Crunch Downed by Amerks, 3-2
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch were downed by the Rochester Americans, 3-2, tonight at the Upstate Medical University Arena.
The loss snaps a four-game points streak and moves the team to 20-19-3-3 on the season and 1-2-2-0 in the 12-game season series against the Amerks.
Goaltender Spencer Martin stopped 36-of-39 shots in net for the Crunch, while Andrew Hammond recorded the win with 35 saves between the pipes for the Amerks. Syracuse converted on 1-of-4 power play opportunities and went a perfect 2-for-2 on the penalty kill.
Rochester opened scoring with 1:38 remaining in the first period. After a tie up following a left circle faceoff, Eric Cornel found the puck and fired in a wrister. Sean Malone earned the assist.
The Amerks doubled their lead 1:01 into the second stanza. Andrew Oglevie threw a cross-zone pass from along the left-wing boards that ricocheted off a skate and in.
The Crunch responded and stole one back with 5:01 remaining in the second period. Cal Foote passed down to Alex Barre-Boulet positioned at the post. He quickly dished it over for Danick Martel to chip in backdoor.
The Amerks regained their two-goal lead shorthanded after capitalizing on a mishandled puck 8:39 into the third period. Jean-Sebastien Dea stole the puck from Martin when he went behind the net to play it and wrapped around to tuck it across the goal line.
Syracuse started a late comeback with 1:42 remaining in the game when Foote sent home a shot from the high slot while on the power play, but the team couldn't find the equalizer and fell in regulation. Mathiue Joseph and Taylor Raddysh recorded points on the final goal.
The Crunch are back in action on Friday when they travel to Rochester to rematch the Amerks.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Alex Barre-Boulet is on a four-game points streak (2g, 3a)...Cal Foote has goals in back-to-back games.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 25, 2020
- 3-1 Win Sends Reign into Break - Ontario Reign
- San Antonio Rallies for 4-2 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Sweep Division-Leading Tucson, 4-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Iowa Edges out Manitoba 4-3 Saturday - Iowa Wild
- Iowa Holds Lead against Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Squander Two-Goal Lead, Lose 3-2 to Devils in a Shootout - Laval Rocket
- Stars Prevail in 5-3 Victory over Wolves - Texas Stars
- Griffins' Streak Ends on Goal by Grand Rapids Native Gates - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Hold off Crunch for Third Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Can't Hang with Stars - Chicago Wolves
- Bardreau, Hutton each score in the second period on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Earn One Point, Fall to Hershey Bears in Shootout, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- T-Birds Hit All-Star Break with Demonstrative Defeat of Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Gulls Rebound with Win at Grand Rapids - San Diego Gulls
- Phantoms Conclude Play Before All-Star Break - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Sweeps Lehigh Valley with 4-2 Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Devils Win Shootout Thriller Over Rocket, 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Bears Rally Late, Head into All-Star Break with Shootout Win at Providence - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Downed by Amerks, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Sens Head into Break with Victory over Utica - Belleville Senators
- Belleville Special Teams Too Much for Comets - Utica Comets
- Penguins Seize 4-2 Win over Checkers - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Topple Marlies in Overtime, 5-4 - Cleveland Monsters
- A Look Back at the Senators Road Trip - Belleville Senators
- Formenton Added to AHL All-Star Classic - Belleville Senators
- Game 40 Preview: Bakersfield at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Belleville's Formenton Added to Rosters for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 25, 2020 at Syracuse Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Close out Road Trip Today in Cleveland - Toronto Marlies
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Comets, January 25 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Bruins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Eagles Top Rampage with Third Period Surge - San Antonio Rampage
- LEGO & Autism Awareness Night Is Tonight vs. Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners Return Home Spoiled, Rematch Set For Tomorrow - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gawdin Pots a Pair as Heat Earn Point Friday - Stockton Heat
- Sutter's OT Shortie Wins it for Reign - Ontario Reign
- Iowa Shuts out Manitoba 1-0 Friday - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.