New York Red Bulls Sign Cristian Casseres Jr to New MLS Contract
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls have signed Venezuelan midfielder Cristian CÃ¡sseres Jr. to a new multi-year MLS contract, the club announced today. CÃ¡sseres Jr. is set to begin his third season in New York after being named the Red Bulls' Defensive Player of the Year in 2019.
"We are very pleased to reach agreement with Cristian on a new contract," said Red Bulls Sporting Director Denis Hamlett. "Cristian showed his importance to our team last season and we look forward to his continued growth and success this year and beyond."
CÃ¡sseres Jr, 20, made a strong impression with the first team in 2019 in the central midfield. The Venezuelan midfielder recorded 34 tackles won, 29 interceptions, 165 recoveries and finished 34th amongst all outfield players in MLS with 170 duels won, per Opta. Offensively, he tallied three goals and four assists in 1,801 minutes over 23 matches played.
"I'm very happy to renew my contract with the New York Red Bulls, with this beautiful family that has been created by everyone that's part of this team," said CÃ¡sseres Jr. "I'm glad to continue here with the team and will continue to give my all for them."
For country, CÃ¡sseres Jr. has quickly risen for the Venezuelan Youth National team while being a part of the Red Bulls. He has accrued 26 appearances, one goal and two assists in 2,061 minutes played since he began with the Under-17s. CÃ¡sseres Jr. most recently started all four matches in the 2020 CONEMBOL Pre-Olympic Tournament. His game-winning assist against Ecuador helped the Venezuelan U-23s earn their only victory in the group stage.
"Cristian took a big step forward last season, and I'm happy he is rewarded with a new contract," said Head Coach Chris Armas. "Cristian has all the tools, physically and mentally, to continue to grow into an excellent player. He is fearless on the field and his worth ethic and determination to get better every day will continue to serve him and our club well."
CÃ¡sseres Jr and the Red Bulls continue their 2020 preseason in Tucson, Arizona with one more match in the Visit Tucson Sun Cup at Kino Sports Complex. The Red Bulls return home next week to open the 2020 MLS season against FC Cincinnati on March 1 at Red Bull Arena.
Transaction: New York Red Bulls Sign Cristian CÃ¡sseres Jr. to a new MLS contract on February 21, 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 21, 2020
- LA Galaxy x Black Arrow FC to Collaborate for 2020 Season - LA Galaxy
- Colorado Rapids Loan Anderson, Rodriguez, Jackson and Rwatubyaye to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Colorado Rapids
- New York Red Bulls Sign Cristian Casseres Jr to New MLS Contract - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Jonathan Perez to Homegrown Player Contract - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Announces Details for Celebrate25 Week Leading up to 2020 Home Opener on February 29 - FC Dallas
- Orlando City SC Signs 2020 MLS SuperDraft Selection Joey DeZart - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Loan Matt Hundley to Memphis 901 FC - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Signs MLS SuperDraft Pick Achara - Toronto FC
- Major League Soccer Canada and Kellogg Canada Announce Multi-Year Partnership - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Announces 2020 Television Broadcast Schedule & Talent Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Whitecaps FC Welcome GE Appliances Canada as Newest Partner - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC, Estrella Media Announce Spanish-Language Broadcast TV Partnership - Los Angeles FC
- D.C. United and WJLA 24/7 News Reach Deal to Televise Matches in 2020 - D.C. United
- Minnesota United Announces 2020 Broadcast Schedule - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Midfielder Rey Ortiz - FC Cincinnati
- 2020 Single-Match Tickets Now on Sale for All Chicago Fire FC Matches at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Red Bull Arena to Host Greece, Costa Rica for International Friendly - New York Red Bulls
- Nashville SC Collaborates with Judah & the Lion to Create Official Club Anthem - Nashville SC
- D.C. United and Julian Gressel Agree to Long-Term Contract - D.C. United
- YES Network to Televise 26 New York City FC Matches in 2020 - New York City FC
- Columbus Crew SC Reveals 2020 Promotional Calendar - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Plays to 2-2 Draw with CD Olimpia in First Leg of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 Matchup - Seattle Sounders FC
- Game Notes: AD San Carlos 3 - 5 New York City FC - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Match Preview: New York and Atlanta Clash on National TV Saturday Night
- Yanmar Sponsors New York Red Bulls as Jersey Patch Sponsor for MLS Is Back Tournament
- Josh Sims Returns to Southampton FC
- New York Red Bulls Pause Business for Juneteenth
- New York Red Bulls Resume Full Team Training