Cressey Gets Three Points in Win over League Leaders
The Reading Royals, proud affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers, defeated the Newfoundland Growlers, 3-1, Friday, Dec. 3rd at Mary Brown's Centre. Royals goaltender Pat Nagle saved 30 of 31 shots, while Growlers goalie Keith Petruzzelli saved 23 of 26.
The Royals got on the board first and did so off a juicy rebound tapped home by Jackson Cressey. Cressey scored his second goal of the season 10:23 into the first period on the power play. A shot from the left face-off circle from Dominic Cormier kicked off Petruzzelli's left pad out into the slot where Cressey was perfectly positioned to give Reading an early lead, 1-0.
3:54 into the 2nd period, Reading added some cushion to its lead. Grant Cooper found himself alone in the slot with the puck off a Growlers turnover and ripped a one-timer past Petruzzelli's blocker side. The Royals' two-goal lead wouldn't last for long, however, as the Growlers responded 10 minutes later. A shot from Matteo Pietroniro at the blue-line found its way through traffic, bounced off the post, and skipped to Marcus Power who ripped the loose puck top-shelf to make it 2-1.
The Royals went back up by two 1:30 into the 3rd period off the stick of Cressey again. Cam Strong carried the puck across the blue line and skated towards Petruzzelli's crease, throwing a shot on net that was initially saved by the netminder but rebounded to his left. Cressey tapped in the loose puck to earn his first ECHL multi-goal game and the insurance goal to put the Royals up, 3-1.
The Royals stay in Newfoundland for a Saturday night matchup with the Growlers Dec. 4th at 5:30 p.m. at Mary Brown's Centre.
Saturday, Dec. 11 vs. Adirondack - Affiliation Night! Celebrate the Royals' affiliation with the Flyers. Gritty will be at Santander Arena, a Kirill Ustimenko bobblehead will be given away presented by Savage Auto Group, the Royals will play on orange ice, fans will get chances to win gift cards during the game, and there will be a Teddy Bear Toss, postgame skate presented by T-Mobile, and postgame party presented by DoubleTree by Hilton Reading.
Buy tickets HERE: www.royalshockey.com/promotions
Reading Royals season, flex memberships and group tickets are available for the 2021-22 season by visiting the Royals' box office at Santander Arena or by calling 610-898-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 3, 2021
- Cherniwchan Makes Hats Fly, But Stingrays Fall in OT - South Carolina Stingrays
- Steelheads Earn Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Mavericks - Idaho Steelheads
- Gladiators Hand Admirals First Home Loss of the Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Landers Fall Friday in Ft. Wayne - Iowa Heartlanders
- Glads Get Revenge on Admirals - Atlanta Gladiators
- Freeman, Swamp Rabbits Outlast Stingrays in OT - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers Fight to the Finish in 3-2 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Lose 3-2 to Adirondack in a Special Teams Filled Game - Worcester Railers HC
- Payne's Highlight Reel Goal Derails Worcester, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Cressey Gets Three Points in Win over League Leaders - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall to the Royals 3-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 3 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Trim Roster - Orlando Solar Bears
- IceHogs Recall Goaltender Cale Morris - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Signs Forward Stinil - Wichita Thunder
- Florida Everblades Announce Partnership with Lexus - Florida Everblades
- Game Notes: at Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Gameday - Utah Grizzlies
- 5th Win in a Row for the Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Schmidlein to Make ECHL History as First Female On-Ice Official - ECHL
- Laura Schmidlein to Make ECHL History as First Female On-Ice Official at Railers Game December 11th - Worcester Railers HC
- Cyclones Home Ice Highlights: December 3-5 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Pritchard Looks to Stay Hot against Growlers at 5:30 - Reading Royals
- Glads Ready to Turn the Ship against Admirals - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rush Fall in Tulsa, 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Second Period Goal Explosion Leads to 6-4 Win over Worcester
- MLK Day Matchup with Worcester Set for 1:00 p.m. Puck Drop
- All-Star Pritchard Scores First Since December 1 in 2-1 Loss to Railers
- Royals Meet Worcester in Second Leg of Back-To-Back at DCU Center
- Ebbing Scores Twice as Royals Move into First Place