Growlers Fall to the Royals 3-1
The Newfoundland Growlers winning streak stopped at seven as they lost 3-1 to the Reading Royals on Friday night at Mary Brown's Centre.
Reading opened the scoring midway through the first period on the power play through Jackson Cressey as the Royals forward put home a rebound in front to make it 1-0 after 20 minutes.
The Royals would double their advantage just before the four-minute mark of the middle frame as Grant Cooper beat Growlers goalie Keith Petruzzelli, with Cressey picking up his second point of the night with the primary assist.
Newfoundland would respond before the second intermission as a Matteo Pietroniro point shot found its way through a crowd in the slot, kept out only by the post. Luckily for the home side, Marcus Power deposited the rebound to make it 2-1 going into the third period.
Cressey would make it three points on the night early in the third period when he banged home a loose puck in the Growlers crease with just over 17 minutes left to play.
Despite a late push from the Growlers, Reading held onto their two-goal lead as the visitors took game two of the three game set 3-1.
These two teams are set to face off once again tomorrow night in the rubber match at 7 pm.
Marcus Power passed Brady Ferguson to move solely into second place on the all-time Growlers points list with his second period goal.
Keith Petruzzelli made 23 saves in his first start with the team since November 13.
The Growlers have dropped the second game in each of their first three home stands to date.
1. REA - J. Cressley
2. REA - B. Low
3. NFL - M. Power
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 3, 2021
- Cherniwchan Makes Hats Fly, But Stingrays Fall in OT - South Carolina Stingrays
- Steelheads Earn Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Mavericks - Idaho Steelheads
- Gladiators Hand Admirals First Home Loss of the Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Landers Fall Friday in Ft. Wayne - Iowa Heartlanders
- Glads Get Revenge on Admirals - Atlanta Gladiators
- Freeman, Swamp Rabbits Outlast Stingrays in OT - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers Fight to the Finish in 3-2 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Lose 3-2 to Adirondack in a Special Teams Filled Game - Worcester Railers HC
- Payne's Highlight Reel Goal Derails Worcester, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Cressey Gets Three Points in Win over League Leaders - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall to the Royals 3-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - December 3 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Trim Roster - Orlando Solar Bears
- IceHogs Recall Goaltender Cale Morris - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Signs Forward Stinil - Wichita Thunder
- Florida Everblades Announce Partnership with Lexus - Florida Everblades
- Game Notes: at Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Gameday - Utah Grizzlies
- 5th Win in a Row for the Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Schmidlein to Make ECHL History as First Female On-Ice Official - ECHL
- Laura Schmidlein to Make ECHL History as First Female On-Ice Official at Railers Game December 11th - Worcester Railers HC
- Cyclones Home Ice Highlights: December 3-5 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Pritchard Looks to Stay Hot against Growlers at 5:30 - Reading Royals
- Glads Ready to Turn the Ship against Admirals - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rush Fall in Tulsa, 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.