FC Cincinnati Sign Midfielder Rey Ortiz
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati have signed midfielder Rey Ortiz. The Orange and Blue chose the midfielder with the No. 29 overall selection in the 2020 MLS SuperDraft. Ortiz, 23, will occupy an international roster spot on FC Cincinnati's 2020 roster.
"We feel Rey has earned a contract with what he has shown throughout preseason," FC Cincinnati General Manager Gerard Nijkamp said. "He had an opportunity to showcase his ability and we believe he has adapted well to the professional environment, both on and off the pitch."
Ortiz played four seasons at the University of Portland (2016-19), playing 64 games and recording 50 starts. The Acapulco, Mexico native scored 14 goals and added 26 assists in his career with the Pilots. The midfielder was named to the 2019 All-West Coast Conference First Team and the 2019 United Soccer Coaches All-West Region Second Team.
An LA Galaxy Youth Academy product, Ortiz made a pair of appearances with LA Galaxy II during the 2015 USL Championship season.
FC Cincinnati will return to the field for their second MLS season on Sunday, March 1, when the team opens the season in Harrison, N.J., against the New York Red Bulls. After a road game at Atlanta United FC on Saturday, March 7, FCC will open its 2020 home slate on Saturday, March 14, when the team hosts D.C. United at Nippert Stadium in a 5:30 p.m. game.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati.
Transaction: FC Cincinnati signed midfielder Rey Ortiz on Feb. 21, 2020.
Birthdate: January 6, 1997
Birthplace: Acapulco, Mexico
Hometown: Acapulco, Mexico
School: University of Portland
MLS Roster Status: International
How Acquired: Via signing on Feb. 21, 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 21, 2020
- LA Galaxy x Black Arrow FC to Collaborate for 2020 Season - LA Galaxy
- Colorado Rapids Loan Anderson, Rodriguez, Jackson and Rwatubyaye to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Colorado Rapids
- New York Red Bulls Sign Cristian Casseres Jr to New MLS Contract - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Jonathan Perez to Homegrown Player Contract - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Announces Details for Celebrate25 Week Leading up to 2020 Home Opener on February 29 - FC Dallas
- Orlando City SC Signs 2020 MLS SuperDraft Selection Joey DeZart - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Loan Matt Hundley to Memphis 901 FC - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Signs MLS SuperDraft Pick Achara - Toronto FC
- Major League Soccer Canada and Kellogg Canada Announce Multi-Year Partnership - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Announces 2020 Television Broadcast Schedule & Talent Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Whitecaps FC Welcome GE Appliances Canada as Newest Partner - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC, Estrella Media Announce Spanish-Language Broadcast TV Partnership - Los Angeles FC
- D.C. United and WJLA 24/7 News Reach Deal to Televise Matches in 2020 - D.C. United
- Minnesota United Announces 2020 Broadcast Schedule - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Midfielder Rey Ortiz - FC Cincinnati
- 2020 Single-Match Tickets Now on Sale for All Chicago Fire FC Matches at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Red Bull Arena to Host Greece, Costa Rica for International Friendly - New York Red Bulls
- Nashville SC Collaborates with Judah & the Lion to Create Official Club Anthem - Nashville SC
- D.C. United and Julian Gressel Agree to Long-Term Contract - D.C. United
- YES Network to Televise 26 New York City FC Matches in 2020 - New York City FC
- Columbus Crew SC Reveals 2020 Promotional Calendar - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Plays to 2-2 Draw with CD Olimpia in First Leg of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16 Matchup - Seattle Sounders FC
- Game Notes: AD San Carlos 3 - 5 New York City FC - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 21, 2020
- Lion's Share Hospitality to bring Exciting Food and Beverage Options to FC Cincinnati Fans
- Medunjanin's late game-winner propels FCC in win
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 13, 2020
- Vazquez snaps FC Cincinnati's scoreless streak