Aces Acquire LW Dean Chelios from the Indy Fuel in Exchange for Defenseman Quinn Sproule
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The Alaska Aces, three time Kelly Cup champions, and head coach Rob Murray announced today that the team has acquired left wing Dean Chelios from the Indy Fuel in exchange for defenseman Quinn Sproule.
Chelios, 25, will join the Aces in time for Saturday's series finale at Sullivan Arena against the Colorado Eagles, starting at 7:15 p.m. Chelios will wear jersey #26.
"Dean is a welcomed addition to our dressing room as a player with character that fits our core values," said Murray. "His passion and compete level are held in high regard and it's quite fitting, considering the respected reputation of his father at the NHL level. We're looking forward to his contributions from the outset."
Dean's father, Chris, is a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame (inducted in 2013) and skated in the National Hockey League as a defenseman for 26 seasons with Montreal, Chicago, Detroit and Atlanta, winning three Stanley Cup championships along with suiting up for the United States four times in the Winter Olympics, three times in the Canada Cup and twice in the World Cup. He currently serves the Detroit Red Wings as Advisor to Hockey Operations.
Chelios has suited up in 30 games with Indy in his first full season, carrying 13 points (2g-11a) and four penalty minutes. He made his debut with the Toledo Walleye last season, skating in eight games with four penalty minutes.
The 6-foot, 192 pound forward previously suited up in 139 career games in college with Michigan State Univ. (NCAA), collecting 53 points, 80 penalty minutes and a +6 rating. He earned a career-high 15 points (8g-7a) and +5 rating in 34 games as a 2011-12 junior.
The Detroit native joins Greg Wolfe on the Aces roster, formerly teammates at Michigan State. Dean's brother, Jake, is also currently skating in the American Hockey League with the Chicago Wolves.
Sproule, 24, has 13 points (5g-8a) in 36 games with the Aces this season. He was originally acquired by the Aces on Oct. 14, 2014 from the Idaho Steelheads in exchange for the rights to right wing Alex Belzile.
UPCOMING GAME INFORMATION
The Aces return to play tomorrow, hosting the Colorado Eagles at Sullivan Arena, starting at 7:15 p.m. (GCI/KFQD). Friday and Saturday, Mar. 13-14, the Aces will host a St. Patrick's Day emphasized weekend featuring event themed promotions and giveaways. The Aces will wear a specialty "Celtic inspired" jersey, available for bidding to all fans in attendance after Saturday's game.
The Aces are the official ECHL affiliate of the St. Louis Blues and Minnesota Wild of the NHL. Season ticket and sponsorship packages are currently available through the Aces office at 15th & Gambell. For more information, please call the Aces at 907.258.ACES or visit them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/alaskaaceshockey or visit them on Twitter, @AlaskaAces.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 12, 2015
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Release Goaltender Kenny Reiter - Reading Royals
- 'Blades Acquire Forward Ray Kaunisto as Trade Deadline Closes - Florida Everblades
- Aces Acquire LW Dean Chelios from the Indy Fuel in Exchange for Defenseman Quinn Sproule - Alaska Aces
- Fuel Acquire Sproule from Alaska - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - March 12 - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - March 12 - Wichita Thunder
- Aces Acquire Defenseman Landon Oslanski from the Missouri Mavericks in Exchange for Forward Tyler Cu - Alaska Aces
- Deadline Deal Sends Kaunisto to Florida for Futures - Evansville IceMen
- Tyler Currier Returns to the Mavericks in Trade with Aces; Landon Oslanski Dealt to Alaska - Kansas City Mavericks
- Dieude-Fauvel, Perry Return to Mallards; Rioux Back to Iowa - Quad City Mallards
- Akim Aliu Acquired from Bakersfield - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallards Jersey Auction Saturday Night to Benefit Genesis Family Connects - Quad City Mallards
- Cyclones Ink Rookie Garrick Perry - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavericks Acquire Karlsson and Vance from Steelheads; Missouri Trades Martin Lee to Idaho - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Acquire Defenseman from Missouri - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Acquire Goaltender Guggenberger from Gwinnett - Fort Wayne Komets
- Guggenberger to Fort Wayne for Futures - Atlanta Gladiators
- Everblades Acquire High-Scoring Forward Pierro-Zabotel - Florida Everblades
- Mavericks Acquire Three Players from Cyclones; Missouri Trades Jack Downing to Cincinnati - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gladiators Pick up Two from the Everblades - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Acquire Jack Downing from Missouri - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Warriors Aim for Largest ECHL Crowd this Season - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Falcons Recall DiPaolo from Reign - Ontario Reign
- Stingrays Add Goaltender Jeff Wyer - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Sign Rookie Defenseman Coldwell - Quad City Mallards
- Aces settle for one point in record 17-round shootout - Alaska Aces
- Eagles, Nixon Comeback against Aces After Shootout, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Stockton Heat Coming Fall 2015 - Stockton Thunder
- Shorthanded Thunder Battle Hard But Fall Short in Ontario - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Strike Thunder in 6-3 Win - Ontario Reign
- Idaho Puts Five on the Board in Win over Condors - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.