Cyclones Acquire Jack Downing from Missouri
CINCINNATI, Ohio - The Cincinnati Cyclones, proud affiliate of the NHL's Florida Panthers and Nashville Predators, announced today that they have acquired forward Jack Downing from the Missouri Mavericks in exchange for forwards Brian Nugent, Lee Reimer, and a player to be named upon completion of the season.
Downing, a 26-year-old, comes to the Cyclones with some impressive pro numbers under his belt. In 143 ECHL games, the New Canaan, Connecticut native has amassed 102 points (53g, 49a). He's also seen ample time at the AHL level, skating in 83 games and contributing 21 points (12g, 9a) for the Binghamton Senators, Providence Bruins, and Iowa Wild. So far this season, the six-foot-three, 201-pound forward has combined for 30 points in 59 contests between South Carolina and Missouri; he ranked sixth on the Mavericks in scoring at the time of the trade to Cincinnati. A year ago, Downing finished fourth on the Stingrays with 25 tallies (16g, 9a) in 43 games. Prior to going pro in 2011, he was a four-year letter winner at the University of Vermont, where he accrued 63 points in 144 collegiate games and was a teammate of Cyclones goaltender Rob Madore.
"Downing brings some excellent size and experience to our locker room," said Cyclones Head Coach Matt Macdonald. "He's been a proven offensive weapon over the years and we're excited to have him contribute for us at such an important time of the season."
Nugent departs Cincinnati with 17 points (5g, 12a) in 55 games this year while Reimer, who recently returned from a preseason injury, was pointless in eight games after coming out of Michigan State University.
"Anytime you make a trade, you've got to give something of value to get something in return - and that was certainly the case here," said Macdonald. "We're very grateful to both Nugent and Reimer for their professionalism and work ethic during their time with the Cyclones and wish them the best of luck in the future."
The Cyclones will be return to U.S. Bank Arena tomorrow night when they welcome in the Orlando Solar Bears at 7:30pm! The first 2,500 fans through the gates will receive a Cyclones Bobblehead featuring Twister! Call 513.421.PUCK to secure your seats and for more details. Fans can also get the latest team updates throughout the season on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 12, 2015
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Release Goaltender Kenny Reiter - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Acquire Forward Ray Kaunisto as Trade Deadline Closes - Florida Everblades
- Aces Acquire LW Dean Chelios from the Indy Fuel in Exchange for Defenseman Quinn Sproule - Alaska Aces
- Fuel Acquire Sproule from Alaska - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - March 12 - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - March 12 - Wichita Thunder
- Aces Acquire Defenseman Landon Oslanski from the Missouri Mavericks in Exchange for Forward Tyler Cu - Alaska Aces
- Deadline Deal Sends Kaunisto to Florida for Futures - Evansville IceMen
- Tyler Currier Returns to the Mavericks in Trade with Aces; Landon Oslanski Dealt to Alaska - Kansas City Mavericks
- Dieude-Fauvel, Perry Return to Mallards; Rioux Back to Iowa - Quad City Mallards
- Akim Aliu Acquired from Bakersfield - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallards Jersey Auction Saturday Night to Benefit Genesis Family Connects - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Ink Rookie Garrick Perry - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavericks Acquire Karlsson and Vance from Steelheads; Missouri Trades Martin Lee to Idaho - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Acquire Defenseman from Missouri - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Acquire Goaltender Guggenberger from Gwinnett - Fort Wayne Komets
- Guggenberger to Fort Wayne for Futures - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades Acquire High-Scoring Forward Pierro-Zabotel - Florida Everblades
- Mavericks Acquire Three Players from Cyclones; Missouri Trades Jack Downing to Cincinnati - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gladiators Pick up Two from the Everblades - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Acquire Jack Downing from Missouri - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Warriors Aim for Largest ECHL Crowd this Season - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Falcons Recall DiPaolo from Reign - Ontario Reign
- Stingrays Add Goaltender Jeff Wyer - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Sign Rookie Defenseman Coldwell - Quad City Mallards
- Aces settle for one point in record 17-round shootout - Alaska Aces
- Eagles, Nixon Comeback against Aces After Shootout, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Stockton Heat Coming Fall 2015 - Stockton Thunder
- Shorthanded Thunder Battle Hard But Fall Short in Ontario - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Strike Thunder in 6-3 Win - Ontario Reign
- Idaho Puts Five on the Board in Win over Condors - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.