball to third and Arismendy
Alcantara dove home safely just ahead of the throw from Bobby Dalbec to plate the winning run.
The Sea Dogs trailed 4-2 entering the bottom of the ninth. Aneury Tavarez singled to lead off the inning, then Marcus Wilson doubled to put runners on second and third with nobody out against Ryley Gilliam. Gilliam struck out Jeremy Rivera then allowed a sac fly to CJ Chatham on a 3-0 pitch to make it a 4-3 game. With a full count, Bobby Dalbec doubled off the Maine Monster to tie it up 4-4.
Gilliam (W, 1-0) shut the door in the 10th to earn the win after blowing the save in the ninth. Lau (L, 0-1) ended up throwing a career-high 4.1 innings of relief to shore up a fatigued Sea Dogs' bullpen.
The Sea Dogs had a 2-1 lead until the sixth. Darwinzon Hernandez struck out the first two batters of the inning, then Will Toffey worked a walk on a full count. Mike Paez battled to a full count and hit a double high off the Maine Monster to score Toffey and tie the game 2-2.
Dario Pizzano led off the seventh with a single off of Lau and advanced to second on a sac bunt by Jason Krizan. After a single by Alcantarara, Andres Gimenez hit a sac fly to center to give Binghamton a 3-2 lead, then Barnes singled to make it a 4-2 game.
Both starters were sharp. Hernandez (ND) allowed two runs on just three hits over 5.2 innings, he walked three and struck out five. He also threw a career-high 105 pitches. David Peterson (ND) allowed two runs on nine hits in 5.2 innings with one walk and a season-high nine strikeouts.
Dustin Pedroia continued his rehab assignment with the Sea Dogs and finished the game 3-for-4 with three singles and an RBI.
The Sea Dogs and Binghamton Rumble Ponies (Mets affiliate) play a doubleheader on Sunday beginning at 1:00 PM from Hadlock Field. LHP Dedgar Jimenez (0-2, 6.32) and LHP Matthew Kent (1-1, 1.25) start for Portland. Radio coverage on the WPEI U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network begins at 12:45 PM. The game is available on the tune-in app and MiLB.TV.
Tickets can be purchased at 207-879-9500 or seadogs.com. Book your nine inning vacation today!
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 4, 2019
- Top Pick Stifles Bowie in Chill of Erie Night - Bowie Baysox
- Gatos Feroces de New Hampshire Outlasted by Los Chivos de Hartford on Saturday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Yard Goats Beat Fisher Cats in Extra Innings 3-1 - Hartford Yard Goats
- Richmond Pitchers Get Squirrly, Curve Wins Third Straight - Altoona Curve
- Sardinas Powers Sens to 6-5 Win over Trenton - Harrisburg Senators
- Senators Rally for 6-5 Decision on Saturday - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins and RubberDucks Washed Out - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks-Fightin Phils Postponed Saturday; Doubleheader Sunday at 1:05 p.m. - Akron RubberDucks
- Ponies Pull out Extra Inning Win at Hadlock - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Binghamton Takes It, 5-4 in 10 Innings - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #24: Rumble Ponies (14-9) vs. Sea Dogs (8-16) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 4th vs. Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Seven-Run Seventh Leads Ponies to Doubleheader Split - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- 'Dogs and Ponies Split Twinbill - Portland Sea Dogs
- Four-Run Ninth Completes Comeback Win for Curve - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.