Eagles, Nixon Comeback against Aces After Shootout, 4-3
ANCHORAGE, Ala. -The Colorado Eagles (39-19-0-3) needed 17 rounds of the shootout to complete the 4-3 comeback victory against the Alaska Aces (27-23-3-4), Wednesday night at Sullivan Arena.
The scoring started on an Eagles power play, however it was the Aces putting the puck in the net. Alaska forward Ryan Walters hammered home a rebound through Eagles netminder Aaron Crandall's five-hole on the short hand, giving the Aces the early 1-0 lead. Colorado would answer on the same power play when defenseman Teigan Zahn snapped home a wrist shot from the left point to tie the game 1-1, 21 seconds later. Just over a minute later, an Eagles turnover resulted in a breakaway for Aces forward Curt Gogol, who would beat Crandall to put Alaska in the driver's seat, 2-1.
The game went scoreless after that until the 18:21 mark of the second period when Gogol picked the pocket of an Eagles defenseman right in front of Crandall, beating the Eagles goaltender to give the Aces a 3-1 lead heading into the third period.
Eagles forward Brock Nixon wasn't about to let the Eagles leave Sullivan Arena without at least a point, as he pounded a slapshot from the point past Aces netminder Troy Redmann to bring the score to 3-2 with 2:33 remaining in the game. Nixon followed his first goal up with more late-game heroics as he tossed a puck on net which trickled by Redmann with a minute remaining to tie the game at three, sending the two teams into overtime.
After a scoreless five-minute overtime, Alaska and Colorado went to battle in the shootout. After going back and forth for 17 rounds, Eagles forward Nathan Moon rifled a slapshot past Redmann, completing the 4-3 comeback victory against the Alaska Aces. With Ontario and Idaho both winners on Wednesday, the two points were extremely valuable as the Eagles remain two points behind Idaho in the chase for the Pacific Division crown.
Tickets to all Colorado Eagles home games are on sale and start at just $16 per seat. Contact the Eagles ticket office at 970-686-SHOT (7468) or visitwww.ComcastTix.com to reserve your seats today and be part of the action!
Images from this story
Eagles, Aces Stats Recap
Colorado Eagles vs. Alaska Aces
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 12, 2015
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Release Goaltender Kenny Reiter - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Acquire Forward Ray Kaunisto as Trade Deadline Closes - Florida Everblades
- Aces Acquire LW Dean Chelios from the Indy Fuel in Exchange for Defenseman Quinn Sproule - Alaska Aces
- Fuel Acquire Sproule from Alaska - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - March 12 - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - March 12 - Wichita Thunder
- Aces Acquire Defenseman Landon Oslanski from the Missouri Mavericks in Exchange for Forward Tyler Cu - Alaska Aces
- Deadline Deal Sends Kaunisto to Florida for Futures - Evansville IceMen
- Tyler Currier Returns to the Mavericks in Trade with Aces; Landon Oslanski Dealt to Alaska - Kansas City Mavericks
- Dieude-Fauvel, Perry Return to Mallards; Rioux Back to Iowa - Quad City Mallards
- Akim Aliu Acquired from Bakersfield - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallards Jersey Auction Saturday Night to Benefit Genesis Family Connects - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Ink Rookie Garrick Perry - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavericks Acquire Karlsson and Vance from Steelheads; Missouri Trades Martin Lee to Idaho - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Acquire Defenseman from Missouri - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Acquire Goaltender Guggenberger from Gwinnett - Fort Wayne Komets
- Guggenberger to Fort Wayne for Futures - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades Acquire High-Scoring Forward Pierro-Zabotel - Florida Everblades
- Mavericks Acquire Three Players from Cyclones; Missouri Trades Jack Downing to Cincinnati - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gladiators Pick up Two from the Everblades - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Acquire Jack Downing from Missouri - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Warriors Aim for Largest ECHL Crowd this Season - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Falcons Recall DiPaolo from Reign - Ontario Reign
- Stingrays Add Goaltender Jeff Wyer - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Sign Rookie Defenseman Coldwell - Quad City Mallards
- Aces settle for one point in record 17-round shootout - Alaska Aces
- Eagles, Nixon Comeback against Aces After Shootout, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Stockton Heat Coming Fall 2015 - Stockton Thunder
- Shorthanded Thunder Battle Hard But Fall Short in Ontario - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Strike Thunder in 6-3 Win - Ontario Reign
- Idaho Puts Five on the Board in Win over Condors - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.