Condors Knock Off Stockton 3-2
Bakersfield, Calif. - The Bakersfield Condors (7-5-0-0, 14pts) prevailed over the Stockton Thunder (4-5-1-1, 10pts) 3-2 in front of 4,948 fans at Rabobank Arena Tuesday night. D Sasha Pokulok scored a power play goal late in the third for the game-winner, to put the Condors in sole possession of first place in the Pacific Division. G Justin Pogge earned the win stopping 18 of 20 shots.
The first period was a back-and-forth affair, with both team mustering 10 shots on goal. Stockton drew
first blood on the night, however, with a power play goal by D Steve Vanoosten at 13:48. His drive from the blue line found its way past Condors G Justin Pogge through traffic. The first frame included a marathon tilt between 6-foot-4 Condors RW Erick Lizon and 6-foot-8 Thunder RW Riley Emmerson.
Bakersfield controlled much of the action in the second stanza, out-shooting the Thunder 16-5 and spending the majority of the period in the Stockton zone. LW Shawn Weller tied the game up at 2:23 when his wraparound banked in off LW Garet Hunt's skate for his 4th of the season. Thunder G Bryan Pitton made 15 saves in the frame and had 25 through 40 minutes.
The Condors pushed in front early in the third to take their first lead of the game. D John de Gray hammered in his 4th of the season at 4:52, finishing off a feed from LW Kyle Calder to make it 2-1. Stockton tied it up at 13:43 with C Oren Eizenman scoring on a 2-on-1 while shorthanded. But on that same Condors power play Bakersfield regained the advantage. Pokulok's shot from the blueline found the back of the net to make it 3-2 just 24 seconds later. Bakersfield had a 29-10 shot advantage over the final two periods.
The Condors take to the road for a pair of games in Alaska against the Aces on Friday and Saturday. Bakersfield then returns home for a 10:30 a.m. matinee contest on Tuesday, Nov. 18 against the Ontario Reign for the annual Businessperson's Special/Field Trip Day Game, sponsored by My 45, HOT 94.1 and Department of Public Health.
All Condors games can be heard live on ESPN 1230, or through live streaming on B2 Networks and www.bakersfieldcondors.com.
Notes from the Nest: G Justin Pogge played in his first game since Oct. 24 in Victoria after being recalled by the Anaheim Ducks... RW Dan Sexton, who registered a team-high eight shots, extended his point streak to four games (4g-2a-6pts)... The Condors out-shot Stockton 39-20, marking the ninth time in 12 games Bakersfield has out-shot their opponents this season... The Condors went 1-for-5 on the power play, while Stockton went 1-for-4... Three Stars of the Game: 1. Sasha Pokulok (BAK); 2. Shawn Weller (BAK); 3. Kyle Calder (BAK).
Season Ticket and mini-plans, starting at just $42, are on sale now. Fans can make Condors season tickets even more affordable by using Extended AutoPay, which is a program that allows you to spread your payments out through February, 2010. Purchase discounted tickets when you bring a group of 20 or more out to a Condors game. Stop by the Condors office or call 324-PUCK (7825) for remaining seat availability.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 11, 2009
- Royals Fall In Wild Finish In Johnstown, 6-4 - Reading Royals
- South Carolina Stings Trenton, 6-3 - Trenton Devils
- Everblades Gut Walleye 6-1 - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Cool Off Devils 6-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Jackals Press Release: Jackals Loan Justin Donati To Portland - Elmira Jackals
- Condors Sign C Gino Guyer - Bakersfield Condors
- Goaltender Matt Dalton Assigned To Reading - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Goaltender Brust Loaned to Blades; D-Man Kinley Traded to Wheeling - Florida Everblades
- Former NHL'er Joins K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nailers Announce Roster Moves - Wheeling Nailers
- James Bates Recalled To Springfield - Stockton Thunder
- Walleye Add Bryan Ewing - Toledo Walleye
- Beauchemin Returns From AHL, Nastiuk Released - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Have Cashman Recalled, Jozsa Returned - Cincinnati Cyclones
- MeiGray Group Accepting Orders For 2009-10 ECHL Game-Worn Jerseys - ECHL
- Game Preview: Rays At Trenton Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Salmon Kings Sign Jimmy Sharrow - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Engelland, O Marra Raise ECHL Players In NHL To 417 - ECHL
- Salmon Kings Ink D-Man Salekin - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Going Green With The Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Ellis Gets Early Morning Wake Up Call - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Condors Knock Off Stockton 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Pitton's 36 Saves Falls Shy, Pokulok Nets Game-Winner - Stockton Thunder
- Wranglers Nipped By Grizzlies, 3-2 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Grizzlies Battle For 3-2 Win In Las Vegas - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bakersfield Condors Stories
- American Hockey League Athletic Trainers Selected as Winners of Yanick Dupre Memorial Award
- AHL Announces Divisions; Schedule Unification in 2022-23
- Condors Sign Adam Cracknell to AHL Deal
- Condors Claim Pacific Division Title
- Finals Preview: Condors and Knights in Division Deciding Game 3 at 7 p.m.