D.C. United and Julian Gressel Agree to Long-Term Contract
Loudoun County, VA - D.C. United and new signing Julian Gressel have agreed to a long-term three-year guaranteed contract with a Club option for the fourth year using Allocation Money, keeping Gressel under contract with the Black and Red through the 2023 MLS season.
"Agreeing to a long-term deal with Julian is a big step for our club as we continue to build a highly competitive roster in MLS," Dave Kasper, D.C. United General Manager and VP of Soccer Operations, said. "He is a young and extremely talented player who has already achieved a great amount in this league, and we're excited to lock down his future with D.C. United.
D.C. United acquired Gressel from Atlanta United FC on Jan. 21, 2020 in exchange for $650,000 in 2020 Allocation Money and $100,000 in 2021 Allocation Money with additional compensation owed to Atlanta if incentives based on performance are met.
"I'm excited to commit my future to the Black-and-Red and look forward to the beginning of a fruitful tenure in the nation's capital," Julian Gressel, said. "D.C. United are a historic club in this league and I'm hoping that I can contribute to helping the team push towards bringing the MLS Cup back to the District and adding that fifth star to our kit. I can't wait to get started and I'm eager to see the fans at Audi Field on Feb. 29 as we kickoff the season against Colorado. Vamos United!"
Gressel joined Atlanta United FC in their inaugural season after being selected 8th overall in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft. He made his debut for Atlanta in their first MLS match in club history on March 5, 2017 against the New York Red Bulls. He recorded his first career assist in the following match when Atlanta beat Minnesota United 6-1 at TCF Bank Stadium on March 12, 2017. In his rookie season, Gressel scored five goals and recorded nine assists in 32 appearances (24 starts) on the way to earning the 2017 MLS Rookie of the Year award.
Since joining Atlanta United in 2017, Gressel has been a leader in assists across the league after recording 32 in 98 appearances (88 starts) since March 2017; ahead of Michael Barrios (30), Maxi Moralez (29), Nicolas Lodeiro (28) and Diego Valeri (27). 29 of Gressel's 32 assists came from open play; another statistical category he leads since joining the league. In addition to the goals he has created, Gressel has scored 15 MLS Regular Season goals in addition to two goals in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with both coming last season against Philadelphia and Toronto. The dynamic midfielder has created 179 total chances during his time with Atlanta to lead one of the most efficient offensive teams in the league in that category. Gressel was an important component in Atlanta's 2018 MLS Cup Championship run after appearing in all five of their postseason matches; playing 90 minutes in each fixture. He recorded an assist in the 3-0 win against the New York Red Bulls in the Eastern Conference Championship.
Prior to being selected by Atlanta United in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft, Gressel played four years for the Providence College NCAA Division I Men's Soccer Team. In four seasons, Gressel scored 30 goals and recorded 26 assists in 74 appearances for the Friars. In his final collegiate season in 2016, Gressel scored 15 goals (five game-winning) and recorded six assists on the way to earning Big East Offensive Player of the Year, NSCAA First-Team All-American and All-Big East First Team accolades along witj being named a Top-15 MAC Hermann Semifinalist.
Transaction: D.C. United sign Julian Gressel to a new long-term contract through the 2023 season using Allocation Money.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 21, 2020
- LA Galaxy x Black Arrow FC to Collaborate for 2020 Season - LA Galaxy
- Colorado Rapids Loan Anderson, Rodriguez, Jackson and Rwatubyaye to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Colorado Rapids
- New York Red Bulls Sign Cristian Casseres Jr to New MLS Contract - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Jonathan Perez to Homegrown Player Contract - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Announces Details for Celebrate25 Week Leading up to 2020 Home Opener on February 29 - FC Dallas
- Orlando City SC Signs 2020 MLS SuperDraft Selection Joey DeZart - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Loan Matt Hundley to Memphis 901 FC - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Signs MLS SuperDraft Pick Achara - Toronto FC
- Major League Soccer Canada and Kellogg Canada Announce Multi-Year Partnership - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Announces 2020 Television Broadcast Schedule & Talent Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Whitecaps FC Welcome GE Appliances Canada as Newest Partner - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC, Estrella Media Announce Spanish-Language Broadcast TV Partnership - Los Angeles FC
- D.C. United and WJLA 24/7 News Reach Deal to Televise Matches in 2020 - D.C. United
- Minnesota United Announces 2020 Broadcast Schedule - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Midfielder Rey Ortiz - FC Cincinnati
- 2020 Single-Match Tickets Now on Sale for All Chicago Fire FC Matches at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Red Bull Arena to Host Greece, Costa Rica for International Friendly - New York Red Bulls
- Nashville SC Collaborates with Judah & the Lion to Create Official Club Anthem - Nashville SC
- D.C. United and Julian Gressel Agree to Long-Term Contract - D.C. United
- YES Network to Televise 26 New York City FC Matches in 2020 - New York City FC
- Columbus Crew SC Reveals 2020 Promotional Calendar - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Plays to 2-2 Draw with CD Olimpia in First Leg of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 Matchup - Seattle Sounders FC
- Game Notes: AD San Carlos 3 - 5 New York City FC - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Acquire Goalkeeper Jon Kempin from Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United Acquire Forward Adrien Perez
- Paul Arriola Selected for the First USMNT Camp of 2021
- D.C. United Appoint Danita Johnson as President of Business Operations
- D.C. United Re-Sign Goalkeeper Chris Seitz Through 2021