Schneider Lifts Wolf Pack to OT Victory
Hartford, CT - Cole Schneider's goal at 1:29 of overtime gave the Hartford Wolf Pack a 2-1 win over the Binghamton Devils Friday night at the XL Center, in the Wolf Pack's last home game of the season, and the front end of a home-and-home between the two teams.
Schneider came off the bench on a line change, and Adam Tambellini, who was going to the bench, led Schneider into the Devil zone with a feed down right wing. Schneider stickhandled toward the middle, and then was just able to stuff the puck past Binghamton goaltender Cam Johnson, inside the post to Johnson's left.
The Devils had tied the game at 5:53 of the third period, on a goal by Nathan Bastian. Michael McLeod handed the puck to Bastian in the slot in the Hartford zone, and he got to his forehand and flicked a shot into the top corner on the glove side of Wolf Pack goaltender Alexander Georgiev, who finished with 20 saves.
"It was good we just stuck with it," Wolf Pack forward Vinni Lettieri said. "It doesn't matter if they scored one to tie it up. We were right there with our momentum, and we kept shifting it back to our side. It was a great goal by [Schneider], and great goaltending by [Georgiev], and it was fun to get that win."
The Wolf Pack power play created the first goal of the game, clicking at 12:48 of the first period with Austin Cangelosi off for interference. Chris Bigras let go a shot from the middle of the blue line that was stopped by Johnson, but he could not control the rebound. Johnson was able to stop a second-chance opportunity for Steven Fogarty, but Ryan Gropp buried a second rebound, with Johnson down on the ice.
With the win, the Wolf Pack finished their home schedule 19-16-3-0.
The Wolf Pack close out their 2017-18 season Saturday night, with a rematch against the Devils at the Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena in Binghamton. Faceoff is 7:05 PM, and all of the action can be heard live on-line at www.979espn.com, and iHeartRadio. Video streaming is available at www.ahllive.com.
Information about all of the Wolf Pack's many attractive ticketing options can be found on-line at www.hartfordwolfpack.com. To speak with a Wolf Pack representative, call (855) 762-6451.
Binghamton Devils 1 at Hartford Wolf Pack 2 (OT)
Friday - XL Center
Binghamton 0 0 1 0 - 1
Hartford 1 0 0 1 - 2
1st Period-1, Hartford, Gropp 13 (Fogarty, Bigras), 12:48 (PP). Penalties-Cangelosi Bng (interference), 11:27.
2nd Period- No Scoring. Penalties-Schneider Hfd (elbowing), 8:59; Strait Bng (tripping), 11:44.
3rd Period-2, Binghamton, Bastian 10 (McLeod, White), 5:53. Penalties-Kapla Bng (tripping), 6:40; Lettieri Hfd (slashing), 9:07.
OT Period-3, Hartford, Schneider 16 (Bigras, Tambellini), 1:29. Penalties-No Penalties
Shots on Goal-Binghamton 7-5-8-1-21. Hartford 12-11-7-3-33.
Power Play Opportunities-Binghamton 0 / 2; Hartford 1 / 3.
Goalies-Binghamton, Johnson 0-1-1 (33 shots-31 saves). Hartford, Georgiev 14-13-7 (21 shots-20 saves).
Referees-Beaudry Halkidis (32), Michael Mullen (7).
Linesmen-Mike Baker (11), Kevin Briganti (39).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2018
- Wolves Win Back-To-Back Division Titles - Chicago Wolves
- Cleveland Sneaks by Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Shuts out Milwaukee 3-0 - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Overcome Three-Goal Deficit to Defeat B-Sens in Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Chicago Wolves Open Calder Cup Playoffs against Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Bernier, Bailey each score in Friday's setback to Lehigh Valley - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Griffins to Face Moose in Central Division Semifinals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Martel Nets 2 Goals as Lehigh Valley Downs Bridgeport 5-2 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Czarnik Hits Milestone in P-Bruins 5-3 Loss to Charlotte - Providence Bruins
- Schneider Lifts Wolf Pack to OT Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks Stage Comeback to Beat Senators - Belleville Senators
- Devils Fall to Wolf Pack in OT, 2-1 - Binghamton Devils
- Checkers Beat Bruins for Big 5-3 Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Sprong Sets Franchise Record in Penguins' 3-2 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Shock Moose in Home Finale, 3-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Clinch Galaxy Cup with OT Win over Comets - Utica Comets
- Hunt Tallies Two More Points, But Penguins Prevail - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Top Comets in Overtime, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Roster Moves - Syracuse Crunch
- Game #67 Preview: Tucson vs. San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Add Three on Amateur Tryouts - Tucson Roadrunners
- Phil Varone Voted AHL MVP for 2017-18 Season - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Lehigh Valley's Phil Varone Voted Winner of 2017-18 Les Cunningham Award - AHL
- Rampage Goaltender Spencer Martin Recalled to Colorado Avalanche During Stanley Cup Playoffs - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Night out at the HUB Set for Monday - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hogs Can Clinch Lottery Cup Tonight against Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Dennis Gilbert Signs with Blackhawks, Will Report to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Thunderbirds Announce Sellout for Season Finale on Saturday, April 14 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Complete Season this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Last Trip to Laval this Season - Toronto Marlies
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Americans, April 13 - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Reassign Johansson to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- 'Cuda Down Condors 4-3 in Home Finale, Keep Playoff Hopes Intact - San Jose Barracuda
- Griffins Score Four Straight, Win 6-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marody Scores First Pro Goal in Condors Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- San Antonio Suffers 6-2 Loss to Grand Rapids - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.