Stockton Heat Coming Fall 2015
Stockton, Calif. - The Stockton AHL franchise, owned by the Calgary Flames, announce that the team will be known as the Stockton Heat beginning Fall 2015. The announcement was made Wednesday night at the University Plaza Waterfront Hotel during the first intermission of the Stockton Thunder watch party.
Team President Dave Piecuch and the Mayor of Stockton Anthony Silva shared the stage, as the new team name and logo were unveiled before a large crowd of fans eagerly waiting to be the first to get a glimpse of the new look.
"Calgary wanted to rebrand the team for a couple of reasons," Piecuch said. "First, they wanted the fans to have no confusion that this is a new team at a higher level. They were also eager for a fresh start for hockey in the City of Stockton under a new banner."
The new owners opened a name the team contest so that the fans could have a say in what the new name would be. The name Stockton Heat was selected as the winner out of a group of five finalists submitted by the fans.
"The Flames were excited to open the name the team contest to the fans so that they could have their voices heard," Piecuch said. "There were close to 10,000 entries in the contest. Of the seven most popular entries, five of them were Flames-related, and those became the five finalists. The name Heat, which was one of the most-entered names, was chosen out of the five finalists because the Central Valley is certainly known for its heat and it kept the name weather related, something that California is known for across the world."
Piecuch and Mayor Silva showed off the new sweaters as the announcement was made. The new jerseys represent a new era for hockey in Stockton and are a symbol for how successful the marriage between hockey and the City of Stockton has been for the past decade.
The fan reaction at the reveal was very positive as fans in attendance were excited to see the new logo and begin the next decade of hockey in Stockton.
The winner of the name the team contest was Daniel Harms as he walked away with the grand prize of two season tickets for next year's inaugural AHL season and a brand new Stockton Heat sweater to wear at all of next year's home games.
Other lucky fans in attendance walked away with some first-edition merchandise with the new name and logo, as hats, t-shirts and even one of the new jerseys were raffled off throughout the night.
Fans can reserve their seats for the inaugural Heat season in the AHL by calling (209) 373-1500. For more information, visit StocktonThunder.com/ahl.
Images from this story
Stockton Heat Logo
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 12, 2015
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Release Goaltender Kenny Reiter - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Acquire Forward Ray Kaunisto as Trade Deadline Closes - Florida Everblades
- Aces Acquire LW Dean Chelios from the Indy Fuel in Exchange for Defenseman Quinn Sproule - Alaska Aces
- Fuel Acquire Sproule from Alaska - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - March 12 - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - March 12 - Wichita Thunder
- Aces Acquire Defenseman Landon Oslanski from the Missouri Mavericks in Exchange for Forward Tyler Cu - Alaska Aces
- Deadline Deal Sends Kaunisto to Florida for Futures - Evansville IceMen
- Tyler Currier Returns to the Mavericks in Trade with Aces; Landon Oslanski Dealt to Alaska - Kansas City Mavericks
- Dieude-Fauvel, Perry Return to Mallards; Rioux Back to Iowa - Quad City Mallards
- Akim Aliu Acquired from Bakersfield - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallards Jersey Auction Saturday Night to Benefit Genesis Family Connects - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Ink Rookie Garrick Perry - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavericks Acquire Karlsson and Vance from Steelheads; Missouri Trades Martin Lee to Idaho - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Acquire Defenseman from Missouri - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Acquire Goaltender Guggenberger from Gwinnett - Fort Wayne Komets
- Guggenberger to Fort Wayne for Futures - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades Acquire High-Scoring Forward Pierro-Zabotel - Florida Everblades
- Mavericks Acquire Three Players from Cyclones; Missouri Trades Jack Downing to Cincinnati - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gladiators Pick up Two from the Everblades - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Acquire Jack Downing from Missouri - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Warriors Aim for Largest ECHL Crowd this Season - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Falcons Recall DiPaolo from Reign - Ontario Reign
- Stingrays Add Goaltender Jeff Wyer - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Sign Rookie Defenseman Coldwell - Quad City Mallards
- Aces settle for one point in record 17-round shootout - Alaska Aces
- Eagles, Nixon Comeback against Aces After Shootout, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Stockton Heat Coming Fall 2015 - Stockton Thunder
- Shorthanded Thunder Battle Hard But Fall Short in Ontario - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Strike Thunder in 6-3 Win - Ontario Reign
- Idaho Puts Five on the Board in Win over Condors - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Thunder Stories
- Final Weather Report: All the News and Notes from the Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Announce End of the Year Equipment Sale
- Thunder Win Final ECHL Game in front of Sold Out Crowd
- Final Thunder Home Game at Stockton Arena at 7:30 p.m.
- Larocque Scores in Second Straight against Bakersfield but Team Falls