Deadline Deal Sends Kaunisto to Florida for Futures
EVANSVILLE, Ind.- Ray Kaunisto's time with the Evansville IceMen, presented by Coors Light, will be very brief. One day after acquiring Kaunisto from the Kalamazoo Wings, the IceMen have traded Kaunisto to the Florida Everblades for future considerations. This deal came in just before the ECHL's 2 p.m. central time trade deadline.
"We're trying to build a great team for next year," said IceMen Head Coach Al Sims. "These futures deals will help us do that."
Kaunisto leaves Evansville without actually playing a game with the IceMen. The 6'4 forward has five goals and nine assists in 43 games with the Wings this year.
He comes from a hockey family. Kaunisto's brother Kory played for Kalamazoo last season and his cousin Steven also skates for the Wings this year.
The trade with Florida is the third futures deal made this week by the IceMen. Evansville currently has future considerations for players from the Everblades, the Greenville Road Warriors, the Kalamazoo Wings, and the Rapid City Rush.
On Friday, the IceMen will travel to the state capital for a clash with the Indy Fuel. That game begins at 6:35 p.m. and can be seen at Bar Louie, the Official Watch Party Destination of your Evansville IceMen. Friday's game will also be available on ESPN Evansville 105.3, ESPN Evansville.com, and ECHL TV.
The IceMen return home on Saturday to begin a two-game series with the Orlando Solar Bears. Saturday's game will be Pi Day, with the date matching up to the first five digits of the number pi. The IceMen will wear special Pi Day jerseys that will be available for purchase at a post-game jersey auction. Plus there will be a pie-eating contest during intermission.
Fans Get the 3-2-1 Pack:
3- games of your choice
2- tickets per game
1- IceMen t-shirt
Plus receive one entry per pack purchase to win a team autographed stick and be eligible for early renewal for the 2015-2016 season. Packs start at just $60.
Single game tickets are on sale now for all games including the IceMen's March 14th game against Orlando at the Ford Center Box Office Monday through Friday 10 a.m.-5 p.m. and after noon on weekend game days.
2015-16 season tickets are on sale now. Plans start at just $10 per ticket. Call an IceMen ticket executive at 812-421-GOAL to get your discounted season and group packages.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 12, 2015
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Release Goaltender Kenny Reiter - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Acquire Forward Ray Kaunisto as Trade Deadline Closes - Florida Everblades
- Aces Acquire LW Dean Chelios from the Indy Fuel in Exchange for Defenseman Quinn Sproule - Alaska Aces
- Fuel Acquire Sproule from Alaska - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - March 12 - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - March 12 - Wichita Thunder
- Aces Acquire Defenseman Landon Oslanski from the Missouri Mavericks in Exchange for Forward Tyler Cu - Alaska Aces
- Deadline Deal Sends Kaunisto to Florida for Futures - Evansville IceMen
- Tyler Currier Returns to the Mavericks in Trade with Aces; Landon Oslanski Dealt to Alaska - Kansas City Mavericks
- Dieude-Fauvel, Perry Return to Mallards; Rioux Back to Iowa - Quad City Mallards
- Akim Aliu Acquired from Bakersfield - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallards Jersey Auction Saturday Night to Benefit Genesis Family Connects - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Ink Rookie Garrick Perry - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavericks Acquire Karlsson and Vance from Steelheads; Missouri Trades Martin Lee to Idaho - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Acquire Defenseman from Missouri - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Acquire Goaltender Guggenberger from Gwinnett - Fort Wayne Komets
- Guggenberger to Fort Wayne for Futures - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades Acquire High-Scoring Forward Pierro-Zabotel - Florida Everblades
- Mavericks Acquire Three Players from Cyclones; Missouri Trades Jack Downing to Cincinnati - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gladiators Pick up Two from the Everblades - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Acquire Jack Downing from Missouri - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Warriors Aim for Largest ECHL Crowd this Season - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Falcons Recall DiPaolo from Reign - Ontario Reign
- Stingrays Add Goaltender Jeff Wyer - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Sign Rookie Defenseman Coldwell - Quad City Mallards
- Aces settle for one point in record 17-round shootout - Alaska Aces
- Eagles, Nixon Comeback against Aces After Shootout, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Stockton Heat Coming Fall 2015 - Stockton Thunder
- Shorthanded Thunder Battle Hard But Fall Short in Ontario - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Strike Thunder in 6-3 Win - Ontario Reign
- Idaho Puts Five on the Board in Win over Condors - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.