James Bates Recalled To Springfield
STOCKTON, Calif. - The Stockton Thunder, the proud ECHL affiliate of the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League and Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League, announced right wing James Bates has been recalled from the Thunder to Springfield.
Bates, 24, signed an AHL contract with Springfield during the summer of 2008 and is tied for the Thunder lead in points (11) and goals (6) while suiting up in 11 games this year.
The native of Toronto, Ontario ranked fourth on the Thunder in scoring last year with 48 points (16g-32a) in 63 games, additionally tying for third in team scoring for the Kelly Cup Playoffs with 13 points (6g-7a) in 14 postseason games.
After Jan. 1, Bates proved to be one of the most prolific scorers on the Thunder roster and in the ECHL, producing a near point-per-game output with 38 points (13g-25a) in 39 games which was third on the Thunder and tied for 19th in the league.
The 6-foot-3, 195-pound winger participated in Oilers preseason camp this year and began his pro career with the Norfolk Admirals (AHL) in 2007-08, notching one assist in five games with nine penalty minutes. The Toronto, Ontario native played all four years (2004-08) college hockey career with Quinnipiac University (NCAA), skating in 143 career games while scoring 129 points (52g-77a) and adding 88 penalty minutes.
The Thunder was voted "Best Local Sports Team" by readers of the San Joaquin Magazine, has led the ECHL in attendance for four consecutive seasons and drew 223,854 fans to Stockton Arena in 2008-09. Season Tickets for 2009-10 are on sale now. For more information about tickets, merchandise, or other inquiries contact the Stockton Thunder offices at (209) 373-1500 or visit http://www.stocktonthunder.com/.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 11, 2009
- Royals Fall In Wild Finish In Johnstown, 6-4 - Reading Royals
- South Carolina Stings Trenton, 6-3 - Trenton Devils
- Everblades Gut Walleye 6-1 - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Cool Off Devils 6-3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Jackals Press Release: Jackals Loan Justin Donati To Portland - Elmira Jackals
- Condors Sign C Gino Guyer - Bakersfield Condors
- Goaltender Matt Dalton Assigned To Reading - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Goaltender Brust Loaned to Blades; D-Man Kinley Traded to Wheeling - Florida Everblades
- Former NHL'er Joins K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nailers Announce Roster Moves - Wheeling Nailers
- James Bates Recalled To Springfield - Stockton Thunder
- Walleye Add Bryan Ewing - Toledo Walleye
- Beauchemin Returns From AHL, Nastiuk Released - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Have Cashman Recalled, Jozsa Returned - Cincinnati Cyclones
- MeiGray Group Accepting Orders For 2009-10 ECHL Game-Worn Jerseys - ECHL
- Game Preview: Rays At Trenton Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Salmon Kings Sign Jimmy Sharrow - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Engelland, O Marra Raise ECHL Players In NHL To 417 - ECHL
- Salmon Kings Ink D-Man Salekin - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Going Green With The Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Ellis Gets Early Morning Wake Up Call - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Condors Knock Off Stockton 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Pitton's 36 Saves Falls Shy, Pokulok Nets Game-Winner - Stockton Thunder
- Wranglers Nipped By Grizzlies, 3-2 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Grizzlies Battle For 3-2 Win In Las Vegas - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Thunder Stories
- Final Weather Report: All the News and Notes from the Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Announce End of the Year Equipment Sale
- Thunder Win Final ECHL Game in front of Sold Out Crowd
- Final Thunder Home Game at Stockton Arena at 7:30 p.m.
- Larocque Scores in Second Straight against Bakersfield but Team Falls