Dennis Gilbert Signs with Blackhawks, Will Report to Rockford
ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that they have agreed to terms with defenseman Dennis Gilbert on a three-year contract that runs through the 2020-21 season. Gilbert will immediately join the American Hockey League's Rockford IceHogs.
Gilbert, 21, was selected by the Blackhawks in the third round (91st overall) of the 2015 NHL Draft. The blueliner recently completed his junior season at the University of Notre Dame where he scored 10 points (4g, 6a) in 39 games. He recorded his first career two-goal game on Dec. 9, 2017 at Wisconsin.
The Buffalo, N.Y. native capped his three-year college career with 42 points (6g, 36a) in 116 career college games. As a sophomore with the Fighting Irish, he helped his team to the Frozen Four and was named the Hockey East's Best Defensive Defenseman and a Hockey East Third Team All-Star. The defenseman led the team with a career-high +27 plus/minus that season, and ranked first among Notre Dame defensemen with 22 assists during the campaign.
Prior to playing at Notre Dame, Gilbert played the 2014-15 season with the Chicago Steel of the USHL, where he tallied 27 points (4g, 23a) in 59 games and was named to the USHL All-Rookie Team.
Next Home Game: Friday, April 13 vs. Chicago
The IceHogs host their final home game of the 2017-18 regular season with an Illinois Lottery Cup series matchup against the Chicago Wolves. Friday is Fan Appreciation Night and the first 2,500 fans in attendance will receive a free copy of this season's team photo, courtesy of American Solutions for Business. Tickets can be purchased at IceHogs.com, by calling (815) 968-5222 or in-person at the BMO Harris Bank Center Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2018
- Wolves Win Back-To-Back Division Titles - Chicago Wolves
- Cleveland Sneaks by Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Shuts out Milwaukee 3-0 - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Overcome Three-Goal Deficit to Defeat B-Sens in Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Chicago Wolves Open Calder Cup Playoffs against Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Bernier, Bailey each score in Friday's setback to Lehigh Valley - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Griffins to Face Moose in Central Division Semifinals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Martel Nets 2 Goals as Lehigh Valley Downs Bridgeport 5-2 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Czarnik Hits Milestone in P-Bruins 5-3 Loss to Charlotte - Providence Bruins
- Schneider Lifts Wolf Pack to OT Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks Stage Comeback to Beat Senators - Belleville Senators
- Devils Fall to Wolf Pack in OT, 2-1 - Binghamton Devils
- Checkers Beat Bruins for Big 5-3 Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Sprong Sets Franchise Record in Penguins' 3-2 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Shock Moose in Home Finale, 3-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Clinch Galaxy Cup with OT Win over Comets - Utica Comets
- Hunt Tallies Two More Points, But Penguins Prevail - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Top Comets in Overtime, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Roster Moves - Syracuse Crunch
- Game #67 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Add Three on Amateur Tryouts - Tucson Roadrunners
- Phil Varone Voted AHL MVP for 2017-18 Season - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Lehigh Valley's Phil Varone Voted Winner of 2017-18 Les Cunningham Award - AHL
- Rampage Goaltender Spencer Martin Recalled to Colorado Avalanche During Stanley Cup Playoffs - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Night out at the HUB Set for Monday - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hogs Can Clinch Lottery Cup Tonight against Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Dennis Gilbert Signs with Blackhawks, Will Report to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Thunderbirds Announce Sellout for Season Finale on Saturday, April 14 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Complete Season this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Last Trip to Laval this Season - Toronto Marlies
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Americans, April 13 - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Reassign Johansson to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- 'Cuda Down Condors 4-3 in Home Finale, Keep Playoff Hopes Intact - San Jose Barracuda
- Griffins Score Four Straight, Win 6-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marody Scores First Pro Goal in Condors Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- San Antonio Suffers 6-2 Loss to Grand Rapids - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- IceHogs Announce Two Date Changes for 2018-19 Season
- Celebrate Rockford Day with $8.15 Tickets to 2018-19 Home Opener
- IceHogs Agree to Terms with Terry Broadhurst, Neil Manning
- Last Chance to Enter the Anything That Floats Race this Sunday
- Chill out with the IceHogs at the Boone County Fair